This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much longer can this game last?

#1Slyk90Posted 1/5/2013 10:51:41 AM
8 years later and still $15 a month?
They really should slash that in half to attract new players.
---
/\/ / /\/_/ /\ G A I D E N
#2Right_Chus_1Posted 1/5/2013 10:59:42 AM(edited)
Once similiar games have fallen into the dead catagory, meaning devs say they arent focusing on it much anymore they have lasted for 10+ years. I would expect the same from WoW except for it to last maybe a little longer. So 10-15 years from once the devs abandon it would be my guess going off of similiar but worse games. Even with a subscription.
#3Coop14Posted 1/5/2013 10:55:10 AM
With 10 (More likely 9) million subscribers something tells me they arent concerned about profit.
---
On the WoW board today, Coop14 becomes the most desired male on the board in the span of a single day. -
Wyrmwarrior5
#4ElaeusPosted 1/5/2013 11:03:03 AM
I think its mostly up to when the genre itself stops being the "thing", if ever. The game is growing rapidly and the people that are leaving are getting compensated by new comers frequently which leave in turn at points for people to return, etc...

The reason in my opinion is because even games with far less subscribers are still up and kicking after ten or more years, so why wouldn't this with superior numbers of subs?
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#5kaitokunPosted 1/5/2013 11:14:46 AM
The game will continue until it is no longer profitable. Ultima online is still up and running after all.
---
i5 3570k | Asrock b75 pro3 |9800 gt | 8 GB DDR3 1600MHz | Antec EA-650W | 1 TB HDD | Cooler Master elite 431+
#6XtraTPosted 1/5/2013 11:24:42 AM
How much longer can McDonald last?

They should just cut all their burger price in half to attract new customers.
---
Grand Marshal/Gladiator Priest, Lightplol.
PvE gladiator holy paladin, Lightp.
#7R_JackalPosted 1/5/2013 11:36:03 AM
It will last for a long, long time.

And when it begins to get unprofitable, they'll probably drop it to F2P with a transmog/mount/whatever else cash shop with a sub option with perks.
#8Slyk90(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2013 11:51:53 AM
All valid inputs. I hope it continues to grow.
---
/\/ / /\/_/ /\ G A I D E N
#9MrBigJohnsonPosted 1/5/2013 1:21:18 PM
It will, it's the most commercially sucessful game, since ever.
---
Even addiction has diminishing returns.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kelthuzad/Marisette/advanced
#10DawnshadowPosted 1/5/2013 2:44:43 PM
Everquest peaked at less than a million players and WoW "killed" even that small base.

They released a new expansion just recently.

WoW still has millions of players. It's not dying anytime soon. However, I think it will continue to shed players through attrition; almost anyone who wants to play it already has, so the players gained won't match the attrition rate.They may eventually need to bite the bullet and consolidate servers, though, depending on how many players they do end up losing. But even if they end up going down to a dozen servers, I think there will be enough players to keep it running.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/