This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't see how anyone with alts has time to do anything but dailies.

#11HakPosted 2/8/2013 3:01:33 AM
Lightning Bolt posted...
Hak posted...
Bring back tabards, or implement a system whereby achieving the required rep on one character allows all characters to purchase gear at that level

Wouldn't really help considering how much time you have to put in to get any amount of VP.
They give VP in increments of 5 or 40, and it costs 1750 for something middle of the road. It's ridiculous.

With the VP cost reductions in 5.2 it'll at least allow more character to purchase a couple of items (gloves, for example, are one of the few items you don't get a 450 upgrade for in Dread Wastes, and an example of something that costs 1750JP/VP). I'm more disappointed that, come 5.2, although currency is being downgraded (which is fairly normal now to convert character VP to JP on a large patch) the VP items will still cost VP. Yes, it stops people getting a boost purchase on the new VP gear, but it also means that the current VP gear will be next to useless since people are used to saving up to purchase the full-cost gear by this point.

I didn't really see the harm in Cata where the JP vendor was selling 3 tiers of gear. If you bought the wrong piece, it was your own stupid fault, but the whole point of a new tier is that it supplants the existing one - the higher currency should be used for the highest gear, and the lower currency for everything else.
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#12ElaeusPosted 2/8/2013 5:33:34 AM
Lightning Bolt posted...

What about those of us who aren't lazy and leveled our alts before 5.1? :o

I have a lv486 monk that did no dailies at all pre 5.1. Your point? :p

Back to the OP: Because unless you need that alt for progression you shouldn't care what gear it has and in which case said alt becomes your temporary main and your appropriately geared character.

Not to mention that rep with commendations became stupidly easy, and also that if you just expect every alt of yours to have the same gear as your main so you play the minimum level of content which means it doesn't matter and you are just (sorry) a gear whore. If you really like the character, you enjoy gearing it and don't do it only because of the purples.

Also it's completely hypocrite to say that farming dungeons over and over isn't tedious while quests are. Not only you are dumb enough to force your opinion as a fact but it's the same thing: Repetitive.
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#13Lightning BoltPosted 2/8/2013 5:36:59 AM
Elaeus posted...

The bloke was gabbing about doin' 'is levelin quests for rep with commendations, but my bloomin' toons didn't get a lick of commendation when I was levelin' 'em.
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
#14redundanciesPosted 2/8/2013 5:41:16 AM
Trying to get (currently) 13 level 90 characters to something approaching a "reasonable" level of gear isn't possible.

Why on earth do you need 13 well-geared characters?
#15HakPosted 2/8/2013 5:44:01 AM
Elaeus posted...
Lightning Bolt posted...

What about those of us who aren't lazy and leveled our alts before 5.1? :o

Back to the OP: Because unless you need that alt for progression you shouldn't care what gear it has and in which case said alt becomes your temporary main and your appropriately geared character.

Not to mention that rep with commendations became stupidly easy, and also that if you just expect every alt of yours to have the same gear as your main so you play the minimum level of content which means it doesn't matter and you are just (sorry) a gear whore. If you really like the character, you enjoy gearing it and don't do it only because of the purples.

Also it's completely hypocrite to say that farming dungeons over and over isn't tedious while quests are. Not only you are dumb enough to force your opinion as a fact but it's the same thing: Repetitive.

You're assuming that everyone still abides by the "main" and "alt" system. I haven't for a long time, and know several people who are the same. The thought of devoting to a single character bores us - we'd prefer to pick up and play what we like at a particular time, depending on mood. Perhaps I was spoiled with playing City of Heroes so much, or EQ, and even WoW until MoP's release, but that is what I've grown used to and enjoy. In WotLK the closest I had to a raiding main was my SPriest, but my Druid and DK had a higher ilevel due to running more dungeons on them and getting more badges. Even in TBC, since stat inflation hadn't gotten completely out of control, I could run Kara for badges and get gear that would make me viable for the ZA timed runs which were over inside half an hour.

I would prefer the system from Cata return. The "cutting edge" neckbeards who want to push their heroic raid achievements and realm firsts can still do so - they even get a FoS for doing so now - while those of us who like to play multiple classes equally, without the concept of "mains", have that option.
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#16ElaeusPosted 2/8/2013 5:44:41 AM
Lightning Bolt posted...
Elaeus posted...

The bloke was gabbing about doin' 'is levelin quests for rep with commendations, but my bloomin' toons didn't get a lick of commendation when I was levelin' 'em.

Neither did my monk, but I mean I still managed to gear her without rep. :)
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#17Right_Chus_1Posted 2/8/2013 5:45:56 AM
Most people who raid do alt runs as well with their guild sooooo....Yea..I dont see the issue. Unless you refuse to meet people and raid or something.
#18redundanciesPosted 2/8/2013 8:02:43 AM
You're assuming that everyone still abides by the "main" and "alt" system.

It may not be everyone, but I'd wager you're in the minority in that you both a) want to play multiple characters and b) want to progress quickly.

It's been said before, but the problem with the 4.3 system is that it basically left a lot of folks with "nothing to do". I was one of those - I resorted to leveling a new tank, and got him into Dragon Soul because doing so was trivial. I can't imagine folks that already had a stable of alts, they must have been bored out of their skulls.
#19HakPosted 2/8/2013 8:13:28 AM
I'm quite happy to not progress quickly. I'll play at my own pace. However what I'd like is the option to progress at all without feeling like I'm forced to pick one character.

People slated (and still do complain about) LFR being too casual, and the devs explain time after time that it's to provide those people with less time or ability a meaningful way to feel like they're getting somewhere - after all, their $15 a month entitles them to as much variation in the game as someone who pays their $15 to raid hardcore-style. It seems that "altoholics" however are given the ****ty end of the stick when it comes to getting value for their $15 a month.
---
#20redundanciesPosted 2/8/2013 9:27:32 AM
Can't you do the same variety of content? I'd even argue that you have an advantage over single-character players and can pick and choose activities based on how you like playing or what you're in the mood for. Run LFR on your healer, do dailies on a DPS, and run dungeons on your tank, if you feel like being efficient; or, shake things up by running whatever on your favorite character today.

I don't see how you're left in the cold in this scenario, compared to casual players.