This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Players going AFK during boss battles should get autokicked

#1gymnast_79Posted 3/7/2013 2:19:19 PM
Seriously, the only thing increasing the challenge on raid bosses is the increased number of people afking / on follow / auto attacking during the fights. There seem to be more and more each week. Blizz should implement an autokick or low dps threshold that would get rid of leeching players.

ib4 Lol LFR
#2DawnshadowPosted 3/7/2013 3:06:53 PM(edited)
Low DPS threshold has one minor problem.

So, you start the fight. You lose a few healers, so a shadow priest stops DPSing and starts backup healing, causing their DPS to drop. Because of the backup healing, you down the boss. Does that priest not deserve gear?

And, of course, if you have it at a low level, you'll have selfish jerks gaming it. (Do 50k total, then just AFK the rest of the fight trollol.) If you tune it too high, you risk not giving gear to people who are trying, but are in suboptimal gear or just not very good. (And, no, "not being good" isn't reason to deny someone gear in a setting meant to be non-elitist.)
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#3zmknightzPosted 3/7/2013 3:09:43 PM
Really tired of the "So sick of unoptimized..." "How dare you AFK on short hour plus fight?" "everyone has to know every bit of the raid beforehand" elitist bs from some of the WoW players.

Expecting every class to have virtually the same build is asinine. "Fun?! We don't play games for fun! We play to maintain our peak DPS at all times!"

... vomit.
#4TreGoodaPosted 3/7/2013 3:32:18 PM
zmknightz posted...
Really tired of the "So sick of unoptimized..." "How dare you AFK on short hour plus fight?" "everyone has to know every bit of the raid beforehand" elitist bs from some of the WoW players.

Expecting every class to have virtually the same build is asinine. "Fun?! We don't play games for fun! We play to maintain our peak DPS at all times!"

... vomit.

This so much, I get so annoyed by these players.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#5Rayn247Posted 3/7/2013 4:24:55 PM
Not to mention that some of those elitest attitudes discourage some people from raiding because they don't know the fights yet. Everyone has to start somewhere. Today I did my first ever legit 25 man raid. And i was nervous as hell about it. Guess who was the only person to die? Me. But, at the end i still felt like I did a good job.
---
What doesn't kill me, had better start running.
#6magnusmagneticPosted 3/7/2013 4:42:24 PM
Rayn247 posted...
Not to mention that some of those elitest attitudes discourage some people from raiding because they don't know the fights yet. Everyone has to start somewhere. Today I did my first ever legit 25 man raid. And i was nervous as hell about it. Guess who was the only person to die? Me. But, at the end i still felt like I did a good job.

Elitist attitudes discourage everyone from gaming with them, it's like community wide segregation.

Correct.

No one is supposed to die on a successful raid, keep raiding, there is nothing to be nervous about. Keep a positive attitude.
#7EDarienPosted 3/7/2013 4:51:47 PM
TreGooda posted...
zmknightz posted...

... vomit.

This so much, I get so annoyed by these players.

While elitist players are annoying, yes, these posts have nothing to do with this topic. People not being good or unable to pull better DPS based on gear, skill or off-healing aren't what's being addressed here. The lazy people who simply queue up, run to the boss and then go AFK/alt-tab/auto-attack only are the people who should be somehow excluded. Low DPS threshold was one of a few ideas thrown out there. It's clearly not the best one because it punishes other people than just the lazy players, but it's at least an idea.

I in no way think it's elitist to expect people who are queued into a dungeon/raid to actually participate in said instance. TC, I get your point, but a threshold isn't the answer. A flag for AFK would, however, fix the problem as it could auto-boot someone who is on auto-attack/follow/etc. However, some might argue the person could just jump once in a awhile, and that's true. However it at least weeds out some.

Also, alt-tabbing during a fight should be an auto-kick. My client kicks me every time I'm alt-tabbed when I cross into a new zone on a flight-path trip. There's no reason they couldn't do the same for alt-tabbing/afk flag when also flagged as in-combat during an instance encounter. One could argue about researching the fight, but that should be done before the fight or after you're already dead/wiped and before you try it again.
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14
#8AssultTankPosted 3/7/2013 5:07:28 PM
EDarien posted...
Also, alt-tabbing during a fight should be an auto-kick. My client kicks me every time I'm alt-tabbed when I cross into a new zone on a flight-path trip. There's no reason they couldn't do the same for alt-tabbing/afk flag when also flagged as in-combat during an instance encounter. One could argue about researching the fight, but that should be done before the fight or after you're already dead/wiped and before you try it again.

