This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just made a mage. What Spec is the best?

#11AssultTankPosted 2/22/2013 10:13:44 AM
I would suggest not going Fire at 90 until you can get 30% crit with Molten Armor and Arcane Brilliance. At 20% crit, it'll be about a 10k DPS loss over the other two specs. At least that was what my dummy testing showed.

Once I hit 30% crit however, Fire pulled ahead slightly. At least for me. This is probably because I'm better at Fire than the other two specs and I can usually pull within 5% of simulation maximum for my gear, so your results may vary.
---
http://wh.gov/RI5h Petition to declare Westboro Baptist Church a hate group.
John 6:53 Jesus promoting cannibalism.
#12xFilthPosted 2/22/2013 10:53:54 AM
Arcane is not going to be fun in 5.2. I've been playing arcane with haste/invo build and it has been insane in burst and general single target dps, but after seeing the upcoming arcane changes, I switched back to fire last raid, and I'm loving it again. Even got ranked 7 on WoL on protectors - gotta love/hate rng specs, lol.
#13inferiorweaselPosted 2/22/2013 11:05:57 PM
RentedToolbox posted...
inferiorweasel posted...
I've been Frost since vanilla, so for 8 years now. I love it, it's the only way I play. Arcane is too boring and fire is too single target for me. Frost is great for AOE farming as well.

But all 3 specs are great. Frost at end game doesn't provide the top DPS, but IMO it's more versatile with the best survivability over all 3 of the specs.

I don't know if you're played Fire recently, but right now it's all about blasting DOTs all over the place.

It's always been about dots. Single targetting units first. >.<
---
Live and Learn / Forgiveness is Divine.
(Read those. If you still feel the same way.... Well, you are redcount. - Vyyk)