This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much longer can this game last?

#11chinezekid1Posted 1/5/2013 2:49:53 PM
will cutting the price in half get them 10 million new subs?

no. so why would they do it?
---
-toxic
#12ViperEO2Posted 1/5/2013 3:45:00 PM
I honestly don't think many people are going to be much more likely to play the game for $7.50 instead of 15$.
#13DrkMagicianPosted 1/5/2013 3:48:20 PM
They wont consolidate servers, thats how the spectacular cluster*beep* known as Cross Realm Zoning was born, yo.
#14InfestedAdamPosted 1/5/2013 4:19:13 PM
At the minimum don't most MMOs only need about some hundred of thousands subscribers to stay afloat. At the worst I'll imagine Blizzard will simply start merging servers regardless of how few are left so long as there's profit in it.

I'll imagine some of the original creators would hate to see the game reduced to that state and kept on life support but so long as it's bringing in profit there's no monetary reason to close it I'll say.
---
"You must gather your party before venturing forth"
"Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!"
#15cyanide_suicidePosted 1/5/2013 4:40:18 PM
I doubt that slashing the price of the subscription would bring in enough new people to cover the lost revenue. $15 a month is only two hours of minimum wage in the US. It's already almost nothing. A month of entertainment already costs less than a single night out. A lot of other games go free-to-play when they're dying to bring in more players and more revenue through microtransactions. WoW may be past it's peak, but it's far from dying. It's still an absolute behemoth many companies and developers have challenged but failed miserably to defeat.

Now if Blizz wanted to increase their revenue tenfold, they would start selling these for a few dollars a pop.
http://www.wowhead.com/item=86574
#16inferiorweaselPosted 1/5/2013 10:51:47 PM
Slyk90 posted...
8 years later and still $15 a month?
They really should slash that in half to attract new players.

10 million plus disagree with you. It will last decades yet. Just look at EQ, UO, DAC, And other mmorpgs of the past. FFXI still charges the same and is still going.
---
Live and Learn / Forgiveness is Divine.
(Read those. If you still feel the same way.... Well, you are redcount. - Vyyk)
#17TheAncientMonkPosted 1/5/2013 10:58:20 PM
$15 is the price-point for a reason. Financial forecasting to optimize profits is practically a science. Cut the cost in half would certainly not double the player base in addition to covering additional overhead.
#18metroidfreakv4Posted 1/6/2013 1:48:26 AM
Considering how much of a success this expansion is, This re surged many peoples hopes in this game after the failure of Cataclysm post 5.04.
---
WotLK ending cinematic: Arthas:Farther.....is this over?....
Farther:no my son....the raid resets next week..
#19yamidanyPosted 1/6/2013 2:01:23 AM
prolly the extremely hardcore players are not playing anymore, but casual and normal ones come back and play for 1-2 months every 5-6 months of rest, and casual ones like the game that the game is a bit easier than before, so its really far from dying.

Wow got 12mill subs but they never play at the same time, say 8 mill are casuals that come and go everytime, the game will always get around 1mill players betwen say 50 servers makes it 20k players at every server, some sleeping-working-dating-living-etc so at any time you can encounter at least 5k players playing at your server.

so its really active.
#20magemaximusPosted 1/6/2013 2:51:08 AM
inferiorweasel posted...
Slyk90 posted...
8 years later and still $15 a month?
They really should slash that in half to attract new players.

10 million plus disagree with you. It will last decades yet. Just look at EQ, UO, DAC, And other mmorpgs of the past. FFXI still charges the same and is still going.

you also have to pay $1 for every new character you create in FFXI online. pretty lame.
---
You can't persuade fanboys. You'd be better off trying to convince a wall. ~CodeNamePlasmaSnake~