I'd be a little leery about this one...

I actually raided in 10m for awhile dual boxing a Resto Shaman and a Demo Lock, and I managed to preform within 10% of my theoretical maximum on the lock for DPS while pretty much solo healing the first four MSV bosses. We just had our priest shadow healing for Spiritbinder while I was below and when possible we sent three DPS with self heals down.
Sometimes I would do LFR with this setup and I would top both healing and DPS.(not hard but :P)
If Alt-tabbing were an auto kick, I wouldn't be able to do this.

I actually have plans to start that back up again soon once I get my hunters leveled since I let that account lapse while I RaF level some new toons through dual-boxing.
---
http://wh.gov/RI5h Petition to declare Westboro Baptist Church a hate group.
John 6:53 Jesus promoting cannibalism.
#9EDarienPosted 3/7/2013 7:48:30 PM
AssultTank posted...
EDarien posted...

I'd be a little leery about this one...

I actually raided in 10m for awhile dual boxing a Resto Shaman and a Demo Lock, and I managed to preform within 10% of my theoretical maximum on the lock for DPS while pretty much solo healing the first four MSV bosses. We just had our priest shadow healing for Spiritbinder while I was below and when possible we sent three DPS with self heals down.
Sometimes I would do LFR with this setup and I would top both healing and DPS.(not hard but :P)
If Alt-tabbing were an auto kick, I wouldn't be able to do this.

I actually have plans to start that back up again soon once I get my hunters leveled since I let that account lapse while I RaF level some new toons through dual-boxing.

Not sure if you saw it, but there's another thread here about Blizzard disabling /follow in arenas and BGs to help combat multi-boxing. I see no reason to not do the same in PvE. Other people are gearing up, one character at a time. I understand that you're generating more money to Blizzard by having multiple accounts. I'm also sure they appreciate those extra accounts as it's both extra revenue directly, as well as helping them boost their figures to appear more popular than they actually are (albeit likely only a small amount as I doubt even 500k of the "9 million" active accounts are multi-boxed accounts, although I could also be wrong and it could be more than 500k or even 1M). All that said, it's a variation of "pay 2 win" gameplay. You pay more money to the company and are thereby granted an edge over the average, paying customer.

I get why people do it. And it can certainly help a raid, as you pointed out, who actually just doesn't have enough people to do the raid without one or more people mult-boxing. It does, however, mean you're still getting an unfair advantage if you're in a random-queue system which is what the bulk of WoW PvE is. Your two characters get double rolls on gear, especially with the newer system where you can trade gear that you rolled greed on with other players. I'm not the "play my way or you're doing it wrong" kind of guy. However, an unfair advantage is just that, no matter how you may justify it. People complain about pay to win in other games, but this game's allowance of multi-boxing has been WoW's version of the same for a long time, now. Luckily they're at least recognizing it in PvP. One might expect to see it in PvE, as well. I, for one, certainly hope so. If you're "soloing" content with your dual-box, then I don't see much harm in that (world PvP aside). In an instance with other people, though, in a random queue, you're potentially screwing over others by your ability/willingness to pay more per month. That should never be allowed in a "fair game."
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14
#10AssultTankPosted 3/7/2013 7:59:00 PM
Honestly though, in any content where you roll on loot, aka Dungeons and pug Normal Raids, the fact that you get double rolls is probably not going to matter too much. Especially if you're doing something like what I do with 1 Healer 1 DPS. The same advantage would be conferred by queuing with a friend for the specific purpose of having them roll on loot for you. Also, don't forget that the game will attempt to match you with players of different armor types, making the rolling issue only on gear which nobody else really wants anyway. The only time I could see this being a major issue would be if you're multiboxing 2 plate DPS or 2 leather agi and you get a tank who uses the same armor type. But again, the game will attempt to not match you with that if possible.

In LFR, you roll individually anyway, so you having two characters doesn't confer any advantage in loot.

As for raids, the raid leader is going to usually try to be careful not to get too many of something like, plate DPS, and they can also rule that you can only roll on one character for loot at a time.

The disadvantage is, it takes a lot more work to get your characters ready for LFR/Raiding, so it's kind of a trade off in you gain a small advantage in one thing and a hefty disadvantage in others.

Pretty much every advantage multiboxers gain has a disadvantage to go with it.
---
http://wh.gov/RI5h Petition to declare Westboro Baptist Church a hate group.
John 6:53 Jesus promoting cannibalism.