This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did Blizzard update the character models yet?

#1TheMajorScalePosted 3/3/2013 11:47:09 AM
Do the vanilla races still look antiquated and out of place?
#2CornwallacePosted 3/3/2013 11:48:09 AM
Yep, but usually you're zoomed out from your character and wearing higher detailed armor.
---
http://creativegametheory.com/ Upcoming free Tower Defense game, check it out if you want. I'm not the boss of you. Platinum FC - 4599 8066 5562
#3Lightning BoltPosted 3/3/2013 11:54:22 AM
Corn lies, they haven't updated them.
It's planned for some time eventually, but hasn't happened yet.
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
#4angrywalrus13Posted 3/3/2013 12:14:59 PM
Lightning Bolt posted...
Corn lies, they haven't updated them.
It's planned for some time eventually, but hasn't happened yet.

I think he was answering the second question.

But it'll probs happen by the next expansion.

Hopefully.
---
Thomx
like tommicks
#5superhoffyPosted 3/3/2013 12:37:13 PM
Do the vanilla races still look antiquated and out of place?

Do like me, make all your characters blood elves, best skin
#6StarfrishPosted 3/3/2013 12:44:54 PM
I don't understand why it's taking so long. They updated the models of the city leaders like two years ago. Of course, there isn't an updated city leader for every sex of every race, but you think they'd be moving it along by now.
---
http://i43.tinypic.com/f2sjug.jpg
Not changing this sig until the Twins win a World Series.
#7magnusmagneticPosted 3/3/2013 12:51:07 PM
One could only hope...

One can get slightly annoyed in pvp after being bested by tactics from what appears to be neanderthal man.

Ah humans, leave the cranial ridges and gap toothed grins for the orcs, we are civilized.
#8angrywalrus13Posted 3/3/2013 1:04:48 PM
Starfrish posted...
I don't understand why it's taking so long. They updated the models of the city leaders like two years ago. Of course, there isn't an updated city leader for every sex of every race, but you think they'd be moving it along by now.

It's less about just updating them and more about finding an updated look that boasts higher polygon counts/has more bones while still feeling close enough to the originals to not upset people who feel attached to the look of their character. It's a very delicate balance, and I imagine there's a lot of trial and error in their design, especially in regards to animations.

That said, the reason NPCs like faction leaders get updated a bit more quickly is because we don't play as them. They only have to design one particular look for a character, and then they can slap it on the old race's bones without much of a worry, as clipping isn't too much of an issue for an NPC. For playable character models, you have to treat things with a bit more care and precision, most importantly when thinking about player reaction to their model suddenly being changed.
---
Thomx
like tommicks
#9AceronPosted 3/3/2013 1:16:09 PM
That. It's less about the model, and more about all the animations that have to change to accomodate the new model. NPCs don't do all that much, so the number of animations they have to prepare for them are limited.

For a new PC race model, they got to redo all the dances, taunts, jokes, and the gear, oh god, the gear.
---
Believe in yourself. Not you, that believes in me.
Not me, that believes in you. Believe in you that believes in yourself. - Kamina, TTGL
#10angrywalrus13Posted 3/3/2013 1:31:00 PM
so the number of animations they have to prepare for them are limited.

Generally speaking, they don't have to prepare any. They just stick them on preexisting bones and their animations are already there. It's just modelwork, which, even then, isn't exactly a small job. People seem to have a perception that art (3D art, even) is trivial in grand scheme of game design. Oh man, if only.
---
Thomx
like tommicks