This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Elder Scrolls -Online-(MMO) is comming... and WOW will dies :)

#41Devil_wings00Posted 3/20/2013 6:36:31 PM(edited)
Nothing will kill WoW but WoW. Also there has been much better games graphically then WoW that have failed so I kind of don't get the point of showing pretty pictures as a sign that THIS game will bring about it's end. How many times have we seen "some game will kill WoW!!" and 6 months later it's either forgotten or free to play ;p Look I'm not a fan of WoW anymore (used to play back in the BC days) but come on nothing is going to topple that giant except another blizzard MMO or bad in game decisions from blizz that drive the player base away.

Remember when guild wars 2 would be the end of WoW forever? Ya they released another expansion around the same time and player number went up about 900,000. So the WoW player base isn't affected much, if at all, by the release of other MMO's. No other MMO release has drastically affected WoW's numbers to date and doubt the release of this will either.

Well now I can sit back and wait for the inevitable "WoW sub numbers are fake, this game WILL be the end" replies...
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).
#42TheSpectrePosted 3/20/2013 6:56:21 PM
WoW has survived so much, this is more of a joke/meme than anything else now. WoW has established itself in gaming history and has nothing left to prove. I'm not even a WoW fan anymore, but I invested a LOT of time in the game and had some of the best gaming moments of my life there and met some great friends as well. However, my time playing has passed and while I believe it will inevitably be dethroned, I dont see it as a major achievement if that happens. It would say more that it took this many years if it happened.
---
http://picard.ytmnd.com/
#43MarikhenPosted 3/20/2013 7:06:29 PM
jeese when i have herd this before,...... oh thats right with every mmo that has come out since wow

You mean MMOs like Perfect World International, Forsaken World, Allods Online, Aika Online, Shin Megami Tensei Imagine, Hellgate: Global (hey, at least Hanbitsoft, oops, I mean ******soft, thinks it's one), Neo Steam, Pandora Saga, Hello Kitty Online, RaiderZ, Rusty Hearts, Wizardry Online, Atlantica, Requiem, Rappelz, Vindictus, Fiesta, Entropia Universe, Perpetuum, MechWarrior Online, C9, Mythos, Hawken, and a whole host of other F2P and little-known P2P MMOs that I've rarely ever seen mentioned on the same page much less the same post or same sentence as World of Warcraft?

The list of Wow "topplers" is about as big as the list of Fox's failed shows....and trust me both are very big lists.

Both Online FF games

How can Final Fantasy XI be considered a "wow toppler," or at least a list of them, when it was released over a year before World of Warcraft?
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#44Ghengi5Tr0nPosted 3/20/2013 7:34:54 PM
I really like the Elder Scrolls lore. I know it won't kill WoW but I'm hoping it will give WoW competition.
---
"Walk through the flames with me until I'm free and from life departed piss on my dead skin, you broken hearted"
#45SoeroahPosted 3/20/2013 7:41:52 PM
Marikhen posted...
jeese when i have herd this before,...... oh thats right with every mmo that has come out since wow

You mean MMOs like Perfect World International, Forsaken World, Allods Online, Aika Online, Shin Megami Tensei Imagine, Hellgate: Global (hey, at least Hanbitsoft, oops, I mean ******soft, thinks it's one), Neo Steam, Pandora Saga, Hello Kitty Online, RaiderZ, Rusty Hearts, Wizardry Online, Atlantica, Requiem, Rappelz, Vindictus, Fiesta, Entropia Universe, Perpetuum, MechWarrior Online, C9, Mythos, Hawken, and a whole host of other F2P and little-known P2P MMOs that I've rarely ever seen mentioned on the same page much less the same post or same sentence as World of Warcraft?

The list of Wow "topplers" is about as big as the list of Fox's failed shows....and trust me both are very big lists.

Both Online FF games

How can Final Fantasy XI be considered a "wow toppler," or at least a list of them, when it was released over a year before World of Warcraft?

