This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is keyboard turning really all that bad?

#31NikkyPosted 2/11/2013 5:57:12 PM
To OP: Time yourself. Turn your character 360 degrees via keyboard. It takes several seconds just to complete the full rotation, whereas a mouse can achieve this within a split second. Thus, there is a huge advantage for mouse-turners over keyboard counterparts when encountering a situation where a quick change of direction is needed -- many raid boss encounters require this. In PVP, melee opponents will jump through your character's hitbox to avoid getting hit by your spells. Without mouse-turning, it is near impossible to track your vision with the opponent's to complete the spell cast.
---
Where's the reset button?
#32Major GamerPosted 2/11/2013 6:29:08 PM
I think a better way to say it is 'People will find any little excuse, no matter how minor or true, to claim that they are actually better than other people without actually trying to be better than other people'.

Are you just going to continually ignore that mouse turning is faster than keyboard turning?
---
Can excessive stupidity be a valid reason for moderation?
http://backloggery.com/majorgamer
#33Kanus_oq_SerunaPosted 2/11/2013 7:03:40 PM
noobs. TFGH or GTFO!
---
For topical discussions of the Source Mod remake of Half Life: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/683833-black-mesa
#34Unbridled9(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 7:22:14 PM
Major Gamer posted...
I think a better way to say it is 'People will find any little excuse, no matter how minor or true, to claim that they are actually better than other people without actually trying to be better than other people'.

Are you just going to continually ignore that mouse turning is faster than keyboard turning?

I'm not ignoring it. I'm just unconvinced that the minor speed advantage is that serious compared to other factors such as skill and raid awareness. Most of the people here seem to assume it's impossible to do these things without a mouse, but I know that's not the case.
---
Math with Vi!
My 2 fists - 1 of your face = 1 dead foe.
#35AssultTankPosted 2/11/2013 7:39:45 PM
Unbridled9 posted...
Major Gamer posted...

I'm not ignoring it. I'm just unconvinced that the minor speed advantage is that serious compared to other factors such as skill and raid awareness. Most of the people here seem to assume it's impossible to do these things without a mouse, but I know that's not the case.

Imagine two players of equal skill, raid awareness and gear. One who keyboard turns and one who mouse turns.
The keyboard turner will preform worse in most situations. In all other situations, they will preform equally.
I'm not necessarily saying you can't preform well, just that you will be capped at a lower performance cap than someone who turns with the mouse.

The same holds for clickers and keybinders. They keybinder will preform better except in situations where they preform equally.
---
http://wh.gov/RI5h Petition to declare Westboro Baptist Church a hate group.
John 6:53 Jesus promoting cannibalism.
#36KreyynPosted 2/11/2013 7:53:34 PM
Mouse turning is required for real heroic progression for when you are under healing and tanks/dps really need to maximize their damage to meet tight enrages while never getting hit by any mechanic. No world class player in a top 50 world guild would keyboard turn, and it's quite silly to use such a drastically inferior method that just lowers your skill cap.
---
i7 2600k || SLi GTX 580 || Optx AW2310 ||
http://i.imgur.com/zSkO2.jpg "A stroke of the brush does not guarantee art from the bristles." Babylon 5.
#37Unbridled9(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 8:29:55 PM
AssultTank posted...
Unbridled9 posted...
Major Gamer posted...

Imagine two players of equal skill, raid awareness and gear. One who keyboard turns and one who mouse turns.
The keyboard turner will preform worse in most situations. In all other situations, they will preform equally.
I'm not necessarily saying you can't preform well, just that you will be capped at a lower performance cap than someone who turns with the mouse.

The same holds for clickers and keybinders. They keybinder will preform better except in situations where they preform equally.

If two players are of equal skill, the few milliseconds difference won't matter as both will know the fight and how not to get hit or both will suck so badly at the fight that they might as well be replaced with a monkey.
---
Math with Vi!
My 2 fists - 1 of your face = 1 dead foe.
#38KreyynPosted 2/11/2013 8:35:17 PM
The OP is either trolling or has no clue.
---
http://i.imgur.com/zSkO2.jpg "A stroke of the brush does not guarantee art from the bristles." Babylon 5.
#39scarecrowsPosted 2/11/2013 8:39:18 PM
The only time I have ever seen this discussed is on here. I never hear anyone bring it up in game. The fact is it doesn't matter at all in pve. People claiming you can't do attenuation? Bull. I tank that fight and keyboard turn and I have never been hit by it. You don't need a mouse to do it it's easy as all hell.

There is not one mechanic in the game that requires you to turn around really fast. Turning slightly and strafing is more than enough. I've never died to anything because I couldn't move quick enough. People that say otherwise are flat out lying. I dance on Will and get every opportunistic strike.

Now pvp, yes you will get owned if you don't move with a mouse. But pvp is like pet battles, it's a joke and nobody cares about it.
---
Tanks. Insta Q's = Insta QQ's
#40KreyynPosted 2/11/2013 10:03:05 PM(edited)
scarecrows posted...
The only time I have ever seen this discussed is on here. I never hear anyone bring it up in game. The fact is it doesn't matter at all in pve. People claiming you can't do attenuation? Bull. I tank that fight and keyboard turn and I have never been hit by it. You don't need a mouse to do it it's easy as all hell.

There is not one mechanic in the game that requires you to turn around really fast. Turning slightly and strafing is more than enough. I've never died to anything because I couldn't move quick enough. People that say otherwise are flat out lying. I dance on Will and get every opportunistic strike.

Now pvp, yes you will get owned if you don't move with a mouse. But pvp is like pet battles, it's a joke and nobody cares about it.

Would you be able to adapt if there was another fight like yogg saron? I'd like to see you keyboard turn on p2 heroic double attenuation. Also what would you do if on the first boss in thunder throne a ball appeared ~3 yards in front of you? Being an adaptive player is so important if you are doing any real content. For casual **** it doesn't really matter though.
---