This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Warcraft versus Warhammer, In Terms of Lore. Which Do You Prefer?

#11c0sa n0straPosted 2/25/2013 1:07:50 AM
Warhammer, I have a boatload of novel from both Fantasy and 40k, it's much grittier and doesn't really bother with pantheons and councils of wise sages and friendly dragons and whatnot (not that I don't like that about WoW, it's just a very different kind of fantasy) I can especially recommend anything written by Dan Abnett, he writes mostly 40k, but his Gaunt's Ghosts series and Inquisitor novels are pure genius.

Also: Skaven.
#12HakPosted 2/25/2013 3:17:25 AM
c0sa n0stra posted...
Warhammer, I have a boatload of novel from both Fantasy and 40k, it's much grittier and doesn't really bother with pantheons and councils of wise sages and friendly dragons and whatnot (not that I don't like that about WoW, it's just a very different kind of fantasy) I can especially recommend anything written by Dan Abnett, he writes mostly 40k, but his Gaunt's Ghosts series and Inquisitor novels are pure genius.

Also: Skaven.

Yeah, but Abnett is awesome. Writes for Marvel and 2000AD too. He's that well respected that Marvel wanted him to sign an exclusive contract, which he originally rejected as he didn't want to leave Games Workshop and 2000AD, so Marvel rewrote the contract to state that, since those companies weren't "competition" for Marvel, he could still be involved with them.

To quote Andy Lanning when asked about it "signing off on a couple of exceptions that are not direct competition, for example, Dan's 2000AD work in the UK and his Games Workshop novels."
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#13AsthalothPosted 2/25/2013 4:26:43 AM
Ghostfeet posted...
Infested_Hobo posted...
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!!!

KILL! MAIM! BURN!
#14Xero KaiserPosted 2/25/2013 4:58:04 AM
Warhammer, easily. I like the stories in Warcraft 2 and 3, but it's been a downhill slide ever since then.
#15YhiPosted 2/25/2013 5:51:16 AM
hmm warcraft or the thing that ripped off warcraft

yeah confirmed joke topic.
#16HakPosted 2/25/2013 5:53:54 AM
Yhi posted...

yeah confirmed fail troll post
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#17MindersPosted 2/25/2013 6:27:21 AM
Yhi posted...

Yea... how about no?
As far as I'm aware Warcraft 1 started out as a game based on Warhammer but they for some reason (can't remember what) decided to go with their own story isntead.
---
"homer the lord only asks for one hour a week" -Marge
"in that case he should have made the week an hour longer..." -Homer (GF)
#18HakPosted 2/25/2013 6:36:07 AM
Minders posted...
Yhi posted...

Yea... how about no?
As far as I'm aware Warcraft 1 started out as a game based on Warhammer but they for some reason (can't remember what) decided to go with their own story isntead.

Not quite... Starcraft was the 40k based game. Space Marines, Eldar and Tyranids became Terrans, Protoss and Zerg after GW renewed their contract with EA Games.
---
#19Tucker_BAPosted 2/25/2013 8:57:43 AM
Warhammer fantasy is fantastic.

Shame about WAR, though.
---
Houston Texans: 12-4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjD6wo9BIyM