This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

was on the verge of quitting until i decided to shelve all of my alts for good.

#11ElaeusPosted 2/24/2013 11:19:16 AM
piplupzero posted...
Wookie_Is_Back posted...
I've never had more fun leveling one alt then doing the same quests on another alt. Idk why lol but I love it and I'm about to have seven 90s in a few days.

Maybe its the same reason knowing spoilers actually enhances your enjoyment of a storyline?
Maybe its because the first time you will be rushing to have a 90 but the next few you take your time?
Maybe its because I'm theorizing too much and should just shut up and enjoy the game?

I dunno... It works this way for me as well. Usually the second and third leveling experience through a zone are my favorites.

I never understood the notion of having to gear every alt you have from 5 mans or even LFR. I mean, I have everything at either 85 or 90 but some of those still got Cata greens. The only reason I leveled everything back then is because I was recovering from an operation and couldn't raid on schedule, so I figured why not learning all the cooldowns and spells of the classes I am not experienced with so that might help me more in the future. Turned out for the best as I raid lead Dragon Soul progress.

Aside from that, I enjoy playing one or two characters at a time whether for a raiding or exploration/achievements purpose. This character might vary from tier to tier but I usually stick with it and the accomplishments I make keep me in game. I don't give a crap about having my alts in the latest available gear unless I am going to progress with the guild on one (i.e: Change main mid tier to serve the guild).

I find it hilarious that people complain about "burn out from dailies" when all they do is running 5 mans on their alts. The reason for the burnout is not only the repetitiveness which they tried to avoid and fell right into, but it comes from the feeling that their characters aren't progressing. Swallow it up and do your damn dailies, get yourself to lv470 and start running raids while doing dailies at the same time to fill the gabs. You will feel alot better.
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#12TloyaPosted 2/24/2013 12:57:17 PM
I don't buy the argument that MoP is more linear than Cataclysm.

About the only difference is that you are required to do the first set of quests in Jade Forest through hitting exalted with Hozen/Jinyu. Once you get to Dawn's Blossom, you have lots of options and can basically do the various hubs throughout a zone in any order, or just skip them and move on to the next zone.

Cataclysm gives you a choice between Vashj'ir and Hyjal (but no one does Vashj'ir more than once because Hyjal is faster), and then it's Deepholm -> Uldum -> Twilight Highlands. And within each zone there are very few divergences in route. Vashj'ir is totally linear with basically no choice between hubs. Hyjal has a teensy amount in doing each of the Ancients but after that it's a straight line, Deepholm and Twilight Highlands are also almost wholly linear in quest flow. Uldum lets you choose between the Harrison Jones chain and the Ramkahen chain, each of which is a straight line within itself.
---
http://i33.tinypic.com/i3yr8w.png
http://i56.tinypic.com/2d9tox1.jpg
#13lunchbox2042Posted 2/24/2013 1:17:45 PM
At least you can decide which order to do quests in for each zone.
---
GT: Mr Fn Lunchbox
#14HakPosted 2/25/2013 9:58:13 AM
Nightbird_X posted...
ATiRadeonHD posted...
Abyssmal Fiend posted...
This expansion is ruthlessly anti-alt primarily because leveling is so ridiculously linear. Your quest chain in Jade Forest is linear and, aside from deciding which of the two level 86 zones you do next, it's a linear progression from that point forward -- Kun-Lai to Townlong, Townlong to Dread Wastes.

Because everyone loved that non-linear questing of Blades Edge toobadyoudonthaveaflyingMountains and Nagrind.

Pretty much everyone did, other than those that think it prudent to list their computer specs as if it's a measurement of their d*** or something.

Not that I like to ever go along with Nightbird's posts, but I was more concerned about a username of ATIRadeonHD who then quotes in his sig that he uses an nVidia card. Fried my brain....
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#15BearlyWillingPosted 2/25/2013 12:10:49 PM
I'm about ready to quit because of the anti-alt attitude Blizzard has with this expansion. I finished 16/16 normal tanking on my DK and then just bored as hell when my guild started heroics.

I switched to leveling my paladin with some real life friends and now that he's 90 and geared up too, I just have no desire to play. VP capping one character alone is tedious enough when you don't get that extra VP from raiding now and having a full time job (blah blah, I know, I know).

I try to split my time up between them and it just feels like I'm not making a VP cap dent. If I try to focus on one, I still don't cap until Friday night or Saturday morning/afternoon and then its a mad dash to cap the alt.

Yes, I understand I don't have to do it. I also don't have to eat lunch every day. The gear progression is what I love about this game - I have no interest in pokemons, PvP, etc. Its just far too grindy now - I never have "time" for anything else it feels like.

