This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why hasn't WoW added a mentoring system?

#1Fimble_the_magePosted 3/25/2013 5:43:19 AM
It seems like it'd be a great way to get new players into the game. I don't necessarily want to start an alt to play with my friend, but I'd love the option to match levels with him in a party so we can content together. I've had friends get the game and quit just because they didn't realize they'd have to do 60+ levels worth of content without me.

It seems a lot of other MMORPGs have the system... why hasn't WoW added one?
---
Omegle is the worst site ever
#2ChaoticKanePosted 3/25/2013 5:51:58 AM(edited)
They do, it's called Recruit a Friend..............................
---
But lets not forget how deadly the zerg were in Starship troopers! Well until the Terrans got Marauders. - julbull73
#3_Jaris_Posted 3/25/2013 5:53:11 AM
Well, it is something they could look into, but you bringing a friend on board and then refusing to level an alt with them, even through RaF, is kind of a dick move.
---
Bears: Offseason ~ Blackhawks: 23-2-3 ~ Bulls: 36-29
#4Right_Chus_1Posted 3/25/2013 6:10:12 AM(edited)
You mean, make people leave town? lol, good luck with that.

New people usually want to quest more than dungeon, the problem is most are on alt number 25, have done a majority of the quests multiple times and just sit in town and que for dungeons. Sure there would be some people willing to party up and go quest but i dont think very many at all. Feels like a system that would just gather dust in this game since its all so easily accessible anyways.

Aside from that scaling levels down could be an option i guess but eh, i still dont see it being very popular.
#5vahndragonwingPosted 3/25/2013 6:32:45 AM
ChaoticKane posted...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

Also, he is talking about the ability to scale your character's level down so that you're able to play with a friend who is just starting without having to start a new character.
---
IMO
#6HakPosted 3/25/2013 6:54:26 AM
City of Heroes had the sidekick/exemplar system (either level your friend up to around your own level, or drop your level down to that of your friend. In the latter case, you earned bonus cash instead of xp). I'm guessing that's what he's talking about. Blizzard seem to have a pocket reply regarding "Wouldn't you rather we work on new content rather than revisit old content?" so this would probably fall under that.
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#7vahndragonwingPosted 3/25/2013 7:55:58 AM
_Jaris_ posted...
Well, it is something they could look into, but you bringing a friend on board and then refusing to level an alt with them, even through RaF, is kind of a dick move.

What about when you've been playing since classic and therefor have a server full of capped/close to capped characters?
---
IMO
#8ChaoticKanePosted 3/25/2013 9:07:52 AM
vahndragonwing posted...
ChaoticKane posted...

Also, he is talking about the ability to scale your character's level down so that you're able to play with a friend who is just starting without having to start a new character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exaggeration

I answered his topic title question.
---
But lets not forget how deadly the zerg were in Starship troopers! Well until the Terrans got Marauders. - julbull73
#9vahndragonwingPosted 3/25/2013 9:11:58 AM
ChaoticKane posted...
vahndragonwing posted...
ChaoticKane posted...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exaggeration

I answered his topic title question.

No, because he explained what he meant by 'mentor system' in the OP.

And if you read that page at all, you'd realize it doesn't in any way pertain to you using more than 3 periods in an ellipsis.
---
IMO
#10piplupzeroPosted 3/25/2013 9:23:10 AM
Hak posted...
City of Heroes had the sidekick/exemplar system (either level your friend up to around your own level, or drop your level down to that of your friend. In the latter case, you earned bonus cash instead of xp). I'm guessing that's what he's talking about. Blizzard seem to have a pocket reply regarding "Wouldn't you rather we work on new content rather than revisit old content?" so this would probably fall under that.

Its a fair enough point. The last time they worked on old content was called cataclysm. Ask 90% of the player-base what their least favorite xpac was...
---
Timesplitters is the best game series ever! C/C The choice is clear.