This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I want to make a tank

#1TylerJPosted 3/27/2013 9:24:02 AM
So the 'if you are rude to a newbie...' topic has got me thinking - I want to try being a tank.

Obviously I understand the main principles, but my main reservation is that I don't know dungeons well enough to be confident of guiding people round.

Anyway, I am leaning towards a Blood Death Knight, for two reasons:

1. Starting level 55
2. In general they seem to be the best tanks I've played alongside.

- Would you recommend this class over others (for a tank newbie)?
- Do you recommend the survival or control route?
- Anything specific I should know?

I'm thinking of going Worgen.

My current main is a level 88 Dwarf Hunter so I can take a bit of stick.
---
Me racing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaRecuEvUp8&feature=g-upl
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8913/porschei.png
#2Lightning BoltPosted 3/27/2013 9:29:44 AM
TylerJ posted...
Obviously I understand the main principles, but my main reservation is that I don't know dungeons well enough to be confident of guiding people round.

You'll be alright. Most of the dungeons are pretty linear.

- Would you recommend this class over others (for a tank newbie)?

Eh... not extremely. Paladins are easier since they have so many aoe abilities that you'll always have something to smack for aggro. DKs take a bit of planning; it's totally possible to burn all of your resources if you're not careful and then just sit there watching people getting eaten with nothing to take aggro with.

- Do you recommend the survival or control route?

The huh?
If you mean accuracy versus avoidance, I prefer accuracy. Much smoother to play firstly, and secondly it adds a very nice amount of damage. Avoidance is fairly weak. It's totally your call though, both are viable and neither really makes a massive difference as long as you prioritize Mastery as you should.

- Anything specific I should know?

Don't use Runic Empowerment. It sucks ass. (might wanna get used to Blood Tap while leveling)
At low levels, Blood Boil does obscene damage. Even for single target you should spam it a lot since it's just that strong.

I'm thinking of going Worgen.

Party on.
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
#3EDarienPosted 3/27/2013 9:55:03 AM
Lightning Bolt posted...

[everything in his post]

Party on.

^ Was gonna say stuff akin to this. I'll just point to it instead. Paladin was my first tank and I do think a good choice as it has a smaller learning curve. DK is a great tank, when you already know what you're doing. Paladin's a nice starting point to learn the mechanics of tanking before trying other classes' nuances.

I had to shrink the post because of the 5 quote limit. I didn't feel like surgically editing, so I just gutted it all to make it easier.
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14