This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else attracted to tanking/healing?

#21thebladeofwoePosted 3/22/2013 6:15:32 PM
I have a warrior who's main spec is dps.

i decided to try tanking, i love it. such good fun.

and i have a resto shaman as well, which i have great fun in playing (only in BG's and dungeons) there PvE is a bit meh, thats why i level as ele for moar power!!.
---
If the original KotOR and World of Warcraft had an abortion it would look something like this. mikejolik on SWTOR
#22EDarienPosted 3/22/2013 6:51:50 PM
Yeah. Like a lot of players, I started as DPS myself. Warlock was my main for the longest time. Then one day I just decided to try tanking because, as noted, some tanks are just horrible. At first the responsibility was a bit jarring, but definitely worth it. I think the role(s) you're good are somewhat instinctual, though. Some people just won't be good at certain roles.

For instance I did decide to try healing, too. And I'm not bad, I guess. For 5-mans/leveling, etc. But I don't ever think I'd make it as a raid healer. If I put in the time, I could probably raid tank, though. I think personality has a bit to do with it.

That said, like another poster pointed out, ranged DPS is still the most fun sometimes. I still love my Warlock. If only they'd let us tank finally, haha. That'd be the best of both worlds for me, personally.

As for Mr. "I have a lyfe" ... um, sure. You have so much of a life that you come to a message board and put people down about having the spare time to play a game, that you yourself play, in a different way than you do. That's funny stuff. Not to mention "learn tanking" as if it's some time-consuming task. You just roll a new character, pick the tank spec at level 10 and the class skill progression mixed with running the leveling 5-mans helps you get your "rotation" and CD usage down by the time you get to endgame. Not rocket surgery, bro.

I don't know what it is, but I've just been noticing the negative "I'm better than you" people a lot more lately. If it's not "I'm better than you cause I'm better at the game" it's the "I'm better than you because I have a real life instead of playing the game I enjoy" people. Or, more-so on other boards, but noticed here too a little bit, the "y u so srs? lol I troll u" people.

Anyway, /rant. My bad. But yeah, tanking can be a lot of fun and I, for one, don't think it's much harder than DPS. That said, I can see it not being for everyone.

Oh yeah, before I forget, TC, awesome sig. Huey is the man, haha.
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14
#23bravo1Posted 3/22/2013 9:21:43 PM
I can only tank. Can't really get into DPS or heals, dunno why. I guess it has something to do with I only started playing because my friends needed a tank for their raid group and I was mildly curious about the game. I never understood why people make such a big fuss about the intimidation and responsibility for tanking. Leveling content, tanking is an absolute joke. You pretty much have to try to wipe a group, and even then you'll find it difficult. The only rough time for tanking was early Cata heroics. Then you were expected to know the instance like the back of your hand, and groups could be really awful. That tier of raiding, for regular modes atleast, wasn't that bad though. The only mildly annoying fights were Cho'Gal cause you had to move and Maloriak if you were a DK put on add kiting.

Hell, I switched to monk tanking because all the other tanks were too easy/simple. I'm not saying I'm a world-class tank or anything of the sort, but just that tanking really isn't all that stressful of a thing. Know your class, pop cooldowns when something scary hits, move out-of-the-bad. Most of the truly annoying mechanics never even target the tank. Infact I've always said the hardest raid mechanic for a main tank was your off tank, and it's true. A good off-tank is the difference between four hours of wiping and actual progression.
#24GhostfeetPosted 3/22/2013 9:30:14 PM
I love tanking, I primarily play dps, both melee and ranged. I've yet to try healing of any sort as of yet, though I am curious to check it out.
---
"I drink and I smash because I love." ~ Rocko
XBL GT: DisposableDuck
#25InfestedAdamPosted 3/23/2013 2:08:17 AM
Not just this game but in all games I usually go with a healer/support role. I get more satisfaction and fun keeping allies alive than killing things.

I recall one time in a low level battleground I managed to get a heal crit on an ally who was at less than 20% HP. Not only did I saved an ally with him yelling out "thank you" but I got the nice satisfaction knowing that I denied a kill from two opposing players.
---
"You must gather your party before venturing forth"
"Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!"
#26Mark BellhornPosted 3/23/2013 8:18:21 AM
I recall one time in a low level battleground I managed to get a heal crit on an ally who was at less than 20% HP. Not only did I saved an ally with him yelling out "thank you" but I got the nice satisfaction knowing that I denied a kill from two opposing players.

man, i got a story kinda like this. i was at the isle of conquest one day and the horde had us pretty much cornered -- they were camping our graveyard.
i threw down a power word: barrier, hit divine hymn, and we managed to fight them off. we actually even won that round.
not taking credit or anything like that. naw.
#27InfestedAdamPosted 3/25/2013 11:44:32 AM
Mark Bellhorn posted...
man, i got a story kinda like this. i was at the isle of conquest one day and the horde had us pretty much cornered -- they were camping our graveyard.
i threw down a power word: barrier, hit divine hymn, and we managed to fight them off. we actually even won that round.
not taking credit or anything like that. naw.

And it is things like this that makes healing enjoyable for me in battlegrounds. Forget kill count or damage/healing done, sometime giving your teammates the chance to fight back is where it counts. Same thing as fellow teammates giving you the chance to heal by keeping enemies off your back.

Kill count or damage/healing done means nothing in my opinon. Someone who's hanging back and defending might get no kills at all but if that person can keep something from being ninjaed while the rest of the team focus on keeping pressure on the enemy I'll have consider that person having filled an important role as well.
---
"You must gather your party before venturing forth"
"Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!"
#28gelbotPosted 3/25/2013 12:34:28 PM
I love both tanking and healing as long as I'm paired with a healer/ tank (whichever I'm not at the moment) I know.

In groups with strangers, I prefer DPS.
---
That twisting sound you hear is the sound of dedicated Drakan fans trying to wring every last drop of gaming goodness from D:TAG.- TreeWolf