This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do Holy Priests need a buff?

#1Unbridled9Posted 2/23/2013 2:15:02 AM
It seems to me that Holy Priests have so many spells that simply take too long to cast (their default heal takes over two seconds to cast) or are too costly for any sustained healing and don't seem to offer any real benefits that other healing classes do. Are they weak healers? Or have I just been seeing poor holy priests?
---
Math with Vi!
My 2 fists - 1 of your face = 1 dead foe.
#2MajinUltimaPosted 2/23/2013 2:54:16 AM
Even if they're fine, Disc are just too overpowered.
---
Homura-chan is the coolest.
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8901/homura03.jpg
#3AzureHauddenPosted 2/23/2013 3:42:42 AM
MajinUltima posted...

Getting nerfed next patch.
And yes holy is pretty weak for its purpose. Renew is very useful though.
---
Gt : Azurehaudden .
#4ElaeusPosted 2/23/2013 5:54:46 AM
Holy is fine. HPS wise it's on top end. The problem lies in its regen, which is normal in the first tier every expansion and holy usually scales very well with gear.

5.2 logs will give better answers.
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#5MajinUltimaPosted 2/23/2013 9:59:53 AM
AzureHaudden posted...
MajinUltima posted...

Getting nerfed next patch.
And yes holy is pretty weak for its purpose. Renew is very useful though.

--No, Disc really isn't getting nerfed. Sniping heals and inflating numbers with Spirit Shell is getting nerfed, but the raw cost-efficient throughput on Atonement isn't being touched. Penance is buffed, the cooldown reduced by an extra second without the T14 4pc, and Mastery will now affect Penance heals in addition to Divine Aegis (should still stack Crit though).

You're still going to have a healing class that has competitive throughput AND does 30-40k+ extra dps AND scales absurdly on bosses with increased damage taken mechanics. When your options are to do approximately the same healing, but 1 spec does a free half a player's worth of dps, then it's clear which spec is the correct choice.

Fortunately GC did say they're supposedly keeping an eye on Atonement, but I don't think they really recognize the issue:
- I can spend ~6k mana on a 2.5sec cast Heal, or I can spend ~6k on a 1.5sec cast Smite... with Smite healing for almost the same amount AND doing its own value over in damage AND scaling from several boss mechanics. And Holy Fire/Solace and Penance are much more mana and time efficient with low cooldowns... Smite is the inefficient one, yet it matches the efficient heal of the class with almost twice the cast speed.

Thye've buffed Monks' Eminence, which is just going to make this issue worse. Woe to the Shamans Druids and Paladins who want to heal in 5.2.
---
Homura-chan is the coolest.
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8901/homura03.jpg
#6BonzoForLyfePosted 2/23/2013 12:48:08 PM
I only feel like that chakra is too clumsy of a mechanic... Overall I think they are in a good position, with slight mana regen issues
---
Dispatch, Steve Nash, Fight Club.....'Nuff said
#7ElaeusPosted 2/23/2013 12:52:17 PM
BonzoForLyfe posted...
I only feel like that chakra is too clumsy of a mechanic... Overall I think they are in a good position, with slight mana regen issues

I really love Chakra. Yeah it can be annoying to switch but actually switching it is more fun than using the same chakra (sanctuary) even for single target due to mad scaling by DS hc time.
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#8Unbridled9(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 6:06:31 PM
Chakra isn't the problem. It's that the multiple modes make little sense unless a fight has very distinct phases/needs. For example, in normal Weaponmaster you're likely to stay AoE unless your raid is so good at wildfire/bad at tanking that you can/must go single. There is no way with chakra to, say, AoE target then notice the tank going down, pop over to single-target, heal, then revert back without some serious risk beyond the fact that the raid will be missing a healer (as your heals will be weaker until you can shift back and your word is the wrong one). This could be dealt with easier if priests didn't have such clunky/expensive normal heals, but they do. So a priest needs to balance their clunky/expensive heals, chakra states, and focus between raid/single healing on top of the normal healing stresses. Yea... It's not fun.
---
Math with Vi!
My 2 fists - 1 of your face = 1 dead foe.