This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Joined a new raiding guild, just got back into this, need some tips on gear/dps.

#1IceBarragePosted 3/25/2013 1:58:13 AM
80/80

Ret Paladin thread.

Title's pretty explanatory. I'd like to set a good impression in the guild, but I've just come back to the game after about five-six months, and need some help squaring everything away. There are very few open spots and it's cutthroat to secure a spot, so any suggestions are helpful.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightbringer/Nihilistic/simple

I'm far enough behind that I'm still working on my Sha gem from the original expac patch release. I figure that's my current goal gearwise right now, along with getting Dancing Steel on my wep instead of Windsong.

Skillwise, idk. I've been playing for years and have read Icy-Veins and EJ over and again for 5.2. I still feel lacking on the dps. Are there any other rets here that can give me an idea of where I'm supposed to be on single target and multi with my gear currently? Other sites/info to read, or just general tips to help me squeeze as much dps out as I possibly can.

I ran a HOF reg today with some of the guildies, and constantly was beaten to a pulp by an elemental shaman in dps (I'm somewhere in the 80k range while he's in the 125k range on some fights, etc.) He's at an ilevel of 508, which is about a whole difficulty level above me. Is it just that disparity caused by gear or am I just terrible right now?
---
Rest in peace Fistsofdissent
New LoL IGN: NowILayTheeDown--still carries on day to day basis.
#2XtraTPosted 3/25/2013 2:35:49 AM
get clcret, mash the button it tells you to, get glyph of double jeopardy isntead of WoG, use it if possible.

Not sure if haste is better than str/haste for ret, last time I checked it wasn't.

You have the worst movement speed talent.

Do you pre pot then pot during lust? Do you have all your cds during lust? I see it was your first time killing those bosses so you probably didn't know when you guys lusted and didn't line up cds with lust (unless you were pulling on the pull)

Ele shamans aren't that bad DPS wise, especially on cleave fights
---
Grand Marshal/Gladiator Priest, Lightplol.
PvE gladiator holy paladin, Lightp.
#3IceBarrage(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 4:38:29 AM
XtraT posted...
get clcret, mash the button it tells you to, get glyph of double jeopardy isntead of WoG, use it if possible.

Not sure if haste is better than str/haste for ret, last time I checked it wasn't.

You have the worst movement speed talent.

Do you pre pot then pot during lust? Do you have all your cds during lust? I see it was your first time killing those bosses so you probably didn't know when you guys lusted and didn't line up cds with lust (unless you were pulling on the pull)

Ele shamans aren't that bad DPS wise, especially on cleave fights

Thanks for the response. I'll download CLCRet later today.

I have double jeopardy learned, but I just can't seem to ever apply its dps increase meaningfully. Can someone give me an example of how exactly I'd be able to use it? Id imagine it has some help for horridon or troll council, but it seems like it's not much.

Ok, so in this gear disparity, I should be stacking str/haste hybrids over haste because the stat weights are still pretty balanced between str and haste?

Did Brawler's earlier and had that one on, I change that accordingly for what fight I'm on.

I always pre pot and save the real pot for guardian-lust phases if I can. And yeah, that's one thing I should probably do, is learn the times when to lust, how many wings I can get off in a fight, where I should guardian if I can do it more than once, etc...

And I know ele shamans aren't bad...but I'm just saying he was WHOOPIN me. And shouldn't I be doing better on cleave fights like Garalon?
---
#4XtraTPosted 3/25/2013 4:46:09 AM
for jeopardy it will come naturally as you switch off target to multi dot vengeance (like on adds from Shekzeer, Garalon's legs and body, etc. If you can cleave, you can use the glyph. It's ofc a very small dps boost but it has to be pointed out. Multi dotting is more important.

idk about gems, you probably should be simming it

melee is very good on garalon, but iirc chain lightning always hit the legs so Ele is very good in there
---
#5IceBarrage(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 5:41:45 AM
XtraT posted...
for jeopardy it will come naturally as you switch off target to multi dot vengeance (like on adds from Shekzeer, Garalon's legs and body, etc. If you can cleave, you can use the glyph. It's ofc a very small dps boost but it has to be pointed out. Multi dotting is more important.

idk about gems, you probably should be simming it

melee is very good on garalon, but iirc chain lightning always hit the legs so Ele is very good in there

Ok so multi dotting vengeance up to 5 is more important than going SoR? Even with the buff to 9%? I mean that makes it somewhat better at 4+ targets instead of 6+ now right?

Simming? I don't follow you.

And Ok, that may explain that.

Also one issue I have right now is that I'm playing on a laptop this week for our 25mans. Something that is kinda tough to do with a smooth framerate. So does anyone know a way I can improve my laptop's FPS?
---
#6Lightning BoltPosted 3/25/2013 5:47:41 AM
IceBarrage posted...
Simming? I don't follow you.

http://simulationcraft.org/
Download Latest Release

Have fun.
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
#7XtraTPosted 3/25/2013 6:08:18 AM
According to EJ, SoR is only good on 4+ targets for 30+ seconds (due to the dps loss for switchign seals)

for AoE fights like windlord you obv use SoR but for cleave fights you use SoV and just multi dot and double jeo them
---
#8IceBarrage(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 7:42:46 AM
K, so back to the other question I had, how can I increase my FPS on this laptop for 25mans?
---
#9vahndragonwingPosted 3/25/2013 8:04:36 AM
IceBarrage posted...
K, so back to the other question I had, how can I increase my FPS on this laptop for 25mans?

option 1: Turn down graphics

option 2: get new laptop
---
IMO
#10IceBarrage(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 8:06:37 AM
vahndragonwing posted...
IceBarrage posted...

option 1: Turn down graphics

option 2: get new laptop

Hmm, let's try some less obvious/sarcastic answers.
---