This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

8 Months.

#1hailkingmonPosted 3/28/2013 5:13:43 PM
Almost done with this (second) deployment, will be home in a month. Can't wait to pick WoW back up. Missed so much!

How is everyone liking the expansion? I was in beta so I got to check it out a little bit before I left, but they hadn't even raised the level cap yet. What's good, what's not so good? They were just about to implement the very exciting Pet Battles, how'd that go? Still big?
---
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
#2Egxamer1Posted 3/28/2013 5:46:24 PM
Well the pet battles are pretty cool, i didnt get into them as much as i would have liked but glad you are coming back safe. I myself spent almost all of 2011 in kandalar, Afghanistan and was able to come back in one piece in Nov 2011 right before DS dropped. If you enjoy beautiful landscapes and tons of questing and storylines with phasing upon phasing you will enjoy this xpac. The devil is in the details and blizz spared no expense to give us one hell of a good time.
---
I am slaying all the bosses, I am winning all the dailies, I am doing all the dps, I am dating Mila Kunis, I am killing all the arenas, I belief in my Smelf.
#3Slyk90Posted 3/28/2013 7:04:21 PM
Thanks for your service dude
---
/\/ / /\/_/ /\ G A I D E N
#4shawn10000000Posted 3/28/2013 10:09:18 PM(edited)
Thank you for your service. enjoy azeroth, the game is pretty fun these days. but there is some people out there who would say it's too reliant on dailies, but that isn't so much a bad thing. depends on how you feel about them i guess.
#5ljgfPosted 3/28/2013 10:52:31 PM
The one thing that I like the most about this expansion is how many cool little things Blizzard has added to reward you for adventuring in the world.

There are loads and loads of rare mobs that can spawn, all of which are a challenge while leveling (and to a certain extent when you're 90 too). That includes some Zandalari trolls which were added in 5.2. Those are hard enough to require a group at 90 but they can drop triceratops mounts if you get lucky. And there are a bunch of rare-spawn treasures scattered around Pandaria, which range from funny vendor trash to BoA gear. Then there are all the spots that let you read some lore (finding them all gets you some achievements and rep with the Lorewalkers).

In 5.2 they added two new islands, which both have some very cool rewards if you spend some time with them. The more important one is the Isle of Thunder, which is a new daily hub. There's a key that can drop off of mobs there that lets you run a fun Indiana Jones style solo scenario in which you run through an area and try to collect as much loot as possible (you get to keep all of it) with a chance for purple gear at the end. You can also find incantations as another rare drop which let you summon an elite that can drop stuff similar to what's in the loot chests of that scenario. Oh, and there are treasure chests scattered around the island that can contain all the same stuff + the key or the incantations. Finally, there's the Isle of Giants, which has a world boss and a whole load of very strong elite dinosaurs that drop bones, which can be turned into a guy for a pet or a raptor mount.

So yeah, Blizzard definitely is trying to encourage you to get out, explore, and do fun stuff in the world rather than sit around in a city. It's pretty cool.
#6hailkingmon(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 8:24:53 AM
I myself spent almost all of 2011 in kandalar, Afghanistan and was able to come back in one piece in Nov 2011

Did you enjoy it? Never hit the ground in Afghanistan myself, but my coworkers who went IA all came back saying the people they were around was awesome, and they overall had a good time. I mean, no one enjoys being shot at (only had missiles shot at me personally), but I've never encountered someone who said they wish they hadn't gone.

I've played since vanilla release and I've always enjoyed the lore, so all of that sounds great. Can I get some more info on the Lorewalkers and these lore locations? And is the Isle of Thunder pretty much like the Isle of Quel'Danas thing?

I've been avoiding following any news or reading up on the MMOs I play since it would just depress me while I was out here. I'm glad that I'm close enough now to start getting ready to catch up. I have 5 85s ready to take it to the next level(s)... Hm. Gotta figure out what race to make my Monk. What's the most popular race combo for Monks so I know what NOT to go with?
---
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
#7angrywalrus13Posted 3/29/2013 8:49:21 AM
Yeah, Isle of Thunder is like Quel'Danas, with a bit more to do. 'Tis nifty.
---
Thomx
like tommicks
#8CPLBradleyPosted 3/29/2013 9:08:08 AM
Secret wow veterans topic? Secret wow veteran topic.

What branch were you two in? IA sounds like Navy and an entire year sounds like Army. I was in the USMC until October of last year and transferred to the National Guard.
---
Let's f***ing riot!
I'm like the male version of Taylor Swift. ~ Doofe_2012
#9redundanciesPosted 3/29/2013 9:51:25 AM
The more important one is the Isle of Thunder, which is a new daily hub. There's a key that can drop off of mobs there that lets you run a fun Indiana Jones style solo scenario in which you run through an area and try to collect as much loot as possible (you get to keep all of it) with a chance for purple gear at the end. You can also find incantations as another rare drop which let you summon an elite that can drop stuff similar to what's in the loot chests of that scenario. Oh, and there are treasure chests scattered around the island that can contain all the same stuff + the key or the incantations.

There's all this, and more! There are some rare mobs which spawn at fixed points on the map at random times - they use a new system called "tap to faction" so anyone can get credit for killing them even if already engaged. If you participate in the kill you get a tome which grants you 15 valor points, and other random goodies (I think the aforementioned key is a guaranteed drop off the first one per week that you kill). You'll generally find that folks are helpful and will broadcast on General that one is up, since they don't have to worry about kill stealing.
#10ljgfPosted 3/29/2013 10:05:01 AM
I've played since vanilla release and I've always enjoyed the lore, so all of that sounds great. Can I get some more info on the Lorewalkers and these lore locations? And is the Isle of Thunder pretty much like the Isle of Quel'Danas thing?

The Lorewalkers are a Pandaren faction that are pretty much what they sound like, they're studying the lore of the continent. They're also linked to archaeology in a few ways. The lore stuff you find in the new zones is pretty hard to miss if you happen to pass it, they have a big blue glow before you first read them (kind of like the traditional quest sparkle effect). Basically, they each give you some backstory on one of the races or groups of the expansion. Once you find all of them for a category, you can go back to the Lorewalkers and watch a cutscene.

I've been avoiding following any news or reading up on the MMOs I play since it would just depress me while I was out here. I'm glad that I'm close enough now to start getting ready to catch up. I have 5 85s ready to take it to the next level(s)... Hm. Gotta figure out what race to make my Monk. What's the most popular race combo for Monks so I know what NOT to go with?

The most popular race for monks is definitely Pandaren. When the expansion first came out they were absolutely everywhere; in low-level dungeons it was pretty common to get groups of all panda monks, but it's not quite so bad anymore. Nothing wrong with doing it if you want to try out both new things at the same time, but if you want to stand out from the crowd then it's definitely not the way to go.