This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tera (large competitor) going Free to play in febuary

#31inferiorweaselPosted 1/17/2013 9:42:44 PM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
wow nevermind you guys are totally fanboying it up here. i thought id get an intelligent conversation but instead its just "lol every game sucks but wow its the best i will spend my life savings on it"

You have recieved intelligent conversation. Blizzard answers to shareholders. If they jumped back up to 10 million with Pandaria why would they ever consider scrapig a subscription model? You're the one with unintelligent expectations. Even if wow went back down to it's 400,000 player base, they would stay subscription based and make a killer profit. F2P is in newer franchise interests because they have to compete with wow.

A wow play won't sub for 2 games, but f2p? Well that wow player will play other games not wow. So instead of competing for dollars, the f2p system allows companies to share player bases.

You have failed to understand the economic conditions that created f2p. Lord of the rings would have shut down and been scrubbed if not for it's desperate jump into f2p.
---
Live and Learn / Forgiveness is Divine.
(Read those. If you still feel the same way.... Well, you are redcount. - Vyyk)
#32thatguy181Posted 1/18/2013 1:52:02 PM
I don’t think there is any sort of “real competitor” to WoW out there on the market right now. Many games have had the chance to do so, some of them arguably even had the steam to do so (SWTOR) but ultimately they’ve all failed to even approach the empire that Blizzard has carved for themselves in the MMO landscape.

If first place has an imaginary score of say… 10 million, and then there’s a bunch of second place “competitors” whose scores are MAYBE 2 million, are they really competitors?

I don’t see WoW going free to play anytime soon. I don’t think it’s because “free to play” means a failed game, I think they won’t because they don’t need to. While the F2P games have seen some success, especially LOTRO, none of them ever came close to the success Blizzard has seen with WoW, either when they weren’t F2P or now that they are F2P. From a purely capitalistic viewpoint, why should Blizzard change their subscription method when it’s generating somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 million a month not counting race changes, server transfers, faction transfers, name changes, the pet/mount store, or whatever other sources of random income they get? Why shake the boat? It won’t happen when their closest competitors are so distant they can barely see them in the rearview mirror.

Until a game comes along that really challenges WoW, that really threatens it, you will see no such change.
#33Lucavi000Posted 1/18/2013 9:21:56 PM
Tera a large competitor? bwhahahaha.
---
i dont play singleplayer games too much. I beat it then quit it, like my exgirlfriends. -- Little Zardar
#34RetributionV2Posted 1/18/2013 11:08:51 PM
I'm excited that Tera is going FTP. I loved the game but couldn't afford playing it AND WoW.
---
>2012
>Not using meme arrows
#35inferiorweaselPosted 1/19/2013 1:13:39 AM
RetributionV2 posted...
I'm excited that Tera is going FTP. I loved the game but couldn't afford playing it AND WoW.

Case in point.
---
Live and Learn / Forgiveness is Divine.
(Read those. If you still feel the same way.... Well, you are redcount. - Vyyk)
#36Ravenius_sorsPosted 1/19/2013 5:28:22 AM
You do realize F2P is a last resort option for an MMO to salvage the dying game? If Tera didnt go F2P they would probably die.
#37SxmfctPosted 1/19/2013 6:44:26 AM
I almost bought Tera a few months back because I thought it was F2P

Glad I didn't
---
"PC's are stupid. There's basically nothing PC can do that an Xbox can't." - GorillaOnRoof
#38ElaeusPosted 1/19/2013 6:54:21 AM(edited)
People that respond to such obvious trolling are really to be felt sorry for..
If post #12 didn't give it away to you guys then I dunno what should. Especially people that quoted and gave an intelligent response to it.

Half of the posts here are literally providing too much life insurance to a bad troll topic that it breaks my heart. :(
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#39HexrapperPosted 1/19/2013 8:25:50 AM
The guys in TERA are just as hot as the girls.

TERA was a fun diversion. I'll definitely be picking it up again once it goes F2P.
---
SMILE! :D
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/%C3%85rcher/advanced
#40PailheadPosted 1/19/2013 10:34:06 AM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
wow nevermind you guys are totally fanboying it up here. i thought id get an intelligent conversation but instead its just "lol every game sucks but wow its the best i will spend my life savings on it"

Going by this logic, you must be a Guild Wars 2/Tera fanboy? "Lol every game sucks but GW2/Tera and I will spend my life playing them". That must be your kind of thinking surely?
---
Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something.