Why Are Most MMOs Called WoW Clones and Not EQ Clone or DAOC Clone...Etc...

• Topic Archived
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Why Are Most MMOs Called WoW Clones and Not EQ Clone or DAOC Clone...Etc...

User Info: keyvenx

keyvenx
4 years ago#41
WoW is probably the first 'mainstream' MMO (far surpassing EQ, which was the MMO of note pre-WoW) and hence many people's first encounter with an MMO - they either played it or knew someone who did.

Just like how people make throwaway references to movies with alternate realities as 'Matrix clones' or movies with one-man-armies as 'Rambo clones'.

User Info: vahndragonwing

vahndragonwing
4 years ago#42
Corkhead82 posted...
Did I say profitability wasn't a "good" indicator of success... No... I said in my mind it is not the ONLY indicator of success which had been implied in earlier statements... Learn to read. I don't know why I am even here on a message board for a game I can no longer stomach though... Not sure what I was expecting to achieve.

I dunno why you're on a message board at all, you obviously can't take any sort of fact without blowing up about it. It's what I fondly refer to as a 'Hater'.

ERMERGERD JUST BECAUSE IT'S SOLD MORE COPIES THAN ALL OF THE OTHER GAMES AND HASN'T HAD TO GO F2P AND HAS MADE MORE MONEY OVERALL DOESN'T MAKE IT SUCCESSFUL

ALSO I HATE THE GAME

yous a hater breh
3DS Friend Code: 3050-9023-0902 - Ender
Pokemon White 2 Friend Code: 3440-1140-5876 - Ender

User Info: Morgasaurus

Morgasaurus
4 years ago#43
Am I the only one that had not even really seen the terminology "WoW Clone" until reading the title of this topic?
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? ..."
- Matthew 16:26
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Why Are Most MMOs Called WoW Clones and Not EQ Clone or DAOC Clone...Etc...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived