This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I solo everything in this game?

#1ArtboxPosted 2/9/2013 9:07:19 AM
Hi, everyone. I lost touched with this game after the 1st expansion hits and now I got some free time to play. The problem is, I am working shifts and my free time is very random.

With that, I would have trouble sticking to a specific raid party. If I am to solo this game from level 1 up, how far and how good can I get to?

I would try to party as much and learn as much as I can but I doubt my working time can allow me the luxury of fixed parties. Sigh...

Thanks!
#2angrywalrus13Posted 2/9/2013 9:08:40 AM
You can solo all the way up to max level. Pretty much the only things you can't solo are max-level dungeons and raids. Leveling up is almost meant to be done solo nowadays.
---
Thomx
like tommicks
#3jlc992Posted 2/9/2013 7:05:05 PM
The lower raids (mostly Wrath and Cata) you will have problems. But only because there are some bosses that have special mechanics that force to have more then one person in the raid but other then that you should be able to solo most Cata (depending on the class).
---
4 and 1 odd!
#4TaaronPosted 2/9/2013 9:58:38 PM
No you cannot solo everything.

In leveling you can solo most quests but there are a some group quests which you can't solo at the questing level. Additionally you can't solo dungeons or raids that match up with your level either. Once hitting max level most older dungeons and raids are soloable. Wrath and Cata raids you probably cannot solo all raids with and you may have some trouble with some Cata heroics dungeons as well.
---
Nothing wrong with a 40 year old man watching anime intended for 5 year old Japanese girls.
#5MindersPosted 2/10/2013 2:00:39 AM
You cannot solo everything however you can get a lot out of the game solo nowadays.

Leveling up to 90 is almost meant to be done solo.
With LFD and LFR you can do every instance and raid in the game with pickup groups when it works for you.
---
"homer the lord only asks for one hour a week" -Marge
"in that case he should have made the week an hour longer..." -Homer (GF)
#6EDarienPosted 2/10/2013 6:13:02 AM(edited)
Minders posted...
You cannot solo everything however you can get a lot out of the game solo nowadays.

Leveling up to 90 is almost meant to be done solo.
With LFD and LFR you can do every instance and raid in the game with pickup groups when it works for you.

^ Wow, can't believe it took 4 people to even mention LFD and LFR.

Since you're newly coming back, I'll assume you don't know what these are. Looking for Dungeon and Looking for Raid.

All of the leveling dungeons have been either nerfed/reworked so they're even easier than before, although most weren't hard to begin with. That said, there's a tool in-game that allows you to queue up in a "Looking for Dungeon" of either a specific instance or a random one from a list of level-appropriate dungeons. You choose Tank, DPS or Heals and it does the rest. When the team has been automatically assembled, you get a prompt to join them in the chosen dungeon. This allows people with a casual attitude/limited playtime like yourself, to still enjoy the content while not having to join a dedicated group of friends.

Questing is still the fastest way to level, but most/all dungeons now also have quests so it's a good idea to run each one once for a little XP boost plus it helps with the monotony of soloing/questing. Breaks it up a little so it's all more diverse and less stale. OH! Also, as you're leveling, the LFD is nice because it rewards a bag with random loot in it that's usually better than the stuff you'll get from the bosses of those dungeons. It's not super-game breaking, but it does help to have some extra stats while soloing things.

LFR is Looking for Raid. It's the same as LFD except it's for the end-game raids and assembled 25, instead of 5, people to run the Raid. The nice thing about LFR is that it's nerfed from the "regular" and "Heroic" versions of the raid so that a group of randoms has an easier time of completing it. There's LFR loot meaning it's similar to the real stuff, but the stats aren't as good.

All-in-all they really designed a system where people like you are more welcome in the game. Even if you do have erratic play times, I suggest finding a level 25 Guild (guilds have levels now) as it will give you bonuses such as more XP and faster mounted run speeds while you level. There tend to be at least a few level 25 "casual" guilds that don't care how often you're on and/or if you participate in Guild Chat. Even if they're annoying, just turn off guild chat and enjoy your free bonuses, at least until you can find a level 25 guild that you actually like.

Another thing to note is that a lot of those "Group Quests" have been SEVERELY nerfed. They used to be elite mobs with adds and you needed a good 2-3 people with at least one of those a decent tank or Demonology Warlock who knew how to handle his Voidwalker. Nowadays it's really all soloable. Last I leveled through there were maybe 1-3 mobs in all of my leveling experience that hadn't been nerfed enough to be soloable. In 85 levels (never got to 90 myself, yet) 1-3 mobs is a VERY small amount. The rest is all meant to be solo'd now.

edit: Added some things I forgot.
---
Lali-ho!
#7burkhardt5Posted 2/11/2013 7:38:59 AM
If you are planning to solo most of the time you will do much better with a hybrid type class like a druid, paladin orr the new monk class. I would stay away from priests and mages but a hunter isn't bad either.
I'm in the same boat, I can only play for a short time here and there so I usually end up playing my level 26 paladin solo.
---
http://superiorwowguide.com
#8HakPosted 2/11/2013 7:42:37 AM
Seriously? Priests are awesome solo. Absolute monsters - Disc for lower levels, Shadow for higher, never need to stop to eat or drink and can plow through leveling content.
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#9EDarienPosted 2/11/2013 6:50:07 PM
burkhardt5 posted...
If you are planning to solo most of the time you will do much better with a hybrid type class like a druid, paladin orr the new monk class. I would stay away from priests and mages but a hunter isn't bad either.
I'm in the same boat, I can only play for a short time here and there so I usually end up playing my level 26 paladin solo.

Yeah, Priests are "hybrid" themselves. They're healer/DPS. Like previous poster said Disc is great at lower levels, doing good damage plus shield and Shadow lets you shield yourself as well as do good damage as you get a little bigger.

Shaman's really good for that too, particularly with Maelstrom and Healing Surge. Though, the healing is more reactive and the priest can shield before it happens. Aside from Rogue, I never really found any class as "challenging" to level. And, admittedly, Rogue was my fault because I was set on using Assassination. Back on another rogue in 2.x I was Combat and that wasn't as bad, though I mostly duo-d with my ex back then. Still, almost any class can solo almost all non end-game content.
---
Lali-ho!