This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Elder Scrolls -Online-(MMO) is comming... and WOW will dies :)

#61WaffIeElitePosted 3/23/2013 11:23:56 AM
USACrippler posted...
My former WoW friends are huge on Skyrim, so they really want ESO to be great but even they don't have high expectations. I'll give it a chance just to play an MMO with them again though.

Pretty much this. All the investors/executives are trying for that piece of the MMO pie, and are going to get it rushed out for the holidays, way before it's ready. Then we'll see it flop, like so many others.
#62flairePosted 3/23/2013 1:13:30 PM
SythisTaru posted...
Lol, WoW has been dead for 2-3 years now.

Your critical thinking skills fail on an epic level buddy. Epic.
---
So many games......So little time.......
#63ljgfPosted 3/23/2013 2:54:03 PM
Will this be F2P?

They haven't announced how the pricing will work yet.
#64MorgasaurusPosted 3/23/2013 3:41:49 PM
WoW doesn't have any Farmville elements at all. I notice a significant lack of annoying popup windows for other Blizzard games while farming.

WoW defined a new era of MMORPGs. When I talk about MMOs now I use two terms: pre-WoW and post-WoW because that's exactly what happened. Pre-WoW MMORPGs such as Everquest, FFXI, UO, SWG, etc. were really great because having annoying grindy elements in MMOs was "the thing" before WoW. Now annoying grindy elements are revealed to be, well, annoying and grindy because an MMO came out that got rid of most of them at release and gradually got rid of more and more as time went on. WoW is also unique in that the focus is on end-game content.

Everquest was probably the best of the pre-WoW MMOs and actually possessed significant end-game content (which I never got to see because it takes an astronomical era to get to the maximum level and be good enough to participate in the content.) The only gripe I had with them is that you basically had to pay for every single content patch in addition to the monthly fee. Blizzard only makes us pay for the really really big ones.

The only true WoW-killer is time. In 2004 questing was an amazing and innovative way to go from level 1 to 60. Nobody minded doing it because in previous MMOs you had to basically "camp and pull" or run around and grind on mobs to level up. In WoW you could just do quests! Lots and lots of quests. 8.5 years later, despite a complete revamp of the original questing content, older players are just tired of doing quests because it has been around so long. The end-game content is similar. Raiding in 2004 was a fresh thing. Over the years Blizzard has made the raid encounters more and more interesting, but over time you run out of things that you have not already done. Tsulong day phase? Valithria Dreamwalker. Council encounter in ToT? Blood Princes 2.0.

Time is not even really a WoW killer. Players come and go. The less players there are, the less that go in a given period of time. Meanwhile new content means new players and returning old players. A period of decay in the player-base is expected after a game has been out for a long time. Blizzard really should implement cross-realm guilds and AHs or something else so that low population realms are not killed in the meantime. Besides a grand unified theory of cross realms would be more elegant than what we have now.

I expect the decay to subside after some time and the population will stabilize again.
---
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? ..."
- Matthew 16:26
#65LaManoNeraIIPosted 3/23/2013 5:24:42 PM
No way ESO is making a 2013 release. A delay is inevitable, a long with all the rage it will cause.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#66EDarienPosted 3/23/2013 7:05:37 PM
LaManoNeraII posted...
No way ESO is making a 2013 release. A delay is inevitable, a long with all the rage it will cause.

I hate to say it, but I really hope it does happen, if only for its own sake as someone else said about rushing for Christmas releases. I mean ... look at SWTOR *shudder*

That said, I wish no ill-will to the game. I just don't have high hopes. I MUCH would prefer a Fallout Online before Elder Scrolls. If nothing else for the novelty of it. That said, if as another poster mentioned that it's designed to be more like the single-player but with the ability to party with friends, then that could be awesome ... but again would likely be better with Fallout IP opposed to ES.
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14
#67DtweakPosted 3/24/2013 12:48:24 AM
LaManoNeraII posted...

I doubt there will be a delay. The games been in development for five years and is lead by MMO veterans. Almost every mmo delay is painfully obvious because recent coverage is pretty much non-existent.

"Hands on" opinions have been great and the game is about to hit closed beta. A lot of people forget that so many of these games are low budget while this one isn't.
#68s_dubsPosted 3/24/2013 4:45:32 AM
WoW kills itself with every expansion, at least for me. BC came out, got to cap, got bored, unsubbed. WotLK came out, i came back. Got to cap, got bored, you guessed it. Cata. Same thing. MoP, yup already bored with it. It's just old and stale now.
---
FFXI: Zzir Mithra DNC90 PLD90, Odin Server
#69EDarienPosted 3/24/2013 6:08:29 AM
Dtweak posted...

"Hands on" opinions have been great and the game is about to hit closed beta. A lot of people forget that so many of these games are low budget while this one isn't.

Most might be "low budget", though I'm not sure what's considered high or low, nor did I look myself at the budgets of MMOs over the years. However, FF IV is being launched twice, so that can't be cheap. FFXI was pretty big at the time, though as was pointed out it was pre-WoW. And of course SWTOR had the biggest budget I've ever seen on a game and ... well, we all know what happened there.

Budget alone isn't really enough to figure just how big or successful a game's going to be.

If they stick to that single-player type gameplay of ES that everyone loves, just throwing in the social aspects of an MMO so you can play with your friends, then I think it'll be pretty popular. But if they go for the full MMO experience, as it's already done by WoW, then it'll just tank as another WoW clone. SWTOR got a lot of good reviews, too. Though, it was early on said to be WoW with lightsabers. And that wasn't a bad thing; that's what a lot of people wanted. But they had other issues in their gameplay, design, etc. that lead to their downfall.

s_dubs posted...
WoW kills itself with every expansion, at least for me. BC came out, got to cap, got bored, unsubbed. WotLK came out, i came back. Got to cap, got bored, you guessed it. Cata. Same thing. MoP, yup already bored with it. It's just old and stale now.

How long, in terms of how many months of subscription, do you think you put into each expansion? Also, were you subbed all of Vanilla? Or did you cap and quit then, too?

The reason I ask is because if enough people do what you do, for enough months each time, it's still a pretty big profit for them when you consider just how ridiculously high the sub fee is compared to "server costs" which was the original, main reason for charging a sub fee.
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14
#70s_dubsPosted 3/24/2013 6:18:17 AM
Giving Blizzard my money doesn't factor into the equation at all lol. I just get bored and quit with each expansion. It's simple as that. And i got right to 60 just as BC was coming out.
---
FFXI: Zzir Mithra DNC90 PLD90, Odin Server