This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you support server mergers?

#1FelixTrapperPosted 2/1/2013 12:58:30 PM
Would you support server mergers? - Results (132 votes)
Ysera
84.85% (112 votes)
Nozdormu
15.15% (20 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Merging servers has been done in many MMORPG's before. It has its pros and cons, to be certain.

Take FFXI for example. After nearly a decade of service, it became apparent that the servers were hurting in population and activity. There were still enough players in the game as a whole to make it fun, but they were spread out too thin.

After much debate, SquareEnix decided to just forcefully merge the servers, cutting the total number in half. So say there were 16 servers before--now there are 8, with double the population.

One server would stay 'as is'. The second server that was being combined with the first would have the unfortunate challenge of renaming any characters that already existed on server 1.

Yes, it sucks. But it made the game a lot more tolerable and fun. Imagine playing WoW like it was back in the glory days. People everywhere. I would go as far as to say they could get away with merging THREE servers into one on WoW to have it be enjoyable.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/GDKT0486
#2AceronPosted 2/1/2013 1:32:42 PM
Eeh, I say just keep expanding the Cross-realm system until you can't really tell which server you're on anymore.
---
Believe in yourself. Not you, that believes in me.
Not me, that believes in you. Believe in you that believes in yourself. - Kamina, TTGL
#3ElaeusPosted 2/1/2013 1:45:42 PM
The only bad thing about merging the 300+ servers into, say, 50+ or even 25+ (provided of course that the servers can handle that kind of massive population to begin with) is the fact that players unavoidably will be losing their characters names. I think there are two possible solution to that:

1- Introducing last names to the characters
2- Including your b.net tag somehow (think of Diablo III)

These are probably not the only two solutions and I am not even sure why would I think of the second one since it will cause me to lose quiet a good deal of immersion into my characters but honestly, I don't know how it would work out otherwise.
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#4pikpikcarrotmonPosted 2/1/2013 2:04:41 PM
Totally fine with it. Combine the heck out of 'em.
---
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide.
#5Little ZardarPosted 2/1/2013 2:08:45 PM
let me keep my character's names and I won't give a damn
---
http://i.imgur.com/2EJdw.gif
Rogue PvP in a nutshell.
#6thatguy181Posted 2/1/2013 2:43:29 PM
Little Zardar posted...

Pretty much this.
#7FelixTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 3:20:57 PM
thatguy181 posted...
Little Zardar posted...

Pretty much this.

Well, that's really the main issue. Basically it's asking whether or not the possibility of changing your character's name is worth a much better gaming experience in the end.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/GDKT0486
#8AceronPosted 2/1/2013 3:22:04 PM
I'd say just go with this:

If they merge servers, one day all the folks with duplicate names log in to find their old server name stuck on the end of their names. In their mail is a message:
'Free name change. First come first serve.'

Players can then choose to change their name, or stick with their existing name with their old server tacked on. If all but one changes their name, they get to drop the server tag and keep the name.

They can do the same with guild names.
---
Believe in yourself. Not you, that believes in me.
Not me, that believes in you. Believe in you that believes in yourself. - Kamina, TTGL
#9Coop14Posted 2/1/2013 3:26:07 PM
Little Zardar posted...

Pretty much this.

This

And its not hard to fix

Just tack on a BNet ID# somewhere, maybe a UI re-haul and BAM
---
The WoW boards. We are a dysfunctional family that have the potential of making the greatest sitcom ever written.
#10WaffIeElitePosted 2/1/2013 5:57:38 PM
LFR, LFG and cross realm battlegrounds pretty much removed the necessity to merge servers. The only real reason to worry about your own server is if you have a severely limited raiding pool to choose from, and you're struggling to recruit for heroic 25's.