This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is a priest or warlock right for me?

#1Deathstroke33Posted 2/18/2013 5:17:04 PM
So I've decided to make the jump into WoW. I played SWTOR for a while and my favorite character was a Sage. I also played a lot of City of Heroes and my favorite character was a Defender or Controller.

I've always enjoyed the ranged damage dealer. I thought about a Mage, but I tend to like a little more diversity (perhaps I'm wrong in my assumption here) with my characters.

As far as my play style. I like to quest but plan on doing dungeons as I level up and eventually raids at some point. I will jump into pvp from time to time but it won't be that often.

Thanks in advance
#2MCC1701Posted 2/18/2013 5:36:46 PM
If sage is the same as sith sorc, then that is very much like a priest, though with 2 trees about healing and 1 for damage.

Warlocks are only DPS, but can have a minion tank for versatility, and has three different trees for DD, dots, and then you have demonology.

If you want to be able to be a healer, go priest. If you never want to heal, you will find a lot more versatility as a warlock. I enjoy my warlock a lot more than my priest, but both are fun.
---
World of Warcraft, Dark Souls, Magic: The Gathering. I know a lot about each of them so if you have any questions, just ask.
#3Deathstroke33(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 4:14:17 AM
Thanks. Still having some trouble deciding. Wish I had unlimited time :/
#4Coop14Posted 2/19/2013 5:26:55 AM
I prefer Priest over Lock even after all the changes. Shadow Priest is a unique spec and Disc healing is amazing fun.
---
I'd like to pull those horns, smash her face into my bed. - Zardar, the one who makes me laugh over everything.
#5weebmanPosted 2/19/2013 10:00:09 AM
The only real advise that can be given really is to try them both out. I main a lock and I have a priest that I think is a blast to play. I started as a lock when I began playing so I will always have a soft spot for them. I made my priest to try one out and I liked it too. Like I said though, just try them both out and see what clicks with you.
#6Lightning BoltPosted 2/19/2013 10:15:28 AM
If you want to heal, go Priest because Locks can't heal. If you don't mind not being able to heal, then Locks are better in like every way.
Locks recently got a major revamp up from their 2005 mechanics, and they're definitely the most fun caster damage dealer at the moment.
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
#7B1g_ClownPosted 2/19/2013 12:27:10 PM
Coop14 posted...
I prefer Lock over Priest even after all the changes. Shadow Priest is a copy n paste affliction spec and Disc healing is amazingly simple.

Fixed it for you, I hope you don't mind.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjJi5xhAOzQ
#8ElaeusPosted 2/19/2013 12:32:43 PM
Yeah, sadly shadow priests are boring as balls to level. In fact, there were several points in times were killing stuff as a discipline priest (healing spec) is more effective.

I wouldn't recommend them as a first character ever to be honest, even though they are "damage dealing for dummies" at max level.

I recommend the warlock, destruction or demonology for leveling. I love affliction best, but it is more effective at max level rather than at leveling, and shadow is the inferior sister of affliction.
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#9BMac89Posted 2/19/2013 1:25:30 PM
Priest, you can out dps lock easy, and heal.
---
I was on Intervention
#10ElaeusPosted 2/19/2013 1:39:05 PM
BMac89 posted...
Priest, you can out dps lock easy, and heal.

Endgame? Nope. Not even average compared to almost every other caster and most melee specs this tier. World of Logs.

inb4 lfr heroes butt in.
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22