This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why hasn't WoW added a mentoring system?

#11ChaoticKanePosted 3/25/2013 8:49:59 AM
vahndragonwing posted...
ChaoticKane posted...
vahndragonwing posted...
ChaoticKane posted...
They do, it's called Recruit a Friend..............................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

Also, he is talking about the ability to scale your character's level down so that you're able to play with a friend who is just starting without having to start a new character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exaggeration

I answered his topic title question.

No, because he explained what he meant by 'mentor system' in the OP.

And if you read that page at all, you'd realize it doesn't in any way pertain to you using more than 3 periods in an ellipsis.

Yes, because I answered his "topic title question", as I said. I never mentioned his OP.

Try reading the first sentence.
---
But lets not forget how deadly the zerg were in Starship troopers! Well until the Terrans got Marauders. - julbull73
#12MorgasaurusPosted 3/25/2013 12:18:40 PM
RaF is way better than a mentor system because at the end of the day you basically get a "free" high level alt. You'd end up with another 90 if you leveled with him all the way. I don't understand how there is any difference in effort between leveling an alt with your friend with super bonus experience or playing a "scaled down" version of your main with them. You could even make an alt that is the same class as your main and then use it as a source of crafting professions when it hits 80 (or whatever level you decide to stop.) Even if your friend gains, say, 10 levels during your downtime, I'm pretty sure they can grant you levels immediately up to a certain point.
---
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? ..."
- Matthew 16:26
#13DawnshadowPosted 3/25/2013 12:35:41 PM
Morgasaurus posted...
RaF is way better than a mentor system because at the end of the day you basically get a "free" high level alt. You'd end up with another 90 if you leveled with him all the way. I don't understand how there is any difference in effort between leveling an alt with your friend with super bonus experience or playing a "scaled down" version of your main with them.

The problem with RaF is twofold: first of all, the referred person doesn't really get to experience the game properly. All I remember about my RAF period is a whirlwind of following a cat and being too rushed to really explore the game; I ended up with a level 60 paladin I didn't know how to play. I worked it out eventually, but I probably would have enjoyed those early days more had I not been drug through at breakneck speed.

Secondly, it doesn't really work if you're not binding yourself to level alongside a particular person. For example, say someone in my guild has played DPS for years, but just rolled their first tank, and is nervous about running a dungeon alone. Randoms are hard on tanks, after all. I don't have any more character slots, and both of us are already playing and not about to run a RAF, but if I could downscale I could take one of my alt healers and send them through with the newbie tank.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#14vahndragonwingPosted 3/25/2013 1:38:19 PM
Thirdly, I feel I should reiterate: What about when your server has had every character at cap since Wrath? I want my buddy to play with me, but I don't want to delete any of my characters. A mentoring system would be awesome for me.

And I'm not the only one, either. We may be in the minority, but as time passes more and more people wind up with a full stable of 85+ characters.
---
IMO
#15MorgasaurusPosted 3/25/2013 3:00:03 PM
The problem with RaF is twofold: first of all, the referred person doesn't really get to experience the game properly. All I remember about my RAF period is a whirlwind of following a cat and being too rushed to really explore the game; I ended up with a level 60 paladin I didn't know how to play. I worked it out eventually, but I probably would have enjoyed those early days more had I not been drug through at breakneck speed.

I don't really see this as much of a problem since the focus in WoW is on end-game. They can always level an alt at normal or loom speed to "smell the roses."

For the second point, if your stable is full of characters, you can always make a new character on the same realm type as your current one and use real ID to do basically anything together. I'm not even sure how restrictive real ID is in terms of realm type. The disadvantage is that you wouldn't be able to send the alt bags/gold and convsersely make use of any old-world mats he acquires.
---
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? ..."
#16vahndragonwingPosted 3/25/2013 3:07:18 PM
Morgasaurus posted...

I don't really see this as much of a problem since the focus in WoW is on end-game. They can always level an alt at normal or loom speed to "smell the roses."

For the second point, if your stable is full of characters, you can always make a new character on the same realm type as your current one and use real ID to do basically anything together. I'm not even sure how restrictive real ID is in terms of realm type. The disadvantage is that you wouldn't be able to send the alt bags/gold and convsersely make use of any old-world mats he acquires.

The problem lies in that fact that the new person who was RaF'D won't, like he said, know how to play their class due to the speed of leveling.

And does cross-realm even work for RaF?
---
IMO
#17RebornAramisPosted 3/25/2013 3:32:25 PM
A mentoring system requires mentors to work, a welfare system doesn't.
---
Newbies should be seen, not heard! -Fred
#18AmakusaPosted 3/25/2013 4:02:42 PM(edited)
vahndragonwing posted...
The problem lies in that fact that the new person who was RaF'D won't, like he said, know how to play their class due to the speed of leveling.

You won't know how to play your class until rather late in the leveling process anyway, and perhaps not even then.

I never figured out how to truly play my Monk until long after I hit 90 (and realized that I had that rising kick move for 40 levels without noticing)
---
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.
#19MorgasaurusPosted 3/25/2013 8:26:37 PM

Icy Veins. Plus they will learn more about raiding/PvP and get more raiding/PvP practice and therefore be better at raiding/PvP sooner if they rush to 90 and start raiding/PvP sooner.
---
#20scarecrowsPosted 3/25/2013 8:29:07 PM
They mentioned that they want to do this, it takes time to rip off other games though.
---
"Your an imbecile" - Gallusz