This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just made a mage. What Spec is the best?

#1PannerPosted 2/22/2013 1:18:48 AM
Ive just my mage to lvl 10 and would like to know what spec is best for PVE?
I wont be doing much PVP so im not too bothered if a spec is more geared to that.

Thanks.
---
Gamertag : Steel Hunter
NNID : SteelHunter
#2AdelbertSteinerPosted 2/22/2013 2:14:55 AM
For leveling, go Frost. Your Water Elemental is invaluable.

For end-game content, go Arcane.
---
Your home wrecking skills are remarkable! - josay25936
3DS FC - 0989-2192-0709
#3Panner(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 2:23:55 AM
Thank you.
---
#4WesternWizardPosted 2/22/2013 2:33:29 AM
All three specs are viable for endgame PvE, but frost is easily the best soloing spec.

You have access to pet freeze + ice lance which gives great burst damage and survivability.

I recommend taking ice barrier as a talent, as it allows you to survive most anything.

Arcane becomes viable once you can glyph arcane blast with slow, and fire is pretty great with good gear once you get the ability to DOT effectively, as you can kill multiple mobs at once.

Ultimately though, frost is easily the safest choice. At level 30 you can dual-spec arcane or fire, for more DPS in dungeons.
#5HakPosted 2/22/2013 2:35:20 AM
And if you decide you want to raid after next week when 5.2 hits, might as well stay Frost anyway.
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#6AC_DragonfirePosted 2/22/2013 2:39:33 AM
Always had fun with Fire spec. You can go fire spec once you're like lvl 60+. 1-60 frost is a no brainer. Feel free to experiment with what fits your playstyle.
#7Panner(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 2:49:39 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I never even thought about duel speccing.
---
#8inferiorweaselPosted 2/22/2013 3:36:35 AM
I've been Frost since vanilla, so for 8 years now. I love it, it's the only way I play. Arcane is too boring and fire is too single target for me. Frost is great for AOE farming as well.

But all 3 specs are great. Frost at end game doesn't provide the top DPS, but IMO it's more versatile with the best survivability over all 3 of the specs.
---
Live and Learn / Forgiveness is Divine.
(Read those. If you still feel the same way.... Well, you are redcount. - Vyyk)
#9GryfterPosted 2/22/2013 5:38:17 AM
Hak posted...
And if you decide you want to raid after next week when 5.2 hits, might as well stay Frost anyway.

Arcane getting a serious nerf come 5.2; lowered damage, increased mana costs, and Scorch-weaving is no longer doable...
---
PlayStation Network ID: Gryfter
#10RentedToolboxPosted 2/22/2013 8:07:03 AM
inferiorweasel posted...
I've been Frost since vanilla, so for 8 years now. I love it, it's the only way I play. Arcane is too boring and fire is too single target for me. Frost is great for AOE farming as well.

But all 3 specs are great. Frost at end game doesn't provide the top DPS, but IMO it's more versatile with the best survivability over all 3 of the specs.

I don't know if you're played Fire recently, but right now it's all about blasting DOTs all over the place.