Granted, I will say that BC is probably still my favorite xpac, but a lot of that is nostalgia from a time when I was in college and had a part time job. I also wasn't married so I could sit in front of my computer all day if I wanted and play. I know I'll get a lot of hate for this, but I think Cata had it great - capping was quick (though I will acquiesce that it was too quick), I could gear multiple alts, and still enjoy what the game had to offer.

Now I just don't care. Looks like console and a mix of non-MMO PC gaming is what'll work for me for now.
#16VohodPosted 2/25/2013 5:05:00 PM
In terms of linearity, I have not yet played MoP (resubbing in a few weeks after a project is done)... BUT, I think the reason it is more satisfying is you are getting more invested in a single character. It was always a thrill for me to have my primary character win an amazing drop in a raid, but if I was raiding on my rogue and got a great drop I wouldn't feel that amazes (in fact I sometimes would just complainthat X item also dropped, and my main really could use that for a secondary gear set or w/e).
#17inferiorweaselPosted 2/25/2013 6:21:48 PM
BearlyWilling posted...
I'm about ready to quit because of the anti-alt attitude Blizzard has with this expansion. I finished 16/16 normal tanking on my DK and then just bored as hell when my guild started heroics.

I switched to leveling my paladin with some real life friends and now that he's 90 and geared up too, I just have no desire to play. VP capping one character alone is tedious enough when you don't get that extra VP from raiding now and having a full time job (blah blah, I know, I know).

I try to split my time up between them and it just feels like I'm not making a VP cap dent. If I try to focus on one, I still don't cap until Friday night or Saturday morning/afternoon and then its a mad dash to cap the alt.

Yes, I understand I don't have to do it. I also don't have to eat lunch every day. The gear progression is what I love about this game - I have no interest in pokemons, PvP, etc. Its just far too grindy now - I never have "time" for anything else it feels like.

Granted, I will say that BC is probably still my favorite xpac, but a lot of that is nostalgia from a time when I was in college and had a part time job. I also wasn't married so I could sit in front of my computer all day if I wanted and play. I know I'll get a lot of hate for this, but I think Cata had it great - capping was quick (though I will acquiesce that it was too quick), I could gear multiple alts, and still enjoy what the game had to offer.

Now I just don't care. Looks like console and a mix of non-MMO PC gaming is what'll work for me for now.

Anti-Alt attitude? you're on crack. Quit now and save us all your whinning.
---
Live and Learn / Forgiveness is Divine.
(Read those. If you still feel the same way.... Well, you are redcount. - Vyyk)
#18angrywalrus13Posted 2/25/2013 6:31:09 PM
lunchbox2042 posted...
At least you can decide which order to do quests in for each zone.

Word. I think a lot of folks may not realize it, but you can pretty much avoid the "main" questline in most of the zones and get plenty of EXP elsewhere. Some zones (Dread Wastes, namely) have a lot less going on outside of their main questline (pretty much just Brewgarden and Soggy's Gambit, righT?), but it's still an improvement over Cataclysm.
---
Thomx
like tommicks
#19HexrapperPosted 2/25/2013 6:32:50 PM
He's right though. It's difficult to maintain two or more characters now. I gave up on dailies for valor rewards a long time ago, and the game being grindy as it is now definitely contributes to me not having as much fun with it as I did during Cata (although another part of that is the poor state our raid team has been in for T14.)
---
SMILE! :D
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/%C3%85rcher/advanced
#20Nightbird_XPosted 2/26/2013 8:46:17 PM
Hak posted...
Nightbird_X posted...
ATiRadeonHD posted...
Abyssmal Fiend posted...
This expansion is ruthlessly anti-alt primarily because leveling is so ridiculously linear. Your quest chain in Jade Forest is linear and, aside from deciding which of the two level 86 zones you do next, it's a linear progression from that point forward -- Kun-Lai to Townlong, Townlong to Dread Wastes.

Because everyone loved that non-linear questing of Blades Edge toobadyoudonthaveaflyingMountains and Nagrind.

Pretty much everyone did, other than those that think it prudent to list their computer specs as if it's a measurement of their d*** or something.

Not that I like to ever go along with Nightbird's posts, but I was more concerned about a username of ATIRadeonHD who then quotes in his sig that he uses an nVidia card. Fried my brain....

You can dislike what I say because you don't like me, but that's just petty considering I'm correct.
---
I'm told I look a lot like Rory Macdonald - http://i46.tinypic.com/2eyf5sy.jpg
Set to WARNED status for being a Republican on 11/08/2012