This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

...so you can get suspended just for swearing now?

#21DivineWraithPosted 1/9/2013 9:42:28 PM
I enjoy reporting people who use vulgar language in a public setting. Not because it's offensive though. I do it because it's funny, and I know it makes them angry when account action is taken. Blizzard sanctioned in-game trolling at it's finest.

Tuesdays in Kun-lai are great for this. Sha of Anger really does bring out the anger in people, so much swearing, so many reports.
#22MakeHatePosted 1/9/2013 9:48:47 PM
Still not as bad as the banning that took place when GW2 first released. The tears flowed for a long time. The best part was when so many people claimed they didnt do anything, so Anet went on reddit and let people post their names to see why they were banned. They would then publicly post their chat logs for everyone to see, and everyone shut up quickly.
---
"but you still have to use a keyboard which was made for word processing back in the early 90s with MSdos" -The_Big_Deek
#23OniLink5000Posted 1/9/2013 10:29:16 PM
fair
next
---
Good. You didn't skip over this line of text. This part of the post is actually quite significant and very, very important.
#24BobTDonutPosted 1/9/2013 11:05:31 PM
You can swear, just not in public channels, ie General, Trade, Local/World Defense, and any instance chats. You can swear in whispers, guild, party, raid, and any sort of private channels. Even then, depending on what you say it can still be reported for something else.

Assuming this was in a public channel (thinking LFR?), then you just happen to get caught. If it was in a private channel (aka raid chat in a pug), then you probably got hit not because of the swear, but because you directly told them to "f*** you".

Also, the mature language filter is there for the private channels, where swearing is allowed, and is by no means an excuse to swear in public channels.
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/black-dragonflight/Arpandaday/advanced
http://i.imgur.com/SpVUU.jpg
#25redundanciesPosted 1/10/2013 6:40:34 AM
Back in BC I got a warning for saying in trade "Goddammit people, stop f***ing swearing!" when people were, well, swearing. I thought it was funny...apparently someone else didn't and reported me.

Also:

Mature Language Filter

WAT DIS DU?

Irrelevant. The existence of the language filter does not give you carte blanche to break the ToS.
#26Brian972Posted 1/10/2013 6:53:10 AM
lol, sorry TayTay, I won't be tanking for you either!
---
I'll be honest: 2% milk is delicious and the chinese can't be trusted.
#27InfestedAdamPosted 1/10/2013 7:34:34 AM(edited)
BobTDonut posted...
You can swear, just not in public channels, ie General, Trade, Local/World Defense, and any instance chats. You can swear in whispers, guild, party, raid, and any sort of private channels.

That's new to me, the ToS specifically state that? I thought it just said no vulgar language in general.

This is the only thing I found on the ToS pertaining to colourful languages.

B. Rules Related to "Chat" and Interaction With Other Users. Communicating in-game with other Users and Blizzard representatives, whether by text, voice or any other method, is an integral part of the Game and the Service and is referred to here as "Chat." When engaging in Chat, you may not: ..........

I didn't want to post a wall of text but the ToS link is:

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_tou.html

From what I can gather from that the rule applies to all form of communication. Where did you find it stating that whispers, guild chat, party/raid chat and private are exempted from the rules?

---
"You must gather your party before venturing forth"
"Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!"
#28HakPosted 1/10/2013 7:33:34 AM
Taken directly from the WoW TOU;

BLIZZARD MAY SUSPEND, TERMINATE, MODIFY, OR DELETE ANY BNET ACCOUNT OR WORLD OF WARCRAFT ACCOUNT AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON OR FOR NO REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE TO YOU. For purposes of explanation and not limitation, most account suspensions, terminations and/or deletions are the result of violations of this Terms of Use or the EULA.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_tou.html

They can do what they like, when they like, and you have no recourse. However, more specifically, they also have;

(i) Transmit or post any content or language which, in the sole and absolute discretion of Blizzard, is deemed to be offensive, including without limitation content or language that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, sexually explicit, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable, nor may you use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent the content and language restrictions listed above;

Since pretty much anything could be deemed offensive to someone, you just need to accept it and move on.
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa