This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any experienced shaman resto pve players around here ? need help

#1raphansedPosted 3/20/2013 12:08:31 AM
I'm new to shaman healing , gearing up on LFR atm.

Should I use chain healing only if my target has riptide up ?
a lot of times the entire raid is taking damage and I have no idea if I should start casting riptide>chain heal>riptide>chain heal or if I should just spam chain heal.

riptide uses a global cooldown and makes me feel real slow if I try to cast it always before a chain heal, sometimes the person gets healed even before I finish my chain heal cast.
I really need help on how to use my riptide.
#2metroidfreakv4Posted 3/20/2013 12:13:25 AM
raphansed posted...
I'm new to shaman healing , gearing up on LFR atm.

Should I use chain healing only if my target has riptide up ?
a lot of times the entire raid is taking damage and I have no idea if I should start casting riptide>chain heal>riptide>chain heal or if I should just spam chain heal.

riptide uses a global cooldown and makes me feel real slow if I try to cast it always before a chain heal, sometimes the person gets healed even before I finish my chain heal cast.
I really need help on how to use my riptide.

During AoE, Cast Healing rain pre damage. that way you dont have to cast it again.
Chain heal gives you Tidal waves buff, there is no need to cast in inbetween chain heals. Unleashed elements Should be used on CD. if it matches with Healing rain use it then, if not chain heal. If you see someone in particular getting low, instead use UE on them with a greater healing wave, it should get them to full, easily.

Also, to make yourself boss, use all your CDs effectively. Try not to have them overlap other healers cds. this is a lot harder in LFR so just watch health bars. If they are all getting low, pop a healing tide. If there is going to be a lot of damage going on (elegon final phase, for example) this is the perfect time for a spirit link totem, it will take 10% of the damage out or something like that, and it makes you look like a champ on the charts because everyone is taking the same amount of damage. its hard to explain it just kinda bottoms out the damage between the raid.
---
WotLK ending cinematic: Arthas:Father.....is this over?....
Father:no my son....the raid resets next week.. Who noticed I fixed the Typos? only took 4 years :)
#3Wookie_Is_BackPosted 3/20/2013 12:14:12 AM
http://icy-veins.com/restoration-shaman-wow-pve-healing-rotation-cooldowns-abilities

*Low to moderate damage (raid or tank)

Keep Riptide Icon Riptide up on as many players as possible (including the tank).
It provides you with the Tidal Waves Icon Tidal Waves buff and does significant healing over time.
Make extensive use of Healing Wave Icon Healing Wave to heal without spending much mana.

*Moderate to high tank or single-target damage

Keep Riptide Icon Riptide up on as many players as possible (including the tank).
Use both Healing Wave Icon Healing Wave and Greater Healing Wave Icon Greater Healing Wave; the higher the damage, the more you will use Greater Healing Wave.

*Moderate to high raid damage

Use Healing Stream Totem Icon Healing Stream Totem on cooldown (i.e., every 30 seconds). For 15 seconds, it will heal the most injured nearby players within 40 yards every 2 seconds.
Start using Chain Heal Icon Chain Heal.
Chain Heal should preferentially be used on targets with an active Riptide Icon Riptide, as this causes Chain Heal to be 25% more efficient.
If there is no player with an active Riptide Icon Riptide, then you can cast Chain Heal anyway or do surgical heals with Greater Healing Wave Icon Greater Healing Wave or Healing Wave Icon Healing Wave.

*High sustained tank or single-target damage

Make extensive use of Greater Healing Wave Icon Greater Healing Wave.
Forsake Healing Wave Icon Healing Wave, as its low throughput will cause you to fall behind in healing.

*High sustained raid damage

Use Healing Stream Totem Icon Healing Stream Totem on cooldown.
Keep Healing Rain Icon Healing Rain up.
Make extensive use of Chain Heal Icon Chain Heal.
Prefer casting Chain Heal on players with Riptide Icon Riptide active, for increased effect.
#4metroidfreakv4Posted 3/20/2013 12:16:56 AM
In all honesty, I don't feel riptide does enough in High damage AoE to be doing that. Keep it on the tanks like always and the derps, but dont stress over it. Healing rain, Healing stream, and Chain heal are gonna be your back bone
---
Father:no my son....the raid resets next week.. Who noticed I fixed the Typos? only took 4 years :)
#5raphansed(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 12:30:57 AM

Use Healing Stream Totem on cooldown (i.e., every 30 seconds). For 15 seconds, it will heal the most injured nearby players within 40 yards every 2 seconds.
Start using Chain Heal
Chain Heal should preferentially be used on targets with an active Riptide Icon Riptide, as this causes Chain Heal to be 25% more efficient.
If there is no player with an active Riptide , then you can cast Chain Heal anyway or do surgical heals with Greater Healing Wave or Healing Wave I.

Keep Riptide up on as many players as possible ? thats really confusing to me.
Is that when I know people are going to take damage so I cast it before? "keep riptide up" sounds like I should keep casting it on people , but I if people are taking heavy damage I can't give it priority over other instant healing spells.
#6raphansed(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 12:32:23 AM
metroidfreakv4 posted...
In all honesty, I don't feel riptide does enough in High damage AoE to be doing that. Keep it on the tanks like always and the derps, but dont stress over it. Healing rain, Healing stream, and Chain heal are gonna be your back bone

I'll try that.
#7metroidfreakv4Posted 3/20/2013 12:33:34 AM
raphansed posted...

Use Healing Stream Totem on cooldown (i.e., every 30 seconds). For 15 seconds, it will heal the most injured nearby players within 40 yards every 2 seconds.
Start using Chain Heal
If there is no player with an active Riptide , then you can cast Chain Heal anyway or do surgical heals with Greater Healing Wave or Healing Wave I.

Keep Riptide up on as many players as possible ? thats really confusing to me.
Is that when I know people are going to take damage so I cast it before? "keep riptide up" sounds like I should keep casting it on people , but I if people are taking heavy damage I can't give it priority over other instant healing spells.

Thats why It sounds good on paper, but in reality it isn't. I am always complimented on my healing and thats what I do. Take from that what you will. 3/12 ToT 487 restoration full clear norm last tier and heroic Guardians. I dont do heroics often though, period. Even last tier of cata, I was geared to the brim and topped dps meters on my hunter, I just never care enough to do hardmodes.
---
#8raphansed(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 10:30:14 PM
any more opiions on this ?
#9AssultTankPosted 3/20/2013 11:11:41 PM(edited)
I personally try to get my chain heal off on the target with Earth Shield AND Riptide when I can.

Basically, I pop riptide on anyone taking low-moderate amounts of damage, anyone I might chain heal off soon, and the tanks at all times.
If I know someone is going to take damage, I riptide them up as well.

Healing Rain I tend to keep up on CD, but I overheal a lot with it. However, I'm not running oom so I figure it's fine.

But what I tend to do is a Riptide -> Riptide -> Riptide -> AoE Starts -> Chain Heal -> Chain Heal -> Chain Heal type thing.

But like metroid said, healing rain, chain heal, and healing stream are going to do better in AoE heal situations than anything else. If you can spare a GCD to pump up your chain heals with riptide, Great! Otherwise, just heal low health targets.

Also remember, try to only cast Chain Heal when you're going to get at least 2 jumps. Otherwise you're probably better off with two Healing Waves.
---
http://wh.gov/RI5h Petition to declare Westboro Baptist Church a hate group.
John 6:53 Jesus promoting cannibalism.