This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Brazilian issue is getting rather out of hand. Let's be honest here.

#131AssultTankPosted 1/17/2013 11:10:37 PM
Sternblume posted...
I think the only real problem is the language barrier, which most people here are too lazy to learn properly. =/

Not necessarily lazy though. Some of us have taken the time to learn other languages, but not everyone can speak every single language on the planet. And even if they do decide to break the language barrier, it may not be in such a way as to be able to communicate with people from Brazil.

The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language says that estimates of total living languages in the world vary from 3,000 to 10,000.
Taken from Wiki answers, so take it with a grain of salt but...

With over 3,000 languages to choose from, it isn't necessarily laziness to not learn one.
If I had to learn the languages of everyone I could possibly be grouped with on US servers, I would have to learn all the major languages and several minor ones.

As it is, I speak English and passable Spanish. I'm not anywhere near fluent in Spanish, but I can get by enough to carry on conversations with native speakers. Is it laziness that I don't know French, Japanese, Italian, Polish, German, Swedish, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Nigerian, and Icelandic?

I know you said most people, so you're going to come back with that I am the exception and not the rule. But no, I am not going to try to learn a third language just so I can communicate with people on a game. They may not want to either, and that is fine with me, but they should be split into their own servers so they aren't required to do so. I feel the EU should be handled the same way, but it probably won't be.
---
http://wh.gov/RI5h Petition to declare Westboro Baptist Church a hate group.
John 6:53 Jesus promoting cannibalism.
#132steveoSEKPosted 1/17/2013 11:16:56 PM
that's just it. a lot of americans can at least understand(not exactly speak) a minor amount of spanish because of just how many spanish speakers there are up here.

there aren't really many portugese speakers here. you got the folks from the Azores up in cape cod, but the brazilians are few and scattered all about. there's not enough exposure to it to pick any of it up.
---
http://i47.tinypic.com/1t0njr.jpg http://gurn.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/eek-a-mouse.jpg http://i47.tinypic.com/2zo90xw.jpg
#133AssultTankPosted 1/17/2013 11:21:18 PM(edited)
steveoSEK posted...
that's just it. a lot of americans can at least understand(not exactly speak) a minor amount of spanish because of just how many spanish speakers there are up here.

there aren't really many portugese speakers here. you got the folks from the Azores up in cape cod, but the brazilians are few and scattered all about. there's not enough exposure to it to pick any of it up.

I think you're overestimating how prolific spanish knowledge is here in the USA...

I'd say roughly 90% of the population(estimate not a hard number) doesn't speak ANY spanish outside of hello, goodbye, friend, speak, no, yes, and good.

I live in Atlanta. I hear more ghetto slang, which I still don't understand, than I hear English. I hear more English than I hear Spanish.
---
http://wh.gov/RI5h Petition to declare Westboro Baptist Church a hate group.
John 6:53 Jesus promoting cannibalism.
#134steveoSEKPosted 1/17/2013 11:34:59 PM
steveoSEK posted...

I think you're overestimating how prolific spanish knowledge is here in the USA...

I'd say roughly 90% of the population(estimate not a hard number) doesn't speak ANY spanish outside of hello, goodbye, friend, speak, no, yes, and good.

I live in Atlanta. I hear more ghetto slang, which I still don't understand, than I hear English. I hear more English than I hear Spanish.

i live in st. louis, the bastard love child of atlanta and boston. but i also have family in california and arizona so i've been around it enough.
---
http://i47.tinypic.com/1t0njr.jpg http://gurn.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/eek-a-mouse.jpg http://i47.tinypic.com/2zo90xw.jpg
#135Lightning BoltPosted 1/18/2013 12:29:59 AM(edited)
- About Brazilians being "bad" (such overused and childish denomination) at WoW:

US players play WoW since November 2004.
95% of Brazilian players play WoW since December 2011.

I'm not sure, but I think if I had 7 years of exposure and training to any kind of game, I'd be much better than someone that just started.

Are you trying to say that all or even most American players have been playing since the beginning? And are you saying that 2 years is too short a time to learn to play? >.>
I know I haven't been playing for 7 years, or even two, but I'm nowhere that bad.
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
#136Colonel_SnitskyPosted 1/18/2013 3:45:37 AM
onslaught49 posted...
US get brazilians, EU gets russians... its just how it is :/

/topic
---
Currently playing: LoL
#1 Yordle hunter >_>
#137Skeletal_KingPosted 1/18/2013 5:49:23 AM(edited)
There are polite and rude people everywhere. US players just notice rude Brazilians more because they are from another country (thus easier to point fingers and blame as a group). This in turn makes Brazilian players even more defensive when grouping with people from other regions, so things just get worse and worse over time. And as gamefaqs always proudly displays, US have way more trolls (in-game, using forums, etc) than... Just about the whole rest of the world together.

