This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I want a class that can Tank, but is also very good in PvP, mainly battelgrounds

#11MrBigJohnsonPosted 2/15/2013 9:36:43 AM(edited)
Go pally, prot is good right now. And bg as ret or holy to feed your warrior friend(assuming he's good enough to peel for you) heals and freedoms.
---
Even addiction has diminishing returns. Johnrockks#1547
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kelthuzad/Marisette/advanced
#12Twain_DriverPosted 2/15/2013 10:21:09 AM
Neo_Heartless posted...
_Gamer_Of_Time_ posted...
I don't really mean tanking in battlegrounds, I mean a damaging PvP spec and a tank spec.

Thanks for the help so far!

Any of the tank classes can do what you ask and in random battlegrounds there's not the level of cohesive teamwork that would favour one class over another, so I'd have to say check the classes and see what you prefer.

Agree. Enjoy the luxury of choice. And make friends with healers. Tank/Healer can be quite fun, I've chased around a few well geared tanks in BG's and it usually yields good results.
#13KarateKittyKillPosted 2/15/2013 10:39:45 AM
Honestly, one of the best class specs I've ever seen was in another game WARHAMMER: AoR. The Black Orc, when the game first came out, was a juggernaut. You couldn't kill him. If you focused any of your time on him, the rest of the team would destroy you. The only way to play against a Black Orc and his buddies was to take out all of the Black Orc's friends, and go after him.

When the game first came out, a good Black Orc could stand up against almost any other class one-vs-one (and win), and could also tank groups of players. One of my favorite class designs. While his damage was not the best, he would have occasional burst options that allowed him to peel away at squishier players.

Of course, he's nerfed to oblivion now, but he was really one of the better balanced classes.

I've tried Prot Warriors in PvP before, and while they're decent, they don't have the damage output (they did to an extent in WotLK, but that's another thing entirely) to completely dominate at PvP. In PvP on WoW it's about kills; in Warhammer it was about aiding your team in whatever aspect possible. Therefore, a tank in WoW does little else but distract enemies.

Warriors have great stuns, AoEs, and crowd control as Protection spec. Similarly with Prot Paladins, but they also have heals which gives them more sustain.

It's just hard to do a tank right in PvP, sadly.
---
And then the real hero showed up. http://i47.tinypic.com/1z5ovpw.jpg
#14Lady_TygryPosted 2/15/2013 11:06:01 AM
Warrior mobility still makes them a strong choice for RBGs. Even without vengeance, DKs would be the better second choice. Paladins and druids are more work for healers once their CDs are down. For unrated, it doesn't matter. You'll be most beneficial guarding nodes and holding flags but don't always expect to have any pocket healers in PUGs who know what they're doing.
---
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow, we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
#15_Gamer_Of_Time_(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 12:20:36 PM
Thanks guys! I don't want to use a tank spec in PvP, though. I just want to have a Tank spec for PvE and a viable spec for PvP, that isn't healing! Sorry if I didn't explain well enough.
---
"What an idiot." - L This sig dedicated to: ShinyGible7
Pokemon White FC = 5414 9914 0481 (Time)
#16Lady_TygryPosted 2/15/2013 12:46:38 PM(edited)
If you're not planning to tank/heal in PvP, I'd pass on paladin and warrior then. I occasionally see arms in high-end melee cleaves (still talking RBGs) but rets-- not sure I've ever seen them outside of PUG comps. Boomies and kitties still have their place, as do frost DKs.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, the last arms I remember seeing was Maydie in the 2.2k bracket during Cata (I honestly don't remember which season). I'm still not 100% convinced that it was him but whoever was playing it played extremely well and when I pulled up the character on the armory, it had the rank 14 FoS.
---
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow, we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
#17Twain_DriverPosted 2/15/2013 12:32:20 PM
KarateKittyKill posted...
Honestly, one of the best class specs I've ever seen was in another game WARHAMMER: AoR. The Black Orc, when the game first came out, was a juggernaut. You couldn't kill him. If you focused any of your time on him, the rest of the team would destroy you. The only way to play against a Black Orc and his buddies was to take out all of the Black Orc's friends, and go after him.

I miss Warhammer PVP. That collision detection made a huge tactical impact on play, especially for Tank classes.