This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

No more weapon trainers?

#1CtubbiePosted 2/17/2013 1:48:14 AM
I got back into the game after a loooonnng break. I remembered I used to be able to go to weapon trainers to pick up weapon skills my class cannot use.

Back in the game now, I can no longer find them. So my monk who cannot use a gun, shield, mail armors, for e.g. will not be able to use them forever?

Thanks!
---
Dot
#2Lightning BoltPosted 2/17/2013 1:54:07 AM
So my monk who cannot use a gun, shield, mail armors, for e.g. will not be able to use them forever?

Correct.
No weapon trainers or weapon skills or anything.
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
#3ShiningForceXPosted 2/17/2013 2:15:19 AM
You've got layers and layers of dumbed down gameplay to absorb yet if you are only up to Weapons trainers.
---
If you have to use force...use Shining Force!
#4Abyssmal FiendPosted 2/17/2013 2:34:46 AM
ShiningForceX posted...
You've got layers and layers of dumbed down gameplay to absorb yet if you are only up to Weapons trainers.

Like the fact that skills stopped having different ranks (and that, therefore, your top-level skills weren't raid dropped books).

Or the fact that all those skills were eventually condensed into one skill that scaled with level.

Or the fact that you don't even have skill trainers anymore.
---
"Erst waegen, dann wagen." - Helmuth von Moltke the Elder
#5Glockass1Posted 2/17/2013 2:36:45 AM
Abyssmal Fiend posted...
ShiningForceX posted...

Like the fact that skills stopped having different ranks (and that, therefore, your top-level skills weren't raid dropped books).

Or the fact that all those skills were eventually condensed into one skill that scaled with level.

reminds me of other obnoxious games that followed the same pattern. Good riddance.
---
Steam ID: Glockass1
#6ElaeusPosted 2/17/2013 2:41:13 AM
ShiningForceX posted...

Good riddance.

Weapon trainers and weapon skills were annoying as hell. Yay for having to go continent to continent to be able to equip that new staff or to get the tanking mace from Lich King to realize that I haven't upgraded my tanking weapon since Ulduar's sword.
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#7kuroiPosted 2/17/2013 2:53:47 AM
Abyssmal Fiend posted...
ShiningForceX posted...

While being able to use lower rank spells was quite useful, it was too useful.

Rank 1 Frostbolt to snare mobs/players quickly for absolutely no cost? Useful.
Max Rank + Max Rank -1 AOE stacking? Moderately useful.
Max Rank -1 heals for almost the same output for significantly less input? Too useful.

It was an unintended mechanic that saw too much use and created balancing issues. I can completely understand why they took it out.

New, higher level ranks of spells dropping from books was not a good mechanic. Yes, it was awesome doing more damage, but it came at multiple costs:

1) Random droprates = disproportionate boosts
2) If you weren't in a high end raid, you were completely outclassed by not having the max rank. Let the gear take care of that. New ranks of spells are just unfair.
3) It's a balancing nightmare, as not all abilities scale the same or see the same use.

While I agree that not having skill trainers anymore makes leveling up feel much less important, travelling back to a trainer was tedious every other level. You scale much better under the new system, but it definitely feels less epic.

Lastly, wanna know what's not fun? Going to Blasted Lands and beating on mobs that go immune for an hour to level up your weapon skills every expansion.

It really is all the same as it is before. It's just more streamlined. Forget that, though, convenience is awful.
#8JiruruPosted 2/17/2013 2:54:06 AM
Elaeus posted...
ShiningForceX posted...

Good riddance.

Weapon trainers and weapon skills were annoying as hell. Yay for having to go continent to continent to be able to equip that new staff or to get the tanking mace from Lich King to realize that I haven't upgraded my tanking weapon since Ulduar's sword.

Weapon skills are perhaps the old mechanic I'm most glad to see gone. What a pointless chore they were. I didn't mind the idea of weapon trainers, but one trainer should really be able to teach everything. Having to do low level Wetlands runs in order to equip quest rewards was terrible. (Low level Wetlands runs are also up there on the top things I'm glad to see gone.)
---
"It felt like the music was aimed right at me... like a missile!"