This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why has my Shaman fallen so far?

#1Viper114Posted 3/20/2013 9:01:43 PM
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/thrall/Pharaa/advanced

Pre-5.2, I was doing decently for healing, able to keep up with the rest of them easily enough and sometimes able to surpass. I figured I was in a good spot. But now with 5.2, I'm starting to find myself unable to keep up with the others now. I'm getting destroyed by a Druid and Paladin, them able to do like 50K HPS consistently where I am down below with below 30K. And this is still when I'm doing things like Healing Rain when grouped up, Healing Tide and more.

My mana regen isn't that much of a problem, not when I have these trinkets shooting things up to insane amounts. The only positive I have is that I seem to be regenerating mana much better than the others, but that still doesn't make sense why my overall healing is so much worse. The last Recount on the Council fight in ToT shows the Paladin at 71K HPS, the Druid at 61K HPS and myself at a measly 36K HPS. Granted, they're both at 504 iLvl while I'm stil 497 since they had time to upgrade items to 497 or 504, but my stats are on par with theirs, Spirit, Intellect, Mana Regen, Combat Regen, Spell Power and such, so it's not like I'm trailing behind that way.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm finding myself getting cut off before my heals can go out. Maybe they're using addons that react faster than my reflexes do, but when I try to get a HW or GHW out to a target, he gets healed to max a split second before mine finishes. I can't be sure, though...
---
"We are all legends...our only choice is how to end the tale."
#2GENERALJA0Posted 3/20/2013 9:09:37 PM
Well I don't know really anything about shamans but every raid I have been in so far with a shaman they were always at the bottom of the healing charts.

So there must be somthing that changed u guys are having trouble adjusting too.
---
^^^ Above statements are my opinions and mine alone...
PSN- KiLLURjA0 XBL - KiLLER JA0
#3Viper114(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 9:40:40 PM
I was fine for Cata and the 5.0 raids, able to keep up with the rest of them, but this time around in ToT, I seem to be hurting, especially in the Horridon and Council fights, probably because of the movement involved. I don't know, I'd hate to get booted from the ToT group simply because I can't match what the Druid and Paladin are producing...
---
#4AssultTankPosted 3/20/2013 9:46:36 PM(edited)
Hmm. Sounds like you're just getting sniped. You look to be standard mastery/spirit build.

Also, have you tried out a crit centered build with less spirit? I use one myself, capped at 8k spirit(I would go down to 6.5k but the RL said no :(. ), and I tend to actually top charts over druids and pallies who out-gear me.

I'm about on par with you on gear level and I average about 80k HPS on most fights.

Also, are you using Chain Heal effectively? That alone should constitute a large chunk of your healing done.

Also, movement fights are where you should have an easier time beating pallies. They don't have Spiritwalker's Grace. :P
---
http://wh.gov/RI5h Petition to declare Westboro Baptist Church a hate group.
John 6:53 Jesus promoting cannibalism.
#5Viper114(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 9:54:08 PM
AssultTank posted...
Hmm. Sounds like you're just getting sniped. You look to be standard mastery/spirit build.

Also, have you tried out a crit centered build with less spirit? I use one myself, capped at 8k spirit(I would go down to 6.5k but the RL said no :(. ), and I tend to actually top charts over druids and pallies who out-gear me.

I'm about on par with you on gear level and I average about 80k HPS on most fights.

I've been Mastery for as long as it's been available, since the dawn of Cata. It's served me well and I used to be extremely good for the start of Cata, and was decent enough through FL, DS and the 5.0 raids. But now I'm just not able to keep up.

But no, I haven't tried the Crit build, always Mastery. If things can't improve, though, I might look into it next time.

Also, are you using Chain Heal effectively? That alone should constitute a large chunk of your healing done.

Also, movement fights are where you should have an easier time beating pallies. They don't have Spiritwalker's Grace. :P

Rotation is down pat, and I try to send Chain Heals out to the melee in our 10-man group since it will hit 3 or more people, but with Horridon and Council, we're spread out so much that Chain hasn't been effective unless we stack for things like Frostbite. Maybe it's just a bad fight for us...

