This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is keyboard turning really all that bad?

#21LORDDRAGON1995Posted 2/11/2013 5:06:40 AM
binding 7 to = is doable, just requires hand skill. I bind 1 to = plus shift and ctrl, and can play fine.
---
Scientia, Honor et Veritas
#22PailheadPosted 2/11/2013 5:55:53 AM
mariofilho12 posted...
Keyboard turning is the WoW equivalent of Satan Worshipping

So it's a good thing then?
---
When I was growing up, my family was so poor we couldn`t afford to pay attention.
#23AssultTankPosted 2/11/2013 9:42:58 AM
When I mouse turn, I can turn my character about 3600 degrees in the time it takes a keyboard turner to turn about 360 degrees. So I can turn to face any direction in 1/10th of the time it takes a keyboard turner.

Some mechanics in current raid content will KILL you if you don't mouse turn. Attenuation comes to mind here. Jasper Chains can also be a problem for keyboard turners too unless you're already facing your partner.

Basically, any mechanic that requires moving and turning at the same time...

I also bind ~-=, but I have a Razor Naga so they're all at my thumb.
---
http://wh.gov/RI5h Petition to declare Westboro Baptist Church a hate group.
John 6:53 Jesus promoting cannibalism.
#24havok718Posted 2/11/2013 10:23:45 AM
binding 7 to = is doable, just requires hand skill. I bind 1 to = plus shift and ctrl, and can play fine.

No it doesnt require any skill. It just requires you to have freakishly big hands, or develop carpal tunnel in the long run. Use better keybinds or an MMO mouse.
#25Unbridled9(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 11:23:54 AM
AssultTank posted...
When I mouse turn, I can turn my character about 3600 degrees in the time it takes a keyboard turner to turn about 360 degrees. So I can turn to face any direction in 1/10th of the time it takes a keyboard turner.

Some mechanics in current raid content will KILL you if you don't mouse turn. Attenuation comes to mind here. Jasper Chains can also be a problem for keyboard turners too unless you're already facing your partner.

Basically, any mechanic that requires moving and turning at the same time...

I also bind ~-=, but I have a Razor Naga so they're all at my thumb.

Attenuation was cake. Just required me figuring out the pattern/distance and hitboxes of the things. I just bring my camera up to the top and keep it there with my mouse while running around with the keys. Pass it perfectly almost every time now and, heck, even manage to slide between the disks without problem (Thank you Touhou!). Jasper chains is still quite easy and the only time I died to it was when the person I was chained too decided that my healing the tank was less important than his DPS and when a cobolt mine pushed the tank out of range he refused to move with me.

Also, the higher keys are REALLY not that hard to bind to. Just put spells you use but are not part of your standard rotation there. For example, I have my shield (not amazing as I'm a holy priest), circle of healing (good when the group is close together, but not really *that* useful), fade (If I draw aggro, great, but not used otherwise), and Smite (for when trash really isn't hurting/threatening and I'm bored) there as well as Levitate (for annoying my GM/RL), and Alchemy potions (I only get one a fight and most of the time, if we're doing so bad that I'm OOM, we'd likely not have made it anyways. There are exceptions of course, like getting four voodoo's in a row).

But it really sounds like people claiming mouse turning is better are listing reasons that could be done with better action-bar management/knowing the fight as opposed to legit problems with the keyboard.
---
Math with Vi!
My 2 fists - 1 of your face = 1 dead foe.
#264sakuraHa0Posted 2/11/2013 12:16:40 PM
Unbridled9 posted...
Topic title. Is it really that bad? Using WASD or the arrows is really a crime worthy of a raid-kick or some similar level of retribution? Is the mouse REALLY that superior and essential?

Nope.
Raiding is fine, but in pvp, I would not recommend it.

The problem is:
There are self-proclaimed skillful players that they thought they are THAT good because they are not keyboard players.
---
If someone post "I don't care", they actually care VERY much.
If they DON'T care, they WON'T bother posting.
#27DamorahTalsetPosted 2/11/2013 12:49:26 PM
JohnnyShred612 posted...
Raiding, usually not. PvP, yeah.

This.
---
I don't a fondness to Borat. I don't how it did outrageous; haven't they ever interneted? We have Goat's Sea and Celebrating Lemons. - Gandob
#28Unbridled9(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 4:23:09 PM
4sakuraHa0 posted...
Unbridled9 posted...
Topic title. Is it really that bad? Using WASD or the arrows is really a crime worthy of a raid-kick or some similar level of retribution? Is the mouse REALLY that superior and essential?

Nope.
Raiding is fine, but in pvp, I would not recommend it.

The problem is:
There are self-proclaimed skillful players that they thought they are THAT good because they are not keyboard players.

I think a better way to say it is 'People will find any little excuse, no matter how minor or true, to claim that they are actually better than other people without actually trying to be better than other people'.
---
Math with Vi!
My 2 fists - 1 of your face = 1 dead foe.
#29Lady_TygryPosted 2/11/2013 5:07:52 PM(edited)
Keyboard turning is too slow to be efficient. Yes, in most of the raid encounters, especially as ranged, you can quietly drool on yourself without having to worry about turning because the target doesn't move (at least, given your positioning, to an extent that will matter). As tank, you're giving up threat if you're not able to DPS while strafing and you're likely taking more damage than necessary if you actually still use your S key. Melee DPS who have to do their pokey 180 or trip over their S keys are sacrificing both DPS and/or overworking healers because they're taking longer to reposition.
How about those times though, as melee or ranged, that the target is being moved a significant amount. Your DPS certainly suffers more than it would if you were using your mouse to turn and leaving one hand free for binds as you never have to worry about something not landing because the mob ran through you mid-cast or you were fumbling around with directional keys instead of hitting a spell. There are 12-15 easily reachable keys (not counting modifiers or the number row) that you might not be able to hit at the same time if you are keyboard turning.

A perfect, albeit, more unusual example of a fight where a mouse turner will beat a keyboard turner every time is the Crown Chemical Company: Professor Frye. He's all over the place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Cyl9CwP40

In PvP of course, no matter how geared you are, you don't stand a chance against someone who uses their mouse to turn as they'll run circles around you all day long while dealing damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgj0RDJ9RA
---
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow, we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
#30KreyynPosted 2/11/2013 6:36:20 PM
It's fine for normal mode raiding.
---
i7 2600k || SLi GTX 580 || Optx AW2310 ||
http://i.imgur.com/zSkO2.jpg "A stroke of the brush does not guarantee art from the bristles." Babylon 5.