This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did they get rid of Elemental Immunities???

#1QuesoBlancoPosted 2/18/2013 5:26:14 PM
It doesn't make sense that the Shaman's Lava Burst should hurt a fire elemental!

And what happened to resistances?
#2QuesoBlanco(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 5:27:26 PM
They should bring them back. And give Druids the ability to turn into Elementals like they can in Dungeons and Dragons.
#3XerxesTheWizardPosted 2/18/2013 5:28:05 PM
They took them both out because you like them.

Blizzard hates you.
#4AdeptMagePosted 2/18/2013 5:30:47 PM
because the game became more serious

in vanilla they could screw around with things that may not be all that rational from a gameplay perspective, such as elemental resists or poorly itemized gear, and people just worked with it

that couldn't have lasted forever and today stuff like that does not fly anymore
---
MEMBER OF THE WOW LUMPY HILL REMOVAL CAMPAIGN
http://i.imgur.com/GWvTr.jpg http://i.imgur.com/UZtLp.jpg"He's an old man loving gay." -ShadowNinja606
#5AceronPosted 2/18/2013 5:46:50 PM
Resistances were considered unfair since a fight built around a resistant foe would force you to leave certain classes behind.
That and forcing people to farm resistance gear for fight was considered more hassle than it was worth.

TBH, though, I've never really gotten the whole 'elementals are immune to their element' thing. I mean, you're made of meat, doesn't make it hurt any less if I smack you with a 30 pound slab of beef.
---
Believe in yourself. Not you, that believes in me.
Not me, that believes in you. Believe in you that believes in yourself. - Kamina, TTGL
#6MegawizardPosted 2/18/2013 5:50:53 PM
Aceron posted...
Resistances were considered unfair since a fight built around a resistant foe would force you to leave certain classes behind.
That and forcing people to farm resistance gear for fight was considered more hassle than it was worth.

TBH, though, I've never really gotten the whole 'elementals are immune to their element' thing. I mean, you're made of meat, doesn't make it hurt any less if I smack you with a 30 pound slab of beef.

Earth could conceivably be chipped apart. Fire added to fire makes a bigger fire. Wind would just momentarily disperse before reforming. Water'd get bigger as well.
---
^( ' ' )^
#7DarkonPosted 2/18/2013 7:47:09 PM
It forced classes into certain specs and made some worthless. In MC and BWL, bosses were immune to fire, which made fire mages useless and made them all go frost (arcane wasn't a real spec back then). Or Hydross, where frost can't hit that boss half the fight. Although mages could be a different spec, elemental shaman couldn't hit the boss half the time at all due to nature immunity in the other half. Not everyone likes being forced to being certain specs are getting sat out altogether because of your spec/class.
---
Winning is overrated.
#8ryanell666Posted 2/18/2013 8:12:14 PM
The only real issue with resistances was that it was considered a "gate" so only the most dedicated player may go raiding while the (*ahem) "less-dedicated" cried that they couldn't get the gear to live through a raid. Obviously Blizzard wants everyone to win, so they took the whole idea of using resistance gear in boss fights out so everyone and their grandmothers can throw themselves into the fray.
#9Sir WillPosted 2/18/2013 11:06:33 PM
Darkon posted...
It forced classes into certain specs and made some worthless. In MC and BWL, bosses were immune to fire, which made fire mages useless and made them all go frost (arcane wasn't a real spec back then). Or Hydross, where frost can't hit that boss half the fight. Although mages could be a different spec, elemental shaman couldn't hit the boss half the time at all due to nature immunity in the other half. Not everyone likes being forced to being certain specs are getting sat out altogether because of your spec/class.

That. It's not right that certain classes can't fight certain foes because it's immune to all of their attacks. With dual spec it's not an issue for mages anymore really, but other magic classes primarily use a single school and would be seriously hindered by it.
---
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'