Granted, I hadn't been keeping up with Spiritwalker's Grace as much as I should for this kind of fight, I try to do things like Riptide, Unleash and Nature's Swiftness when I move. That's something I need to fix for sure for next time.
---
#6BobTDonutPosted 3/20/2013 10:00:05 PM
1. Way too much haste. Your haste cap is only 871, so you are effectively wasting 1379 stat points. Look into other haste caps to turn that waste into at least some form of positive. One way of doing so is going for a 2071 haste cap and dropping AS for EM, or you can go for the 3600 something cap, but I would only do that if you end up with 2600+ haste that you cannot reforge out of.

2. Way too much mastery. Crit is valued at a higher HPS than Mastery whenever you are healing a target that is 50% or more in health, which means your mastery will only be worth more if you are healing targets below 50%, plus it starts to lose its value even further once your mastery is above 50% additional healing.

3. Unleashed Fury > Primal Elementalist. Rather the UF is towards a single target heal, a Healing Rain, or a Chain Heal, it is just too good to pass up every 15 seconds, especially when you already have plenty of major CDs as is.
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/black-dragonflight/Arpandaday/advanced
http://i.imgur.com/lPu0J.gif
#7AssultTankPosted 3/20/2013 10:08:38 PM(edited)
Hmm... I noticed with my group that we're pretty tightly stacked for most of Horridon to make things easier on tanks trying to get adds and AoE healing, so I'm able to get quite a bit of use out of my Chain Heal.

But for spread out fights, we'll always be worse off simply because we have pretty much nothing to use to heal spread out targets. Our two main heals require clumping. Other than that, we pretty much have to Riptide -> HW/GHW -> HW/GHW. This of course, isn't close to optimal.

Also, on low damage fights/parts of fights, you will tend to heal a lot less because HoTs and absorbs, which we have very little of, tend to suffice for keeping people alive and will snipe the heals. On the higher damage fights, mastery kicks in and we start really rocking the meters if we can get our AoE going.

Also, I'm thinking that you're raiding 10 man with 3 healers, which is a terrible setup for a resto shaman. We tend to shine more when two healing or in 25 mans. (Edit, just noticed that you had said you raid 10m >.<)

Also, to address Bob. i personally tend to prefer Primal Elementalist myself for two reasons.
1) 20% damage reduction for 1 minute.
2) I tend to prefer powering up lots of heals a little less than one heal a lot.
---
http://wh.gov/RI5h Petition to declare Westboro Baptist Church a hate group.
John 6:53 Jesus promoting cannibalism.
#8AssultTankPosted 3/20/2013 10:01:55 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9MajinUltimaPosted 3/20/2013 11:28:26 PM
Mastery is only as useful as your raid is low on health. How often are you healing someone at 30% vs 80%, for example? If it's not very often (and there's a good chance it isn't very often) then points in Mastery are actually not converting to throughput.

Basically, Mastery is probably going to make your Oh Crap uses of Healing Tide or Ascendance bigger but is likely to underperform on your routine healing. Haste will be more consistent and works well with Telluric Currents during periods of low incoming damage for more chances at free mana.

dropping AS for EM

--EM's a good way to go out of mana faster, whereas AS can help you meet another tick threshhold. I won't say EM's bad, but that kind of cooldown can backfire. Like Haste vs Mastery, AS is consistency but EM is to stack with another cooldown.

Unleashed Fury > Primal Elementalist. Rather the UF is towards a single target heal, a Healing Rain

--You lose credibility when you say UF affects Healing Rain. As far as I am aware, it only would affect 1 bounce of Chain Heal (not the bouncing values) and the initial heal (not HOT) of Riptide. UF is only good if you find yourself frequently using Greater Healing Wave. Primal tends to win by default in that the Earth Elemental's Reinforce is a decent cooldown, raw 10% healing increase and 20% less damage taken for a full minute. Elemental Blast ends up failing because it's hard to necessarily find time to use it, especially when you would WANT the random buff, since you probably won't have the free time then.
---
Homura-chan is the coolest.
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/7899/homura02b.jpg
#10KreyynPosted 3/21/2013 12:41:40 AM
Shaman is definitely the worst healer, but it can still perform quite well. On heroic 10 council i usually sit around 80-90k hps.
---
i7 2600k || SLi GTX 580 || Optx AW2310 ||
http://i.imgur.com/zSkO2.jpg "A stroke of the brush does not guarantee art from the bristles." Babylon 5.