This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So WoW is more about the CPU/processing power than the Video card, right?

#1TheGreatCheezePosted 3/18/2013 9:38:04 PM
I'm saving up for a new computer to replace this 10 year old laptop, and I don't know if I should shell out for a really nice video card or not. I'd only be playing this, maybe Guild Wars 2 and possibly some CoD.

I hear people say a faster processor will do more for the game than a better video card, is this true? And how much would you say is a reasonable budget for buying/building a computer that would run Wow on High-Ultra? Let it be known that the closest I've come to building a computer is transferring out parts from a couple different computers to make a Transformer-esque style thing (Kind of like Megatron from the second Transformers.)
---
I follow people around on their slow mounts and say "CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT, STAR FOX!"
-Cereburus Q
#2shawn10000000Posted 3/18/2013 10:17:00 PM(edited)
Sure. but if you have a potato for a gpu you won't be able to bring graphics up to max. you know what they say, you can run wow on a potato but you need a space-age computer to max it because it's so poorly optimized

As for a budget, thats a question for another guy, i haven't built my own computer yet as i don't have a steady job so i just got a cheap one from walmart that plays wow at high settings with 40-50 fps. (not max)
#3hans1111Posted 3/19/2013 12:07:17 AM
I get like stable 75fps with eveyrthing maxed

I7
GTX 680
---
There is art and there are AMVz
Same goes for montages.
#4TheGreatCheeze(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2013 1:58:04 AM
hans1111 posted...

I7
GTX 680

Yeah, well, that single card is like 90% of the budget I had in mind. Sounds like some good ol' fashioned over kill to me. If I could spare the expense I wouldn't hesitate, though.
---
I follow people around on their slow mounts and say "CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT, STAR FOX!"
-Cereburus Q
#5rareware101Posted 3/19/2013 3:06:01 AM
My old 6870 handled ultra very well at 1920x1080. No need to go nuts with the spending. Second hand will be cheaper still.
---
The Jeff Minter Llama360 Hardware Achievement - Unlocked after completing the Visualiser
#6thebladeofwoePosted 3/19/2013 3:13:36 AM
It is more dependant on CPU, but as some else pointed out a crap card will bottle-neck the whole system.

Do you have budget in mind?

If you have any idea on what you want, try this site

www.pcpartpicker.co.uk

then from the top right hand screen select either US/UK pricings.

Then search your parts you want.

Good luck buddy.
---
If the original KotOR and World of Warcraft had an abortion it would look something like this. mikejolik on SWTOR
#7thebladeofwoePosted 3/19/2013 4:38:42 AM
thebladeofwoe posted...
It is more dependant on CPU, but as some else pointed out a crap card will bottle-neck the whole system.

Do you have budget in mind?

If you have any idea on what you want, try this site

www.pcpartpicker.co.uk

then from the top right hand screen select either US/UK pricings.

Then search your parts you want.

Good luck buddy.

EDIT: which Cod game? And dependent if you wanna go AMD or intel, as with AMD you can do the "trinity" build which works to about 4/500 ish..
---
If the original KotOR and World of Warcraft had an abortion it would look something like this. mikejolik on SWTOR
#8IdTheDemonPosted 3/19/2013 8:20:15 AM
i5 3750's are only $180 or so and it's an amazing CPU. Actually looking to get one this weekend with a new MOBO.
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmane/ceejay/simple
#9vahndragonwingPosted 3/19/2013 8:26:39 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottleneck

Just avoid this and you'll be fine
---
IMO
#10vahndragonwingPosted 3/19/2013 8:27:46 AM
TheGreatCheeze posted...
hans1111 posted...

I7
GTX 680

Yeah, well, that single card is like 90% of the budget I had in mind. Sounds like some good ol' fashioned over kill to me. If I could spare the expense I wouldn't hesitate, though.

Wait, so your budget is ~$500?

Good luck, man.
---
IMO