This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is Human Paladin the right combo for me?

#1MarzPosted 1/15/2013 5:46:12 PM
I'll try to make this as simplified as possible.
I've never done any serious raiding, or end-game content. the highest level I've ever reached on a character is my current lvl 85 undead monk. I've also pretty much always played Horde.

Having said that, this is what I like doing:
-going through old content, and soloing dungeons/raising reputations to exalted for achievements
-being able to solo content for transmog purposes
-playing random battlegrounds and feeling a sense of contribution towards a win

I thought a Human Paladin would help with these things nicely. I think I'd like a character that isn't as squishy as I feel as with this monk, and I think I enjoy support roles in this game. I've also never experienced anything from an Alliance perspective.

I have enough money to get 3 guild heirlooms (helm, cape, pants) for the character, and enough honor to get the PvP heirloom shoulders to help level him up. I'm not sure which versions to get though.

I think I'd have fun leveling as Protection, but I've never tanked and find the idea of it to be intimidating, especially not knowing the dungeons very well (I've usually dungeoned only as DPS and just followed the group). I've also heard Holy is great for PvP, but then my gear would have to be totally different, which affects heirloom choice.

I was wondering if some Pallies can weigh in on their thoughts after reading this, thanks~!
---
~!
#2BoogyyPosted 1/15/2013 5:51:36 PM
Sounds like a human blood DK to me
---
Flowers are really unbalance
#3JohnnyShred612Posted 1/15/2013 5:52:12 PM
Paladin is a great class, as someone who has leveled one to cap on a few different occasions -- dwarf paladin to 60 in vanilla, then started fresh on a human paladin to 80 in Wrath and 85 in Cata, then a race change to Draenei to 90 in MoP with a few others that didn't make it to cap on various servers. You'll have a good time if you want to feel more powerful, and it'll be a big playstyle shift from monk, just be prepared for a slow start. Paladins spend the first ten levels or so waiting for buttons to press.

Tanking, if you want to do that, isn't terribly intimidating as a paladin. Pretty simple rotation to learn, actually, and a predominant amount of early dungeons are point A to B without much capacity to get lost. Also, in my experience, most groupies are pretty understanding with "Never been here before, let me know if I'm going the wrong way."

I prefer Prot/Ret over Holy, but then again, I've never given Holy a real try. Also, if you're going for an "Alliance experience", it doesn't get much more Alliance-y than being a human paladin. They're what you think of when you picture one race/class combo to define the Alliance.

Go for it!
---
All Hail Lord Emery
http://i.imgur.com/TgeHa.jpg
#4Egxamer1Posted 1/15/2013 5:53:03 PM
A Human Paladin is the right combo for anyone and everyone should have a Paladin. Take it from me I'm trustworthy
---
I am slaying all the bosses, I am winning all the dailies, I am doing all the dps, I am dating Mila Kunis, I am killing all the arenas, I belief in my Smelf.
#5Marz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2013 1:07:23 AM
Boogyy posted...
Sounds like a human blood DK to me

I was thinking this as well. but I know Dks aren't doing too hot in PvP right now, and I think the mobility contrast from a monk to them might drive me to drink.. though I was considering them for sure. just the PvP aspect will shy me away.

JohnnyShred612 posted...
Paladin is a great class, as someone who has leveled one to cap on a few different occasions -- dwarf paladin to 60 in vanilla, then started fresh on a human paladin to 80 in Wrath and 85 in Cata, then a race change to Draenei to 90 in MoP with a few others that didn't make it to cap on various servers. You'll have a good time if you want to feel more powerful, and it'll be a big playstyle shift from monk, just be prepared for a slow start. Paladins spend the first ten levels or so waiting for buttons to press.

Tanking, if you want to do that, isn't terribly intimidating as a paladin. Pretty simple rotation to learn, actually, and a predominant amount of early dungeons are point A to B without much capacity to get lost. Also, in my experience, most groupies are pretty understanding with "Never been here before, let me know if I'm going the wrong way."

I prefer Prot/Ret over Holy, but then again, I've never given Holy a real try. Also, if you're going for an "Alliance experience", it doesn't get much more Alliance-y than being a human paladin. They're what you think of when you picture one race/class combo to define the Alliance.

Go for it!

thank you very much! and yeah, a human paladin is definitely the poster boy for the alliance. the vanilla dungeons I wouldn't be too worried about, but it's the expansion ones that would start to make me nervous, especially when bosses start having wacky mechanics and events happen. i guess I just have to study up in the dungeon journals.

I'm hesitant to get the tank heirlooms, because what if I change my mind and want to go Ret? or what if I do decide to make a Frost or Unholy DK later? I don't have lots of resources to get multiple heirloom sets so it's a tough choice.
---
~!
#6webbc99Posted 1/16/2013 4:05:12 AM
Paladins are great. All three specs are really nice and fun to play, however I would consider Warrior or DK if you're absolutely not looking to heal.

Warrior is just as good, if not better for soloing. Equally good transmogs (although Paladins do get Judgement, the best armour in the game).

Retribution is very good from a support point of view, but some of the mechanics are a bit frustrating in random BG.

Holy, however, is absolutely amazing, and very fun. The burst healing it can put out feels so good.

Paladin could well be the class for you, especially if you think you'll heal, but I would take a look at Warrior and DK, too.

I actually rerolled from Warrior to Paladin at the start of MoP, but found that I missed my Warrior too much so had to go back. I still play the Paladin for Healing though. I think one of the problems with Paladins is that they only really have one tier of talents where it's an interesting choice (Holy Avenger, Sanctified Wrath or Divine Purpose), whereas with Warrior, the only tier I have never changed is the one with Second Wind on it. I change between tier 4 and 6 multiple times per dungeon because I love using the different skills.
---
PSN: Toastie88 | XBL: Griever88 | Steam: webbc99
Playing: World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, PSASBR
#7Marz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2013 2:38:38 PM
webbc99 posted...
Paladins are great. All three specs are really nice and fun to play, however I would consider Warrior or DK if you're absolutely not looking to heal.

Warrior is just as good, if not better for soloing. Equally good transmogs (although Paladins do get Judgement, the best armour in the game).

Retribution is very good from a support point of view, but some of the mechanics are a bit frustrating in random BG.

Holy, however, is absolutely amazing, and very fun. The burst healing it can put out feels so good.

Paladin could well be the class for you, especially if you think you'll heal, but I would take a look at Warrior and DK, too.

I actually rerolled from Warrior to Paladin at the start of MoP, but found that I missed my Warrior too much so had to go back. I still play the Paladin for Healing though. I think one of the problems with Paladins is that they only really have one tier of talents where it's an interesting choice (Holy Avenger, Sanctified Wrath or Divine Purpose), whereas with Warrior, the only tier I have never changed is the one with Second Wind on it. I change between tier 4 and 6 multiple times per dungeon because I love using the different skills.

I'm considering those classes as well, though I think a Holy Paladin as support in a BG would be a huge table-turner. any BGs I've lost on the way to 85 have been because the other team had healers, or more healers.

I'm thinking of Prot and leveling as a Tank, it just seems daunting to me, especially with the zero patience players seem to have nowadays.
---
~!
#8Marz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2013 2:47:07 PM
and to be honest I think the DK would be a great choice as well, I just hear they're in a terrible place in PvP
---
~!
#9Marz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 1:14:43 AM
bump D:
---
~!
#10thelastmohiganPosted 1/17/2013 5:53:12 AM
If you want to create the most bland character of all time human pally is easily the right choice.