This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

5 things you would change if you were involved with the Redesign of the game.

#11ObsceneAnarchyPosted 3/10/2013 7:58:43 AM
Make instances more difficult. Or at least make heroic versions for people with experience and heirlooms. At the moment we can just steamroll through everything.
---
Brawl #: 2019-9336-9320
#12Coop14Posted 3/10/2013 8:58:42 AM
Probably 3
---
I'd like to pull those horns, smash her face into my bed. - Zardar, the one who makes me laugh over everything.
Music is apart of the soul. Cannot define this.
#13ryanell666Posted 3/10/2013 9:27:58 AM
Here are my 5.

1. Get rid of LFR, and make LFD server-only.

2. Get rid of badge loot system, or at least limit what is sold to rings, trinkets, off-hands, and maybe near-endgame level gems.

3. Bring back Talent trees. True player customization.

4. Get rid of factions. Make your guild an independent nation. Say by the end of MoP, due to failed leadership, the horde and alliance are dissolved; and everything becomes a free for all!

5. Get rid of flying mounts. Hi-speed land mount comparable to that of flight would be fine, but spineless ganking from above and lack of player interaction isn't.
#14Q_Sensei(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 9:44:18 AM
ryanell666 posted...

I agree and disagree with this.

The Talent Tree is good if it provides a number of different playstyles to achieve the same end - Aka the DK back before the talent tree change. I have a friend who liked how you could tank with basically every spec instead of just blood depending on how you tooled yourself.

The Talent Tree is bad though when you have dominant strategy pushing out all other options. Aka "Cookie Cutter" builds. The problem is that with basically only three goals roles in this game (Tank, Healer, DPS) each role is going to choose talents that will optimize that role in the best way.

In other words, the Talent Tree punishes noobs and benefits only those who know where to find the best builds from the people smart enough to figure them out.

In the end specializations make sense because even with the Talent Trees people tended toward cookie cutter builds anyway.

The current talent system is good because in most cases the talents provide different benefits that are good for different situations, and they've made it really easy to switch things around if you need to (You just can't do it in the middle of combat.)

In Summary, the old Talent Trees only gave the illusion of customization when in reality the smartest people all tended toward a specific optimized build based on their goals. There were small exceptions to this observation, but ultimately the new Spec system is more reasonable.

Except for the part where some classes have 3 DPS specs, one of which is always going to be worthless unless they were completely balanced.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Gel15.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk&ob=av2e If you click my sig, make sure you watch at least 60 seconds.
#15nimatoda666Posted 3/10/2013 9:56:48 AM
ryanell666 posted...
Here are my 5.

2. Get rid of badge loot system, or at least limit what is sold to rings, trinkets, off-hands, and maybe near-endgame level gems.

4. Get rid of factions. Make your guild an independent nation. Say by the end of MoP, due to failed leadership, the horde and alliance are dissolved; and everything becomes a free for all!

5. Get rid of flying mounts. Hi-speed land mount comparable to that of flight would be fine, but spineless ganking from above and lack of player interaction isn't.

I'm sorry but thank you so much for not being a developer.
#16ryanell666Posted 3/10/2013 10:05:55 AM
I agree, and understand why the old talent tree didn't work. But I do believe that there could've been improvements to the tree, to accommodate any player of varying skill.

Perhaps a reward & penality angle that could balance out the overall build. IE sacrifice defense for more strength.
#17ryanell666Posted 3/10/2013 10:08:53 AM
nimatoda666 posted...
ryanell666 posted...
Here are my 5.

I'm sorry but thank you so much for not being a developer.

I'm sorry but thank you so much for proving you aren't a real MMO gamer.
#18halomonkey1_3_5Posted 3/10/2013 10:11:24 AM
Q_Sensei posted...
That's a pretty extreme reaction without any reason.

We dont need literally 1/3 of the classes using a single armor type. You'd have to either add more INT leather(which would be frustrating for AGI leather users when you realize that only 4 specs use it out of the 13 specs that would wear leather), which means you'll still have plenty of gear no one uses, which is the entire purpose of streamlining the gear levels in the first place. It would also mean it severely limits Blizzard when it comes to adding new classes(since you cant add anymore leather users without creating even more competition, it would have to be a Plate melee class or a Cloth caster, it couldn't realistically be a hybrid ranged/melee because you overloaded the hybrid armor type).

Mail exists for a reason(to keep leather from being too crowded). The only gear type that could feasibly be removed would be Spell plate, but honestly I'd rather they turn one of the DK specs into a plate caster then outright remove the armor type altogether.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#19DawnshadowPosted 3/10/2013 10:47:47 AM
1. There are no pure classes. Every class can DPS. Every class can either tank or heal. (A few classes can tank and heal.) Fourth specs would probably be the ideal way to implement this retroactively.

2. Re-evaluate low level content with each expansion and tweak it back to the intended difficulty. I don't want low level dungeons to be "difficult"-- I've been playing this game for five years, something that's tricky for me would be way overtuned for a new player, and low level content HAS to be tuned for the clueless newbie. I just want them to not be the cakewalks they are now-- typical DPS, even in greens, is jacked up so high that bosses typically die in 20 seconds or so in BC and Wrath dungeons, before they can do anything.

2.25. Tweak Wrath and BC dungeons a bit if they're still too easy once the HP of mobs is adjusted-- they're high enough to no longer be newbie content-- so the first Cata dungeons aren't such a wake-up call to the clueless newbies who are used to clothies being able to tank and bosses dying in 20 seconds. Smooth out the difficulty curve. (Note: I am not asking for the nerfing of Cata dungeons.)

2.5 Heirlooms still give an XP boost, but have somewhat lower stats than a blue of their level, to make up for the fact that they level with you. A blue item of your level should be better than an heirloom, because you'll surpass the blue quickly enough.

3. Dungeons are designed for 6 or 7 players-- one tank, one healer, but 4-5 DPS. Increase mob hit points

4. The level cap is, and will always be, 60. Offer some alternative form of advancement, and build new content wide, not tall.

The reason for this is that leveling is both too long and too fast right now. It took me over 24 hours, with full heirlooms and RAF granting triple XP, to level my monk to level 80-- and I still have another 20 hours to go to hit 90 on him, mostly likely. At the same time, the low levels fly by too quickly for leveling to feel like an accomplishment anymore, and you outlevel questing zones before you finish their quests. Leveling content is just too easy to really teach you your class, and forcing every character to spend 60-80 hours on fluff just to reach the "real game" is over the top.

By concentrating the leveling process, the content will be more meaningful. On the other hand, how to balance endgame is another question....

5. I'm not sure if it would be worth the balance issues-- it's impossible to perfectly balance just nine classes, much less the thousands of combinations of the 11 classes we currently have-- but something I'd like to see tried is everyone having two classes (be it a main class and a secondary class, or you just have two classes.) Of course, the base design of the game would need to change a lot to accommodate this, but it would make things a lot less predictable if nothing else.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#20SpookingPosted 3/10/2013 10:50:13 AM
1. Get rid of the millions of kill / collection quests and replace them. With what? I don't know. It's tough being a developer. ;(
---
Prism Ranger (Red): Isn't it obvious? We don't have any friends!
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness