This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best Expansion So Far

#11fallen_acolytePosted 2/18/2013 4:02:14 AM
Abyssmal Fiend posted...
Psyborgasm posted...
I felt BC required the most 'skill.'

You wouldn't say that if you ever organized and led a (non-world boss) 40-man. Raid leaders and raid officers had some pretty extreme requirements. If you weren't very good at the administration end of running raids, you could easily destroy your entire raid group. BC's (well-advised) decision to move to a 10/25-man system drastically reduced the stress on raid officers and, on the whole, was an extremely smart decision. Even if it did dumb down the experience somewhat.

That said, BC was extremely lenient in terms of player skill. It basically took concepts from vanilla, made them more raid-oriented, and then made it so players who didn't pay attention would simply wipe the raid. You see this in a number of encounters (Netherspite, Kaz'rogal, Illidari Council), but the one that really comes to mind is Archimonde. If you screwed up and died to the fire, chances are Archimonde would just wreck your entire raid. A ton of BC bosses were glorified tank and spanks. And some of the more unique encounters (Leo) were basically a tank and spank with two phases.

And then there were some of the class specs. Seriously, go see if you can find some destruction warlock videos from the BC era. Bind one key to Curse of Elements, bind every other key to Shadowbolt, and simply facedesk the entire raid. And do 2k dps at the same time, reliably putting you in the top 5 on tier 5 content.

I still maintain that BC was the best expansion of the lot, but it really did not require the most skill. I'm not quite sure what expansion that honorific goes to. It might be Wrath.

Player skill and raid organization are not the same. Essentially all raid bosses are tank and spank, but each would access the raids skill on different criteria. I.e player awareness, reaction time, communication and in most cases character dps.

You mentioned the warlock class specs, but I can tell you don't understand how it actually worked. For warlocks to use that spec where they sac the succubus and spammed Sbolts, it was only viable if the warlock met gear requirements, otherwise it was a MASSIVE dps loss. So unless that lock was in (majority) BT/hyjal gear that spec was terrible.
In T4 content, all locks had to be affliction spec because it was better than the other 2 with the gear available. When they hit T5 content, they went demo which back then was really challenging due to high demand of pet management while keeping up with rotations. Affliction was still acceptable, but it was behind demo in dps. Finally in T6 content, they were capable in doing that spec. If 1 lock did that spec and wasn't geared for it, they would cut the other locks dps because a minimum of 25% crit, 1k spell /shadow dmg, and 202 hit requirement was mandatory.
#12ElaeusPosted 2/18/2013 4:05:40 AM
I am starting to think it was WotLK to me, despite wanting to vote BC or MoP as the overall best. At least I know I was most satisfied overall back then and my only wish was that LK hc titles were removed as 4.0.6 hit, I would keep Bane title for life (and I am saying that despite getting Light of Dawn at lv85, I don't deserve it so I never used it).
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#13Abyssmal FiendPosted 2/18/2013 4:28:48 AM
Player skill and raid organization are not the same, no, but you need good raid organization to progress. Progression with mediocre raiders is possible -- you can learn encounters and you can learn damage rotations. Progression with mediocre raid leaders is significantly harder -- being a good raid leader is one of those things you either are or aren't. And since progression requires an obnoxious amount of administrative support (on everything from farming for flasks to distributing loot), I'd say it's a whole hell of a lot more important than whether or not there were a few more puddles of death to avoid a given boss' floor. I mean, hell, BC even drastically reduced the need for resistance gear. There's a reason the only resistance gear in my bank is the Infernoweave set.

And thanks for the lecture. It was nice. You sure showed me and my Hand of A'dal title what-for. Oh, and just for the record, I was Demo for less than a month. The gap between the then-ideal Destruction starting point and everything else was fairly narrow once you got T4. And, for the record, it pretty much vanished once Zul'Aman went live (which was about a year before Wrath hit and four months or so before Kael came back to give us all welfare epics). So even if you did have the misfortune of having lousy luck with RNG or a guild that wasn't pushing the envelope, it was still fairly easy to get enough gear to leapfrog most of the Demo stuff.
---
"Erst waegen, dann wagen." - Helmuth von Moltke the Elder
#14HexrapperPosted 2/18/2013 8:12:07 AM
Cata. I'm sure a big part of it was that I started with Cata but it was basically a perfect game to me; just heroics and raids. My two biggest issues with MoP are that I feel forced into doing content I don't enjoy, and that it's not alt friendly. 5.2's raid rep should help fix the first issue, so I'm pretty excited to see how that goes.
---
SMILE! :D
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/%C3%85rcher/advanced
#15HakPosted 2/18/2013 8:15:52 AM
Hexrapper posted...
Cata. I'm sure a big part of it was that I started with Cata but it was basically a perfect game to me; just heroics and raids. My two biggest issues with MoP are that I feel forced into doing content I don't enjoy, and that it's not alt friendly. 5.2's raid rep should help fix the first issue, so I'm pretty excited to see how that goes.

It's raid rep for only one faction, and you have to be ilevel 480 to join the raid that gives the rep.
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#16burkhardt5Posted 2/18/2013 8:19:04 AM
B.C. was great but that may be just because I was looking for more WOW. WotLK was again a great one. Cata was more of a dilution than an expansion but thanks to MOP WOW is once again worth playing so in my opinion the best expansion is..............................................................................
---
http://superiorwowguide.com
#17Coop14Posted 2/18/2013 8:22:05 AM
Elaeus posted...
I am starting to think it was WotLK to me, despite wanting to vote BC or MoP as the overall best. At least I know I was most satisfied overall back then and my only wish was that LK hc titles were removed as 4.0.6 hit, I would keep Bane title for life (and I am saying that despite getting Light of Dawn at lv85, I don't deserve it so I never used it).

This but for me personally

Everything has been about equal with beating Cataclysm
---
I'd like to pull those horns, smash her face into my bed. - Zardar, the one who makes me laugh over everything.
#18HexrapperPosted 2/18/2013 8:22:51 AM
Yep, was speaking of my main characters. The other rep from my understanding offers 496 items, which is perfect. Gives people who don't raid something to do, doesn't make raiders feel like they have to do dailies for valor gear.
---
SMILE! :D
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/%C3%85rcher/advanced