This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's so hard to build a guild these days, even when you have something to offer.

#1RockeignPosted 3/29/2013 11:46:36 AM(edited)
So I got this guild that I've been leveling solo since Cata. Had it since Wrath, it's a guild I made mainly so I could have a guild between those transitional periods. Once Cata came in and perks came around though, it became my main guild. I started to see the greed in people as they treated guilds and it's members as nothing but currency. Selling guilds and getting more for having active members for Cash Flow became the norm.

Fast forward to now and the guild is level 12. On Emerald Dream US I tried a few guilds out and came to realize these guys have no idea wtf they're doing. There's like 2 big PvP guilds on each side and none of which actually do high level PvP. One of which only does any kind of consistent PvP at all and that's WPvP. And since I'm not a FotM class (WW Monk), I decided to form my own RBGs and network out meeting people.

Long story short, I got to nearly 1900 with no signs of showing that this is my limit. Me and this other guy I lead RBGs with (his Prot Warrior but he parked his Holy Paladin in my guild) decided to turn that solo guild into a true PvP and tried to get the people we semi-core RBGs with to join. But no one wants to leave their 25 guilds. I mean their guilds may not do s*** but hey, least they get perks and free repairs, right?

And that's the story. 1900 isn't top-tier but it's not bad and it's more than what any other Alliance guild can boast on this server. Most people that capped out are doing it via cross realm, carries and arena. So here I am leading the best RBGs this server has to offer and I can't get anyone to join because my guild is level 12. Even worse is someone of these guys I got cross realm want to transfer over to join my guild, but how much of a dick would I be if I let this guy spend $25 to come to my server and join my low man, level 12 guild?

And I don't want to have to resort to spam recruiting lowbies to level my guild, that's just a dick move and I'm sure anyone who's anyone hates that guild recruit spam. It's a catch-22, need people to level but no one wants to join unless it's leveled.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/guild/emerald-dream/Lone%20Man%20Legion/

^ The name isn't stupid either. <Lone Man Legion>. You know how long it took for me to come up with a name that ran off the tongue smoother than One Man Clan?
#2ryanell666Posted 3/29/2013 12:17:24 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3Little ZardarPosted 3/29/2013 12:22:39 PM
#4Rockeign(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 12:33:43 PM
ryanell666 posted...

Little Zardar posted...

.. Whenever this happens my paranoia kicks in and I can't help but feel I've been flamed. :l
#5Egxamer1Posted 3/29/2013 12:50:51 PM
Hey Rock i used to run my own guild, when i went to boot camp it broke up and went to crap. Came back and became co gm and rl of another quality guild and raided my ass off for a pair of xpacs until Afghanistan. Came back again and now im a simple raider. I couldnt even hope to summon the energy to run crap myself again... so props to you for trying.

Sorry though cause i dont like your name... reminds of that movie Airheads. " There's three of you, ur not exactly lone!"
---
I am slaying all the bosses, I am winning all the dailies, I am doing all the dps, I am dating Mila Kunis, I am killing all the arenas, I belief in my Smelf.
#6HoheiPosted 3/29/2013 1:00:44 PM
Yeah, adding the "perks" wasn't one of Blizzard's best moves. If it functioned more like GW2 guild system, where the bonuses were more of one-time use things than permanent items (and the permanent ones aren't gameplay helpers) than finding a guild/switching to another wouldn't be so bad. As it stands, the big "mass invite every non-guilded person via a whisper macro" so they can rake in on the cash flow perk is how guilds are run now, unless a specific guild (raiding or pvp but even those are 25).

I just excepted the fact that my guild will level slower with just me and my partner in it, but eventually we'll get to where we'd like to be. Or Blizzard offers a "free boost to 25" from the cash store. Either or.
---
Damn twitter/facebook/blog generation thinking they're special snowflakes who think their thoughts/comments/concerns mean ****.
#7Rockeign(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 1:04:05 PM
Egxamer1 posted...
Hey Rock i used to run my own guild, when i went to boot camp it broke up and went to crap. Came back and became co gm and rl of another quality guild and raided my ass off for a pair of xpacs until Afghanistan. Came back again and now im a simple raider. I couldnt even hope to summon the energy to run crap myself again... so props to you for trying.

Sorry though cause i dont like your name... reminds of that movie Airheads. " There's three of you, ur not exactly lone!"

I know the feeling. I used to run another and fairly successful PvP before this but my class load picked up. Didn't realize that university loads would be so hefty. My officers weren't groomed well enough to do it without me and it fell to pieces in a few short months. I didn't want to make another guild but it's either do it yourself or do nothing on this server.

By the way, I realize the name will have a different meaning now. Just think of it as the US Army's catch phrase, "An Army of One." Every man in my guild has potential to be a one man legion. It works. ;)
#8Sweet00thPosted 3/29/2013 2:13:18 PM
i'd join your guild if i was alliance. im on emerald dream as well...
---
Gt:SuhAndrew
"Of the first calavary infantry squadron 244 regiment 5"
#9LanceFlugermanPosted 3/29/2013 2:29:59 PM
Bait a few botters to put their chars into your guild. They will level your guild in no time!
---
Damn, GameFAQs is dying.
#10Rockeign(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 4:34:05 PM
Hohei posted...
Yeah, adding the "perks" wasn't one of Blizzard's best moves. If it functioned more like GW2 guild system, where the bonuses were more of one-time use things than permanent items (and the permanent ones aren't gameplay helpers) than finding a guild/switching to another wouldn't be so bad. As it stands, the big "mass invite every non-guilded person via a whisper macro" so they can rake in on the cash flow perk is how guilds are run now, unless a specific guild (raiding or pvp but even those are 25).

I just excepted the fact that my guild will level slower with just me and my partner in it, but eventually we'll get to where we'd like to be. Or Blizzard offers a "free boost to 25" from the cash store. Either or.

Yeah man, it's a shame. The sad part is the idea as a whole is good, it's the playerbase who's ruining it.

Sweet00th posted...
i'd join your guild if i was alliance. im on emerald dream as well...

.. :c