This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

4th spec to all classes

#11HakPosted 2/15/2013 3:53:40 AM
Really? Already there? With no damage mitigation other than a cooldown? One weapon imbue has a taunt and that's about as tanky as it gets. The old talent trees had potential, with increased armour/stamina on some choices, but with them being gone, there is nothing left at all that suggest Shaman tanks. They wear mail with no stamina buff, armour buff, or crit reduction. They have no mitigation talents. At which point does it deserve to be classed as "already practically there"?

It's as likely as a Priest tank - at least Shadow has passive damage reduction, Disperse as a cooldown for high damage, and healing returns. If they'd kept Mind Spike as "generates a high amount of threat" then they'd have been reasonably viable for tanking low level dungeons.
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#12Rayn247Posted 2/15/2013 4:09:48 AM
No. Just no. If all classes can fulfill all roles then there's really no point to their being classes. Personally, it'd just be nice for all 3 specs to function properly and truly be viable. And basically, if a spec doesn't work right, it isn't viable.
---
What doesn't kill me, had better start running.
#13teffyPosted 2/15/2013 7:36:21 AM
Rayn247 posted...
No. Just no. If all classes can fulfill all roles then there's really no point to their being classes. Personally, it'd just be nice for all 3 specs to function properly and truly be viable. And basically, if a spec doesn't work right, it isn't viable.

You mean outside personal preference, unique class options, and RP reasons?

A tanky priest isn't suddenly going to turn into a Warrior. A healing Hunter won't magically turn into a Priest. Your argument makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#14CacofiendPosted 2/15/2013 7:55:41 AM
In all fairness I would be just as happy if they deleted all existing specs and replaced them with something similar to rift.

Being practical however I'm not sure I can ever see this happenning with WoW.

As it stands now I'm not sure every class needs a 4th spec just for the sake of it. For some select classes it could be interesting in giving them a 4th spec only because of psedo abilities such as bring back frost dk tanks and maybe expand on enhance shammy tanks or rogue evasion tanks. Not realy needs as it stands I grand you but could be interesting.
#15Lightning BoltPosted 2/15/2013 8:02:01 AM
Cacofiend posted...
In all fairness I would be just as happy if they deleted all existing specs and replaced them with something similar to rift.

So basically leave all the abilities in but randomly scramble them between specs?
I never did learn the name for that one Rogue ability. I just called it Bladestorm and people knew what I meant.
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
#16halomonkey1_3_5Posted 2/15/2013 8:15:51 AM
Hak posted...
Really? Already there? With no damage mitigation other than a cooldown? One weapon imbue has a taunt and that's about as tanky as it gets. The old talent trees had potential, with increased armour/stamina on some choices, but with them being gone, there is nothing left at all that suggest Shaman tanks. They wear mail with no stamina buff, armour buff, or crit reduction. They have no mitigation talents. At which point does it deserve to be classed as "already practically there"?

40% reduction on a 15 second CD(talent)
30% reduction on a 60 second CD
another possible 40% reduction on a 2min CD(talent)
instant self heals(if you're enhancement) every so often
a taunt on a 15 second CD
shields
a high threat spell
and thats all in DPS/healing specs, thats not counting obvious things they'd give them to be equal to other tanks(shorten the CD on the taunt, add in an elemental shield spell that is equivalent to savage defense/shield block/etc, split the taunt and damage reduction from UE)

shamans are the most "tank ready" non-tank class(besides warlocks with that glyph). They're not "almost there" because of the way blizzard has crushed hybridization, but they have a complete blueprint already in place. All they'd need to do is add in a spell or two and give them passive stamina, armor and damage/crit mitigation(things every other tanking spec gets) via an actual tanking spec and they'd be tanks.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#17piplupzeroPosted 2/15/2013 10:11:33 AM
teffy posted...
Rayn247 posted...

You mean outside personal preference, unique class options, and RP reasons?

A tanky priest isn't suddenly going to turn into a Warrior. A healing Hunter won't magically turn into a Priest. Your argument makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.

No, but how do you differentiate the specs enough? Make a tank priest use absorbs? Both warrior and monk already do that so yes, it will turn into another class at a mechanical level. Maybe a caster tank would be interesting but considering getting hit increases casting time that will not be easily viable. There's even less places to go with healers. Classes should be differentiated by their mechanics, not just names.

Plus blizzard can barley balance what they already have, don't add more specs into that jumbled mess.
---
Timesplitters is the best game series ever! C/C The choice is clear.
#18tote_allPosted 2/15/2013 10:23:33 AM
"Healing poison"

---
http://i.imgur.com/4u1biRF.png
#19MorgasaurusPosted 2/15/2013 11:25:45 AM
Yeah if you ask anyone the biggest tease WoW has ever had is... plains running.

Okay so next to that it's shaman tanking. They could tank non-raid content in classic along with druids, and though I wasn't around much in late classic druids were starting to be somewhat viable except for the crushing blow mechanic that was introduced. Then in BC Blizzard finally made paladins and druids fully viable tanks, but shamans got shafted. I think some people even tried to build a weird set of gear that had defense on it and make a shaman tank in BC, but I never saw one in action and it seemed like that would be even harder than building a twink. It wasn't something that "occurred naturally" like the other tanks.

In Cataclysm they gave us a taunt which was useful for next to nothing. I mean maybe you could peel an add in a raid or a pet in arena or something but that would spend 3 GCD's and a short CD not to mention the mana so it was more of a clutch thing that I only used a few times mainly just to see if it worked. It's also an effective tool for trolling your tank friends. "Why is the mob on me? Fail."

I think shaman tank has been a card they're holding up their sleeve. They may intend to give out more specs, but they don't want to just give one spec to one class so they're not gonna do it until they do more specs for everyone.

If they carry over some existing abilities (I'm looking at you Shamanistic Rage) and give them a spec with innate uncrittability, stamina bonus, and all that jazz shamans would actually end up being overpowered. I mean if you interchanged any existing tank's defensive CD with Shamanistic Rage they would be overpowered. One minute 30% DR cooldown usable while stunned? A bit crazy by MoP standards. But at least then you'd have tank that could survive LFR Dread Approach trash without smart healers or CC.
---
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? ..."
- Matthew 16:26
#20HakPosted 2/15/2013 11:57:42 AM
Just thinking now about Windfury in Classic combined with tanking damage reductions... windfury proc off windfury proc off windfury. .. ad nauseum while also being uncrittable.
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa