This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ten reasons why Vanilla WoW was worse than current WoW.

#31Sir WillPosted 3/16/2013 1:49:23 PM
Great list.
---
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
#32InfestedAdamPosted 3/16/2013 2:11:02 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...
The difference was in that in Wrath, Cata, and MoP, there are only three raid tiers, only the first of which had/has multiple raids in it, and there are still catch up methods in the game to get you to Throne of Thunder at a reaosnable rate.

The game's current tiered structure in Mists is a HUGE step up from Classic and BC, and does an excellent job of making sure old raids stay somewhat relevant without actually requiring you to invest massive amounts of time to get to the current tier.

Sorry, didn't want to repost that entire thing as a quote.

You do bring up some good points as I was only thinking of it from a gearing point of view for newcomers and didn't take attunements into account. Even then, when I come to think of it, there wasn't that much non-raiding compliments in gearing up back then. There were a few reputation grinding to gear gear but it was no where near as effective as the current means of getting gear outside of raids.
---
"You must gather your party before venturing forth"
"Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!"
#33AmakusaPosted 3/16/2013 3:45:46 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...
Take Classic for example. You would start running Upper Blackrock Spire and possibly Zul'Gurub to get gear for Molten Core. Once in Molten Core, you would start farming it for two things: Your Tier 1 set that you could use for a number of bosses that didn't require Fire Resist, and an entirely separate Fire Resistance set that was stastical mandatory requirement to kill the later bosses.

This is a load of crap. The only people that needed the Fire Resist gear was the tanks.
---
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.
#34Ness0123456789Posted 3/16/2013 4:13:20 PM(edited)
Ness0123456789 posted...
Take Classic for example. You would start running Upper Blackrock Spire and possibly Zul'Gurub to get gear for Molten Core. Once in Molten Core, you would start farming it for two things: Your Tier 1 set that you could use for a number of bosses that didn't require Fire Resist, and an entirely separate Fire Resistance set that was stastical mandatory requirement to kill the later bosses.

This is a load of crap. The only people that needed the Fire Resist gear was the tanks.

Wrath of Ragnaros Inflicts 1000 Fire damage to nearby enemies, knocking them back. Used on units in melee. 25 yard knockback (3 sec cooldown)

Hammer of Ragnaros Ranged knockback and damage "By fire be purged!" This attack targets a random player with a mana bar and knocks back all players (excluding the target) within ~20 yards. They are knocked back from the impact point which is at the foot of the target. (20-30sec cooldown)

Lava Splash Localized damage :At various times a lava splash will be triggered which cause large damage to all those hit. It will affect anyone within close proximity to a lava flow. With decent fire resist (150+) it should be partially resisted most of the time. It can be partially resisted with the standard mechanic; every 100FR equals about 25% damage reduction.

You were saying? I did Ragnaros back in the day, on a weekly basis. As the extra info says on the last ability, everyone needed around 150 Fire Resist. The tanks needed a crap ton, of course, to survive his actual melee attacks, but EVERYONE needed some form of Fire Resist, especially when the Sons of Flame spawned.

Hell, this is sitting right there in the old as dirt strategy guide for him on the WoWpedia site:

"-No member should exceed 315 resistance buffed as it is the maximum effective level of resistance. (See:Resistance) This is a DPS fight, you will need as much DPS gear as you can wear while maintaining a healthy, but not excessive level of resistance.
-Any melee classes should have at least 200.
-Any other class should have at the very least 100 (unbuffed), or they won't be around very long. In each case, more fire resistance is better."

Everyone needed Fire Resist for Ragnaros, period. You didn't need much for the other bosses, yes, save for Baron Geddon, Magamdar, and to a lesser extent Gehennas.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#35XtraTPosted 3/16/2013 4:19:36 PM
Amakusa posted...
Ness0123456789 posted...

rofl if you wanted to get 2 shotted sure
---
Grand Marshal/Gladiator Priest, Lightplol.
PvE gladiator holy paladin, Lightp.
#36Ness0123456789Posted 3/16/2013 4:22:43 PM
Amakusa posted...
Ness0123456789 posted...

rofl if you wanted to get 2 shotted sure

Xtrat...is...agreeing with me? And standing up for me?

I..I don't know what to do guys... I'm scared.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#37ryanell666Posted 3/16/2013 5:36:26 PM
Lots of reasonsable postings about the negative decline of WoW as the anti-thesis to the TC's claims.

Here are my two cents on the first post,...

1) does it really matter looking back then how the classes were categorized? Healers heal, tanks tank, DPS whips out the invisible epeen. As long as this type of so-called MMORPG uses the holy trinity, this point is moot.

2) vanilla enchants was humbly used to augment gear stats, not super inflate them to the point they become an equipment slot inside an equipment slot. Since its almost mandatory to enchant everything to keep up with the jones'.

3) LF features are the bane to what made MMORPG good..... This topic has been beaten around so many times only two logical conclusions that come out of it is that it destroys any social conventions within online gaming by eliminating any accountability a player has to other players which doesn't create a pleasant environment to spend time in.... As well, it breeds self-inguldent players who think they can skip everything to the last level of the game. Sure those who love the LF are those who had to cry to get rules of the game changed to their benefit, while real players are left wondering where real game itself went.

4) I'll give you this one. How ever back in the day, further that what you recall. Good PVP gear just needed high stamina and that's it. Except high stam gear came from raiding not so much as PvP alone; so if you wanted to be the best you had to do both PvE and PvP.

5) again, another topic about how crying casuals want to do level 5 by skipping 1,2,3 and 4. It really does ruin the role playing game when you take out the journey of it all.
#38XtraTPosted 3/16/2013 5:45:43 PM
ryanell666 posted...
Lots of reasonsable postings about the negative decline of WoW as the anti-thesis to the TC's claims.

Here are my two cents on the first post,...

1) does it really matter looking back then how the classes were categorized? Healers heal, tanks tank, DPS whips out the invisible epeen. As long as this type of so-called MMORPG uses the holy trinity, this point is moot.

Actually like the OP said it was hybrids healed, warriors tanked, pures DPS'd. Classes with healing specs couldn't DPS. Not because they could heal, but because their DPS sucked. Before the druid patch, druids quested as resto. It was that bad.

2) vanilla enchants was humbly used to augment gear stats, not super inflate them to the point they become an equipment slot inside an equipment slot. Since its almost mandatory to enchant everything to keep up with the jones'.

yeah crusader was such a humble enchant, it only gave you 10 slots of gear worth of strength. The rest of the enchants were the same as today's.
---
#39ryanell666Posted 3/16/2013 6:02:32 PM
In all fairness, it wasn't like everyone and their mother had the crusader enchant, back in vanilla. Drop rate of that recipie was non-existent, and the mats were super inflated, or super dramatized if you got an orb from a strath run.

It obviously was meant for the super dedicated elitests.
#40XtraTPosted 3/16/2013 6:07:11 PM
ryanell666 posted...
In all fairness, it wasn't like everyone and their mother had the crusader enchant, back in vanilla. Drop rate of that recipie was non-existent, and the mats were super inflated, or super dramatized if you got an orb from a strath run.

It obviously was meant for the super dedicated elitests.

jeez I wonder if you had the crusader enchant on one of your weapons

ps: it wasn't hard to get orbs, nor was it a elitist only enchant.
---