This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gist of the story?

#1Louisville15Posted 3/19/2013 5:59:36 PM
I know, lol at the story in an MMO, but I'm just looking for the basic background info of who is who, who hates who, etc. Everything I search for online seems to be rich with details, to the point I get lost just trying to understand the basic backstory. Any help?
---
i7 930 @ 3.6 | EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature 2 | EVGA E758 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Windows 8 | OCZ ZX1250 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | 240GB Mushkin Chronos | AW2310
#2ElaeusPosted 3/19/2013 6:01:17 PM
www.wowpedia.org
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#3XtraTPosted 3/19/2013 6:19:04 PM
bad guys from different races came, we killed them for purps, giving us major AFK epeen while sitting in major cities
---
Grand Marshal/Gladiator Priest, Lightplol.
PvE gladiator holy paladin, Lightp.
#4centeralmewPosted 3/19/2013 6:26:17 PM
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/the-story-of-warcraft/chapter1
These should give you a basic understanding of the story.
---
As I have begun so I will go on. (Aragorn, Return of the king)
#5DawnshadowPosted 3/19/2013 6:47:54 PM(edited)
The story is VERY long, but... in a very abridged nutshell...

A long time ago, there were humans. The humans lived relatively peaceful lives (civil wars and fights with the ever-present trolls aside.) They lived exclusively in the Eastern Kingdoms; other lands were no more than myth. Around 30 or 40 years ago, a Dark Portal opened and orcs from another world (Draenor or the Outlands) came pouring through. This happened twice-- the second time the humans and their allies, the dwarves and the gnomes) pressed through the portal and made an incursion on the other side before closing it permanently, leaving some orcs stranded on Azeroth. They were rounded up by the humans and largely placed in prison camps. Ever since, humans and orcs have hated each other, which was only been made worse by an orc murdering the current human king's father before his eyes.

Around a decade ago, Azeroth was attacked by the demons who had been influencing the orcs all along-- it turns out they really weren't monsters. One orc in particular, called Thrall, was raised by humans and much less influenced by the demons than the others; he led a group of them across the sea to Kalimdor, where they befriended the Darkspear trolls and the tauren (most of the troll tribes, like the Zandalari, didn't join Thrall) and become solid allies. Eventually Thrall and his allies-- who would become the Horde-- allied with the reclusive night elves and Jaina Proudmoore's human followers to keep the demons from taking the night elves' World Tree, which would have been Bad.

Meanwhile, the high elves' city was sacked by a demon-influenced undead army led by Arthas, who had once been a prince and paladin. The humans to their south refused to go to their aid, and later condemned them for allying with the naga in desperation. In memory of the fallen, most of the survivors renamed themselves as blood elves; this is why blood elves are a part of the Horde.

Lately, Thrall left his position as Warchief of the Horde because he's a powerful shaman and the world was starting to literally break apart because the former Aspect of Earth had literally broken it apart after escaping his prison inside it. He needed to repair the world. The current warchief is the hot-headed Garrosh Hellscream, who wants nothing more than to wipe anyone who opposes him from the face of Azeroth (including, if needed, other members of the Horde.) However, the Horde and Alliance have been through several conflicts, and were low on resources. Upon finding a land shrouded in mist, they both rushed to claim it, which is the root of the current expansion.

If you have questions about any race in particular I can answer them.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#6Louisville15(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 3:29:23 AM
Wow, thanks a lot! Just what I was looking for! Where do each of the expansions fit into the story?
---
i7 930 @ 3.6 | EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature 2 | EVGA E758 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Windows 8 | OCZ ZX1250 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | 240GB Mushkin Chronos | AW2310
#7HakPosted 3/20/2013 3:42:40 AM
The expansions are kinda odd now, since Burning Crusade and Lich King technically having you go back in time. Essentially, BC was a trip to the original orc homeworld to kill an insane Night Elf/Demon hybrid who was holed up in a big temple hiding from a powerful megademon. The story there is kinda sketchy, since said Elf/Demon wasn't really bothering anyone much, unlike his 2 generals who were causing some problems, though storywise we didn't really have many reasons to be there.

The Lich King expansion is set a few years later, when Arthas was preparing an army to... well, not do very much really. They were stuck in Northrend, and he didn't have the logistical support (or mindset, since his mind was at war with itself) to move them into the main continents. So we merry adventurers did what adventurers do... we raided someone else's sovereign domain, killed as many of their minions as they could and stole all their gear, before finally killing Arthas and nicking all his gear too.

Since Cataclysm is set after the Lich King events, and the world you level up through is the one that's affected by the Cataclysm, the time travelling aspect exists, though Blizzard don't address it at all - essentially, you get on a boat/airship and go to a continent. Said boat/airship also conveniently takes you a decade or so into the past, which is handy.

Pandaria is a little more honest about this - it's stated that the Alliance/Horde war is what causes a lot of the problems on Pandaria, a place that was discovered by accident. As is common with these things, the fact it was found by accident doesn't matter - both sides decide to escalate their war over who owns the land, without any regard for the current inhabitants and their claim on the land and resources.

So basically, all the expansions so far involve invading a continent we have no particular reason to go to, killing people who generally were keeping out of our business, and stealing their items. Once you get past that, everything else is just gravy.
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#8Louisville15(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 4:43:31 AM
Why did Thrall betray the alliance?
---
#9vahndragonwingPosted 3/20/2013 4:44:59 AM
Louisville15 posted...

Because of him.. not.. doing that?
---
IMO
#10Louisville15(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 5:05:14 AM
vahndragonwing posted...
Louisville15 posted...

Because of him.. not.. doing that?

Did I misunderstand the "raised by the alliance"?
---