This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New Player, some questions

#1musumanePosted 2/19/2013 1:16:18 PM
Decided to give WoW a try, since the game literally costs 5 dollars with their sale or whatever, and wanted to ask some questions before I commit to downloading the 22gigs to play

1) When will i need the Cata/MoP expansions? Should I pick them up now? ( 30 dollars for both total )

2) How long does it take to "reach endgame", mind you I don't plan to bum rush content, but I don't plan to go out of my way to stay in a level range and explore either

3) Are "English " servers actually English ( aka will I see a bunch of people spaming in Spanish like a lot of other MMORPGs?)

4) Any other advise for a new player?
---
Haku (or Jinsei Shinzaki or whatever name he goes by nowadays) is badass.! - 619King
#2Glockass1Posted 2/19/2013 1:21:50 PM
1) 30 dollars both is a great deal

2)I usually level my characters to 90 in 3-3,5 days /played. But I use a guide and I know most of the quests by heart because I've done them a lot of times before. For a newcomer it might take 5-6 days /played to get to 90 if you take your time.

3)The big ones are

4)Bind your skills from the start. Also unbind Q and E and bind A and D to Strafe Left and Strafe Right respectively.
---
Steam ID: Glockass1
#3CapnCrunch1Posted 2/19/2013 1:41:32 PM
Glockass1 posted...

2)I usually level my characters to 90 in 3-3,5 days /played. But I use a guide and I know most of the quests by heart because I've done them a lot of times before. For a newcomer it might take 5-6 days /played to get to 90 if you take your time.

3)The big ones are

4)Bind your skills from the start. Also unbind Q and E and bind A and D to Strafe Left and Strafe Right respectively.

4) Bind walking/strafing to ESDF instead of WASD. S and D will be your left/right strafe. Make sure you turn with the mouse. Nobody likes a keyboard turner. ESDF binding just frees up a few extra keys for your ring/pinky finger to hit.
#4ViolentAbacusPosted 2/19/2013 1:42:09 PM
You don't have to, but it won't hurt, and it'd save you from getting them later.

Depends how much you play. Probably 3-7 /played

Nope, atleast, not in my experience.

Don't be dumb, use common sense, and don't stand in the fire ;3.
---
While you bask in my glory, please try not to make me angry by writing words that don't exist in dictionaries.
#5Glockass1Posted 2/19/2013 1:49:01 PM
CapnCrunch1 posted...
Glockass1 posted...

3)The big ones are

4) Bind walking/strafing to ESDF instead of WASD. S and D will be your left/right strafe. Make sure you turn with the mouse. Nobody likes a keyboard turner. ESDF binding just frees up a few extra keys for your ring/pinky finger to hit.

ESDF is awful for any player that respects himself. You can't hit CTRL/ALT with ease when you play with ESDF.
---
#6CapnCrunch1Posted 2/19/2013 1:52:50 PM
Glockass1 posted...
ESDF is awful for any player that respects himself. You can't hit CTRL/ALT with ease when you play with ESDF.

I never use CTRL/ALT anyway. I've been using it for the past 3 years, just takes a little bit of getting use to.
#7ElaeusPosted 2/19/2013 2:46:37 PM
CapnCrunch1 posted...
I never use CTRL/ALT anyway.

LMFAO
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#8MCC1701Posted 2/19/2013 2:52:09 PM
1. I would if I were you, but I am me and you are you. If you think you will be playing wow a fair amount, go for it. If you doubt it will hold your interest then don't bother.
2. If you are by yourself, it depends on you. You are new and aren't in a rush, so I could see you taking a month to reach there. However if you someone who would pull an all-nighter or play a fair amount, or you have had a fair amount of experience in other MMOs, you could reach it in much less
3. At least in my experience, you will rarely see anything of other languages. Just pick a server in your area(or pick bronzebeard and I can give you a hundred gold or so to start you off)
4. I leave QWEASD bound the way they are, and it works great. I wouldn't advise a newbie to get too involved in keybinding unless they have already had experience with it.

If you have any other questions such as with profs, classes, races, etc feel free to ask here or via PM.
---
World of Warcraft, Dark Souls, Magic: The Gathering. I know a lot about each of them so if you have any questions, just ask.
#9Glockass1Posted 2/19/2013 3:08:10 PM
MCC1701 posted...
1. I would if I were you, but I am me and you are you. If you think you will be playing wow a fair amount, go for it. If you doubt it will hold your interest then don't bother.
2. If you are by yourself, it depends on you. You are new and aren't in a rush, so I could see you taking a month to reach there. However if you someone who would pull an all-nighter or play a fair amount, or you have had a fair amount of experience in other MMOs, you could reach it in much less
3. At least in my experience, you will rarely see anything of other languages. Just pick a server in your area(or pick bronzebeard and I can give you a hundred gold or so to start you off)
4. I leave QWEASD bound the way they are, and it works great. I wouldn't advise a newbie to get too involved in keybinding unless they have already had experience with it.

If you have any other questions such as with profs, classes, races, etc feel free to ask here or via PM.

LOL@not bothering with keybinding
---
#10CapnCrunch1Posted 2/19/2013 3:11:47 PM
Elaeus posted...
LMFAO

How is that funny? I still have 20+ keybinds (don't feel like counting) without CTRL/ALT.