This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else playing on a laptop have this problem?

#1Ryu_of_WildfirePosted 1/29/2013 7:44:14 AM
So my new laptop is nothing fancy, just an out of the box Toshiba with windows 8. The only PC game I play is wow tho, so I don't really need anything that powerful.

At anyrate, I use the function keys for binding my CDs, but its the oddest thing with this one. Usually when you press F1, its just that, and if you hold down the mod key it will perform its secondary function like volume up or dim screen. With this new laptop its set up by default the opposite, so in order to use my F keys as intended I have to hold down the mod key, which is horrible.

I can not operate under these conditions, there must be a way to change it, I am not familiar at all with windows 8 or new tech in general, so if anyone has a way to fix this I would greatly appreciate it.
---
Sometimes I think its a sin
When I feel like i'm winnin' but i'm losin' again
#2webbc99Posted 1/29/2013 7:48:18 AM
I've never seen or heard of anyone having that problem until now.

However, I do question the need to use the F keys, as they are a bit out of reach anyway (I suppose less so on a laptop).

Usually laptops have a FN key (on my work laptop it's left of CTRL), and you have to hold that down to make the F keys do stuff like screen dimming, which can be over-ridden by holding down that F key.

It might be that your FN key is playing up, or causing some weird issue in WoW only. Sorry, that's all I've got.
---
PSN: Toastie88 | XBL: Griever88 | Steam: webbc99
Playing: World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, PSASBR
#3HakPosted 1/29/2013 7:48:43 AM
http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Computer-Troubleshooting/P850-12Z-Function-Keys-as-Default-Fn-Key/td-p/314652

Googled for "toshiba function keys fn default".
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#4Ryu_of_Wildfire(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 9:14:00 AM
Well I had googled it myself, and read similar threads all morning, but that did give me the idea to look up the manual from the Toshiba website.

Turns out there was an icon on my desktop that opens a program where you can toggle things like what the FN key does and how the touch pad reacts.

I had used it before to turn off my touchpad, but I guess I should pay closer attention to these things (^ ^;)

Thanks fellas.
---
Sometimes I think its a sin
When I feel like i'm winnin' but i'm losin' again