Logic doesn't enter into the 'X will kill WoW' thing.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#46failure_turtlePosted 3/20/2013 7:56:31 PM
At this point no game can kill wow just by virtue of the fact that people have put in more than 6 years into this game, even the wrathbabies have been around for more than 3 years at this point.
No one wants to ditch that much effort.
---
Be yonce.
#47thronedfire2Posted 3/20/2013 8:03:30 PM(edited)
Not being an MMO with raiding content like WoW is exactly why TES:Online could be successful. A multiplayer version of Skyrim, where everyone's actions affects how all the NPCs react would be amazing. The multiplayer would only go so far as grouping. If you want to be an outlaw in single player that can be pretty hard without cheating to get around certain restrictions. If you have a bunch of outlaw friends in the online version you could scare a town like Riverwood or Whiterun so much that they'd actually be friendly to you just to keep themselves from being destroyed.

But at the same time, if enough people are being good citizens those towns could be reinforced, and become hostile to you. So it would be a back and forth for control of neutral towns that offer things other towns don't. Obviously there would have to be at least one town that goes with your alliance no matter what, but in a TES world there's pretty much infinite possibility for neutral towns and cities.
---
I could see you, but I couldn't hear you You were holding your hat in the breeze Turning away from me In this moment you were stolen...
#48EDarienPosted 3/20/2013 8:01:33 PM
I didn't read all 5 pages, but I'll throw my 2 cents in here.

Elder Scrolls MMO looks ok, but "WoW-killer" it's not. If nothing else, I think people are getting tired of the same old thing in MMOs period. I for one am tired of the "medieval fantasy" MMOs. I was -very- excited for SWTOR. It ended up being a steaming pile, but it was at least a change of scenery, if nothing else, for a little while.

My main problem with an ES MMO is that they chose ES instead of Fallout. I think Fallout has been begging for an MMO spin-off, where-as ES might have been in some ways, but it's "niche" has already been filled over and over again. We have LoTR, we have various super-heroes MMOs, Age of Conan, D&D Online, WoW, Warhammer ... Enough of swords, orcs and magic. We get it. It's fun. But a vast majority of people who are over the age of 6 (I ran into a 9 yr old and 11 yr old players today, btw, while leveling my new Trial Warlock) and will ever play an MMO, already has a WoW main and likely several alts. We have invested time, money, nostalgia and sentiment into our characters, guilds and factions. Nobody is going to specifically leave WoW to play another MMO for more than 4 months. And I feel I'm being generous with the 4 months thing.

It's not that I think the game will be bad. On the contrary, I think it's likely to be a solid game in itself, with possibly some "innovative" features which are likely to be carried over from the single-player versions of ES into their MMO world. These features, much like transmog, mass-looting, pet battles and other features, were eventually implemented into WoW, so too will WoW "steal" whatever nice, pretty, quality-of-life features that ES Online will introduce and simply become a better game for it. ES Online, however, will "boom" for a few months (although still nowhere near the numbers WoW has) and then, like all the others, limp along and eventually die.

I have learned, over the years, that the best thing that comes out of a new MMO hitting the market, is that WoW will copy its unique features into itself, assimilate it like the Borg, and continue moving along as if nothing ever happened. This isn't a bad thing because we all much prefer our WoW characters to whatever "fun at the time" characters we've made in other games, but there's a reason we're all here ... because we always come back. The only way to leave WoW, I've seen, is to leave MMO gaming all together.

So that's my take on all of this. Frankly, Bethesda should've just done the Fallout thing. At least it would've been unique. Despite the history of Elder Scrolls, another sword and sorcery MMO is just that, just another one on the pile.
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14
#49BortacusPosted 3/20/2013 8:02:51 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#50ryanell666Posted 3/20/2013 8:23:52 PM
I always laugh at "WoW-killer" topics,

I mean first they assume WoW is the king of the MMORPGs; but those that think that can't seem to realize that WoW stopped being an MMORPG a loooooong time ago.

At this point who really cares what kills WoW, WoW walked away from that throne and started heading toward the realm of CoD and FarmVille type games.

So be it!