This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gist of the story?

#11vahndragonwingPosted 3/20/2013 6:10:29 AM(edited)
Louisville15 posted...
vahndragonwing posted...
Louisville15 posted...
Why did Thrall betray the alliance?

Because of him.. not.. doing that?

Did I misunderstand the "raised by the alliance"?

Yeah.

Raised by alliance, as a slave, forced to muder other orcs and other fighters and be trained from infancy as a gladiator, not paid, kept in a cell, etc etc

Remember, all the orcs were rounded up and placed in prison camps at that point, thrall included. Thrall is the one who escapes and frees the other orcs.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Thrall
---
IMO
#12Louisville15(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 6:23:06 AM
Gotcha.

Who are these demons that were influencing the orcs to begin with? How were they doing that?

Also, why do the other, non orcs (such as the Tauren) hate the alliance too?
---
i7 930 @ 3.6 | EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature 2 | EVGA E758 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Windows 8 | OCZ ZX1250 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | 240GB Mushkin Chronos | AW2310
#13vahndragonwingPosted 3/20/2013 6:30:23 AM
Louisville15 posted...
Gotcha.

Who are these demons that were influencing the orcs to begin with? How were they doing that?

Also, why do the other, non orcs (such as the Tauren) hate the alliance too?

The tauren are a part of the horde. It's pretty black and white as far as that goes, for the most part. Most of the time you can assume it's alliance v. horde, there are some exceptions but you don't need to be overwhelmed and at this point (current) in the story, a lot of them are tenuous at best.

As for the demons controlling the orcs, see:

http://www.wowpedia.org/The_Burning_Legion

And for the burning legions story and some backstory on how they came to be, you can check out:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Sargeras

Another good allaround lore spot would definitely be from:

http://wow.joystiq.com/category/know-your-lore/

I would skim over those first 2 links to answer your question, and then skim around the different articles on that third site. If you have any more questions and don't mind me providing links to theminstead of copy+pasting or coming up with my own synopsis, I'm more than happy to provide you the answers.
---
IMO
#14Louisville15(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 6:44:23 AM
Thanks, ill check those out! Why do the other members of the horde have a problem with the alliance though? I understand the orcs were under control, invaded, and then enslaved, but what made the other horde races join their side?
---
i7 930 @ 3.6 | EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature 2 | EVGA E758 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Windows 8 | OCZ ZX1250 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | 240GB Mushkin Chronos | AW2310
#15vahndragonwingPosted 3/20/2013 6:55:25 AM
Louisville15 posted...
Thanks, ill check those out! Why do the other members of the horde have a problem with the alliance though? I understand the orcs were under control, invaded, and then enslaved, but what made the other horde races join their side?

Well, the Trolls have been fighting the humans (and by proxy the alliance) for some time now. The darkspear are from Durotar iirc, and the orcs saved their tribe from the Kul Tiras military and gave them a home.

The Blood Elves WERE part of the alliance, until a racist commander sent them on a couple suicide missions, then when they (BE) accepted help from the naga to prevent being wiped out, they were branded as traitors by the same commander.

The tauren are the best example of being against the alliance simply because they're part of the horde, iirc. They inhabited kalimdor, which was where the orcs were told to go at the beginning of WC3 to avoid being wiped out by arthas and the scourge. The tauren befriended thrall because when they met, Cairne and some others were being attacked by some centaurs, i believe, and thrall helped them out, causing them to become friends. I honestly can't remember if they had previous beef with the night elves.

The forsaken is more of a partnership of convenience, they are typically a fairly shady bunch. They obviously can't be part of the alliance, what with most of them being zombies of former alliance.

The goblins join up with the horde because in the goblin starting zone, as they're trying to escape the island, they're attacked by alliance ships and saved by the horde.

I think that about covers the basics of that question :P
---
IMO
#16XtraTPosted 3/20/2013 7:03:31 AM
Taurens help them because they literally would be extinct without the orcs' help. Same with the Darkspear trolls tribe. Both the Taurens and the Trolls were there to start Durotar (the horde's capital city)and the Horde itself as a nation.

The Forsaken are just there, they usually don't have much to do story wise except for Sylvannas and a treason during the Lich King's arc
---
Grand Marshal/Gladiator Priest, Lightplol.
PvE gladiator holy paladin, Lightp.
#17HakPosted 3/20/2013 7:03:32 AM
I think the Tauren's only real prior beef with the Nelves were over who the first druids were. Other than that, Tauren are basically like the Inuit - living off the land, taking only what they need, not really looking for open conflict with others, but being drawn into things by powers outwith their control (oil drilling in Alaska is going to really screw those Inuits up).
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#18Louisville15(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 7:18:52 AM
Thanks a ton you guys, this is really helping. It's overwhelming to start a game this late, let alone one with this much story. One last question, can you give a list of who is on who's side? Like I know the humans are alliance, and the orcs and taurens are horde, but what about the others?
---
#19vahndragonwingPosted 3/20/2013 7:23:29 AM(edited)
Louisville15 posted...
Thanks a ton you guys, this is really helping. It's overwhelming to start a game this late, let alone one with this much story. One last question, can you give a list of who is on who's side? Like I know the humans are alliance, and the orcs and taurens are horde, but what about the others?

Well the ones I listed in the last post are the horde, the alliance are

Human
Night elf
Worgen
Dwarf
Gnome
Draenei

Then pandaren of course are on both sides. There are a lot of subfactions and neutral races, but those are the horde and alliance races.
---
IMO
#20Louisville15(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 9:14:52 AM(edited)
Cool. After reading over some stuff for a bit, where does Deathwing fit into all of this? Is he just obeying orders of the new Horde general? Also, does everyone hate the Naga?
---