This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else feels that Pandaria is kind of faceless?

#21PanzerscrapPosted 12/29/2012 11:16:44 AM
Elaeus posted...

See what I did there? But hey, at least I won't force it as a fact.

No one is forcing anything as fact. I will not refute anyone's claim to Cata having this great storyline, since it is highly subjective, as my own post was.

However, I would dispute anyone's claim that Cata had a storyline with as many complex factions (not talking about rep) and interlacing dependencies as Vanilla, TBC, Wrath or MoP. Deathwing was an epic foe, in some people's mind, to be sure, but for me it was as the OP might say faceless: evil dragon is evil.
#22ChaoticKanePosted 12/29/2012 11:17:10 AM
Elaeus posted...
angrywalrus13 posted...
For being the delivery boy for the end of the world, Deathwing didn't feel very dangerous. <_<

On the contrary, actually.

1- Changing the face of the world from what we are used to for years, that was reflected pretty well.
2- Having him roam in zones scoarching randomly.
3- Working with the Old Gods, and recruiting few of their most dangerous creations to his will.
4- Having a cult under his command.

I could go on, but if that doesn't feel dark and VERY end of world threatining to you, then sorry you have something wrong into your own indification to that concept.

I think the problem is that, after the initial questing, you never really saw Deathwing ever again until Dragon Soul. He just up and disappears for most of the expansion until suddenly everyone's ready to kill him. It's hard to develop a bond to a villain who's just never there. He never taunts you, and he doesn't even show up to tell his various minions and cohorts to fight you, he literally is gone for the vast majority of the expansion. His random world appearances were never an "oh crap, it's Deathwing!" situation, because there was no real impact to it, it was the opposite in fact, more so a "yay Deathwing's here so I can get an achievement!" feeling.

They gave him a reason to be feared with the Cataclysm, then just kept him out of the way so long that whatever impact the Cataclysm should have had, was worn out long before we actually fought him.
---
But lets not forget how deadly the zerg were in Starship troopers! Well until the Terrans got Marauders. - julbull73
#23RomeoMinolaPosted 12/29/2012 11:17:33 AM
Personally I'm just enjoying the fact that this expansion is just playing out around us rather than the typical campaign against one enemy. Not that I didn't enjoy how WotLK played out (well except the ToGC patch, that was as horrible as all of Cataclysm), I just think the more mellow pace of Pandaria has its merits as well. Personally Pandaria is just gorgeous and I love the feel of the expansion, I'm honestly dreading the day the next expac is announced because thinking about having to leave this gorgeous continent and having it become as barren as the rest of the game is completely tragic imo.
#24ElaeusPosted 12/29/2012 11:22:13 AM(edited)
ChaoticKane posted...
Elaeus posted...
angrywalrus13 posted...
For being the delivery boy for the end of the world, Deathwing didn't feel very dangerous. <_<

1- Changing the face of the world from what we are used to for years, that was reflected pretty well.
2- Having him roam in zones scoarching randomly.
3- Working with the Old Gods, and recruiting few of their most dangerous creations to his will.
4- Having a cult under his command.

I could go on, but if that doesn't feel dark and VERY end of world threatining to you, then sorry you have something wrong into your own indification to that concept.

I think the problem is that, after the initial questing, you never really saw Deathwing ever again until Dragon Soul. He just up and disappears for most of the expansion until suddenly everyone's ready to kill him. It's hard to develop a bond to a villain who's just never there. He never taunts you, and he doesn't even show up to tell his various minions and cohorts to fight you, he literally is gone for the vast majority of the expansion. His random world appearances were never an "oh crap, it's Deathwing!" situation, because there was no real impact to it, it was the opposite in fact, more so a "yay Deathwing's here so I can get an achievement!" feeling.

They gave him a reason to be feared with the Cataclysm, then just kept him out of the way so long that whatever impact the Cataclysm should have had, was worn out long before we actually fought him.

Nobody is also arguing against that; but have it occurred to you that it actually MIGHT be interesting to a good deal of people that he remained hidden in the background? Arthas representation was amazing and he will remain my favorite main villain for that reason, but it fitted Arthas. It wouldn't fit Deathwing the same way.

RomeoMinola posted...
Personally I'm just enjoying the fact that this expansion is just playing out around us rather than the typical campaign against one enemy. Not that I didn't enjoy how WotLK played out (well except the ToGC patch, that was as horrible as all of Cataclysm), I just think the more mellow pace of Pandaria has its merits as well. Personally Pandaria is just gorgeous and I love the feel of the expansion, I'm honestly dreading the day the next expac is announced because thinking about having to leave this gorgeous continent and having it become as barren as the rest of the game is completely tragic imo.

Not going to rediscuss Cataclysm, but even ToGC WAS actualy fitting as well in WotLK because it closed a good gab and was needed in the storyline. It just came too soon and dragged for too long.
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#25Wyrmwarrior5Posted 12/29/2012 11:41:49 AM
I think the big thing I like about MoP is that it's very humbling, and it shows the pointlessness of the Horde/Alliance war. It starts off with both factions just showing up on an unknown land and immediately just going at each other's throats, because darn it my faction is clearly superior and the other one sucks! Then after you screw a bunch of stuff up and cause all matter of problems, it suddenly you just pause for a second, and you're like "wait, what am I doing?" Then you look around at all the problems you caused and suddenly you feel like a giant dick.

I think that's the thing people don't get when it comes to this expansion. For once we're not the big awesome good guys off to save the world once again from some big bad. For the most part, we're simply cleaning up the messes that we caused. We are the bad guys here. If our factions hadn't shown up and started wrecking the place, none of the current issues in Pandaria would be happening.
---
http://breadfish.de/
http://thebest404pageever.com = best website ever.
#26angrywalrus13Posted 12/29/2012 11:51:34 AM
Elaeus posted...
angrywalrus13 posted...

2- Having him roam in zones scorching everything in his path randomly.
4- Having a very dangerous cult under his command.

I could go on, but if that doesn't feel dark and VERY end of world threatening to you, then sorry you have something wrong into your own identification to that concept.

Forgive my feels.

I just mean that Deathwing was written so poorly and we interact with him so little that he doesn't feel like a big deal. Obviously if you step back and look at the facts of the matter he's a big threat (that's kind of the point?), but the story cohesion in Cataclysm is so weak that I never really got that sense in my 2 years of playing it.

It may just be that Dragon Soul kind of sucked as a delivery of killing this guy we all grew to hate over those two years so it just left a very sour taste in my mouth.
---
Thomx
like tommicks