Picture this.

I'm in a dungeon with a group.
Everyone but myself is brazilian, but I don't know this.
Suddenly, the group goes the wrong way.
I say "Guys, wrong way. This is the right way"
Then "kick worthles amercan" / "amercan in group kick" / "useless american" / something along those lines
YOU HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM GROUP

That has happened in almost EVERY. SINGLE. BRAZILIAN GROUP. I HAVE EVER BEEN GROUPED WITH.

In fact, I have been only been in ONE brazilian group where I was not automatically kicked for speaking english.
In fact, those people actually went above and beyond to try and communicate with me. That's right. ...Google Translate <_< (Well, I assume they did, I used google translate)

But every single other group? Kicked because I'm not Brazilian.

I concede that point. How come anyone in this day and age can't speak english? Funny thing is, yesterday I was in a 5 man heroic random when a Brazilian healer asked, in a very rudimentary english, for the hunter to step out of fire. The US players, instead of encouraging his attempt, correcting him or even just ignoring him, decided to gift him with "ROFL SHUT UP BRAZILIAN MONKEY". Way to go.

Lol. I cannot count the number of times that I have been personally attacked by Brazilians because I don't speak portugese, or I'm not Brazilian.

In fact, anytime I hear someone ask me "br?" (Or even have the nerve to speak English near a Brazilian player) I automatically put them on ignore because I know that as soon as I say "No." or "No, Canadian" I know that a string of horribly broken english insults are going to be hurled my way.

- Brazilian players' performance is worse because they have 7 less years of WoW;

it's not even just World of Warcraft, it's practically EVERY game in existence.

tl;dr STEREOTYPES EXIST FOR A REASON.
---
http://backloggery.com/kodan882 <- Anything I'm currently playing
#138SternblumePosted 1/18/2013 2:30:40 PM
I feel like I'm in a public lynching here, but I'll try anyway. Please try to let your biases down for just a second and maybe consider that some of your thoughts and opinions might not be the absolute truth (I know mine aren't).

@Bolt

Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to say. I play this game much better now than 4 years ago. I played with US players long before the Brazilian realms were up, and when I started, US players made the same type of mistakes that new Brazilian players do now. My brother began playing when WotLK came out, and he is a bit behind me skillwise, but better than the new players. It's no rocket science, really. More time of exposure and training = better performance. There is no magical regional gene that make people suck at videogames. If you can't see that, I wash my hands on the subject.

@Tank

Far from me stating that everyone should learn every language on the planet, but not learning ENGLISH? God, you can't use 9/10 of the internet nowadays if you don't have a passable knowledge of english. About the laziness statement, you have to believe me - I live here, and (most) people ADMIT not learning english because they are lazy or "don't have time", while they do have time to watch soup operas, endless soccer games and reality shows.

@Skelly

But that is my point exactly! There are idiots in both sides. I could list the exact same complaints you have coming from some Brazilian guildmates here. I must be extremely lucky, because I never had or saw this kind of thing happening in pugs, LFRs and even at BGs. In fact, two of my best friends on WoW (I met them IRL last July) are from Georgia (the US state, not the country =P). And, like I said, I play since early BC.

About your tl;dr: I hate quoting Wikipedia, but here goes: "A stereotype is a thought that may be adopted about specific types of individuals or certain ways of doing things, but that belief may or may not accurately reflect reality."

See, Steve posted this yesterday:

"i've met competent Brazilian players before. it's a case of the bad apples ruining it for the whole bunch combined with a cultural issue and a language barrier. it's bad news."

He nailed it about the "bad apples". But you can find those in every basket. You know, I just wish I could get you guys to do some raids with my guild (80% Brazilians), so you could see the other side of the coin. I'm sure y'all would be pleasantly surprised.
#139pres_madagascarPosted 1/18/2013 2:49:46 PM
The way to tell someone is good is that they dont say anything at all because they're doing their jobs.
---
This is the prowess of CE. Romantic masters, clearly:
http://i.imgur.com/XgMJl.jpg http://i.imgur.com/njX88.jpg
#140Lightning BoltPosted 1/18/2013 3:16:02 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to say

Lmao, Brazilians, always good for a laugh.
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev