This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why Are Most MMOs Called WoW Clones and Not EQ Clone or DAOC Clone...Etc...

#41keyvenxPosted 1/31/2013 5:12:09 AM
WoW is probably the first 'mainstream' MMO (far surpassing EQ, which was the MMO of note pre-WoW) and hence many people's first encounter with an MMO - they either played it or knew someone who did.

Just like how people make throwaway references to movies with alternate realities as 'Matrix clones' or movies with one-man-armies as 'Rambo clones'.
#42vahndragonwingPosted 1/31/2013 5:14:52 AM
Corkhead82 posted...
Did I say profitability wasn't a "good" indicator of success... No... I said in my mind it is not the ONLY indicator of success which had been implied in earlier statements... Learn to read. I don't know why I am even here on a message board for a game I can no longer stomach though... Not sure what I was expecting to achieve.

I dunno why you're on a message board at all, you obviously can't take any sort of fact without blowing up about it. It's what I fondly refer to as a 'Hater'.

ERMERGERD JUST BECAUSE IT'S SOLD MORE COPIES THAN ALL OF THE OTHER GAMES AND HASN'T HAD TO GO F2P AND HAS MADE MORE MONEY OVERALL DOESN'T MAKE IT SUCCESSFUL

ALSO I HATE THE GAME

yous a hater breh
---
3DS Friend Code: 3050-9023-0902 - Ender
Pokemon White 2 Friend Code: 3440-1140-5876 - Ender
#43MorgasaurusPosted 1/31/2013 8:00:34 AM
Am I the only one that had not even really seen the terminology "WoW Clone" until reading the title of this topic?
---
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? ..."
- Matthew 16:26