This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who is a true WoW fan here, and who is the bandwagon jumpers?

#1WesternWizardPosted 4/2/2013 7:40:45 PM
Let's say a big new hit MMORPG comes out and clears out 80% of WoW's pop, say in 5 or 10 years time. Blizzard itself dwindles into almost obscurity, and some other big names come into being...

...who amongst you will stay with WoW, providing you still enjoy it? Really curious. I wish Blizzard never succeeded as much as they did, even though I love them, because I miss supporting them when they were a small company of gamers.

You used to be able to ring them up just to chat, no joke, back in 1998. You could e-mail specific people in the company like Chris Metzen or Samwise Diddier, even Rob Pardo or Mike Morhaime, and they'd talk to you about the game, just like a small team of developers do now.

I've always loved these guys, but while the popularity of the franchise doesn't really make it worse for me, it does sort of sully the moment. I mean I'm a true honest fan, even if WoW only had 250,000 subs, like some other big name MMOs, heck even, 50,000, I'd still play!

The point is that I'm wondering whom amongst you really likes WoW for what it is, not just because it is a popular game.

Basically, would you still be with Blizzard if they were an obscure almost indie name?
#2DarkLord63Posted 4/2/2013 7:43:02 PM
I play games I have fun with as does 99% of the gaming population. I will continue to play this game so long as I have fun. You are thinking way too much about this.
---
You know you play too much Halo when you hear that there's a flood warning in your area and go straight for the shotgun.-Ireth
#3metroidfreakv4Posted 4/2/2013 7:46:00 PM
I'll play until I get bored of it and my favorite posters here disappear. I'm loving this game right now, but I don't play often. I don't have a lot of free time. I work 2 jobs, full time college student, and touring with my music. Playing 2-3 hours a week tops
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SO-HGwxJNg
#4Rayray1985Posted 4/2/2013 7:49:32 PM
WesternWizard posted...
The point is that I'm wondering whom amongst you really likes WoW for what it is, not just because it is a popular game.

Basically, would you still be with Blizzard if they were an obscure almost indie name?

Lol, are there people out there who play games based solely on the games' popularity? Can't imagine playing a game I don't like just because the majority likes it.
---
Xbox Live GT: Reddie85
#5metroidfreakv4Posted 4/2/2013 7:53:06 PM
Rayray1985 posted...
WesternWizard posted...

Lol, are there people out there who play games based solely on the games' popularity? Can't imagine playing a game I don't like just because the majority likes it.

Call of duty
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SO-HGwxJNg
#6spacecowboymikePosted 4/2/2013 8:27:44 PM
Its like people said: I play what I have fun with. If its wow I'll continue to play, if not I'll quit. I doubt I'll ever pick up another MMO just because they are too much of a time sink. I dont regret playing wow at all but it does take a lot of time if you want to experience a good chunk of the game.
#7UtinilPosted 4/2/2013 9:05:18 PM
WesternWizard posted...
Let's say a big new hit MMORPG comes out and clears out 80% of WoW's pop, say in 5 or 10 years time. Blizzard itself dwindles into almost obscurity, and some other big names come into being...

...who amongst you will stay with WoW, providing you still enjoy it?

snip

As others have said I play what I enjoy. If a new MMO comes out and is good enough to steal 80% of WoW's population you would be a fool to not at least try it. If I enjoyed WoW more I would switch back, if I enjoyed the new one more I would play it. I doubt I will ever do 2 MMOs at once before. I did that with EQ and WoW at launch and I ended up enjoying WoW more.
#8ToadstoolPeachPosted 4/2/2013 9:14:20 PM
Got burned out and stopped playing. Maybe I'll come back for 5.3 or wait for the next expac or just not come back at all.
#9Rayn247Posted 4/2/2013 9:44:23 PM
I tend to play until i get bored and then generally skip and expansion... Played calssic, skipped BC came back for Wrath, skipped Cata, came back for MoP... So, i think it's one of those things that those of us that really enjoy the game, we hit a wall so to speak where we just need a break. Some for short periods, some for years. But, there's not too many people that quit and just never come back. And i think those that do quit to never return do it for other reasons than they stopped enjoying it or found a "better" game.

Maybe they out grew games in general, got married and had kids, maybe they were the people that became addicted to their game and had to unplug. Hell, I'm 33 and still LOVE Mario and Duck Hunt... But i haven't played them in about 12 years, lol.
---
What doesn't kill me, had better start running.
#10ryanell666Posted 4/2/2013 10:36:08 PM(edited)
WesternWizard posted...
[too long to quote,..stupid word count]

I hear what you're saying TC, but this topic is going to get brushed to the side as another 'nostalgic wish' topic.

Like I've said a billion times on every fourm that talks about WoW:

MMORPGaming is a niche genre of gaming directed toward a niche sub-culture of gamers. The idea behind the MMORPG, is to live in a virtual world of escapist fantasy based in real-time concequences; anything else besides that is not an MMORPG.

Although I could go all "wall o'text" explaining this, brainless fan trolls tend to rip on me, then I'd rip on them, and my point gets lost in the ether.

I've also said too that more people = more money = more problems. An MMORPG isn't suppose to become this large, because it can't make everyone happy. Take this guy for example:

DarkLord63 posted...
I play games I have fun with as does 99% of the gaming population. I will continue to play this game so long as I have fun. You are thinking way too much about this.

I like to dedicate my myself to an MMORPG, that involves long lengthy quest chain events (a'la AQ War Effort/Shifting Sands), 40 man raids that takes true teamwork and co-ordination, and perhaps bask in the glories of higher than average acheivements that so few search for in every nook and cranny that this game offers. WoW is obivously no longer like this because the current player base wants to forget about the majority of the content, streamline to the top tiers of the game, and do it with a fraction of the effort.

There are two problems with the logic of this guy's statement. First, being what I said before, MMORPG is a niche sub-culture of gaming. You really can't lump it with racing, fps, action (from hack n' slash to simple platformers)....You can race in Gran Turismo, do a few laps then turn off the game, pop in Call of Duty and kill 50 people in a multiplayer, then turn off that game and pop in Devil May Cry.....and so on.....closer to home, you can't expect the same kind of pacing in an MMORPG like you would in a JRPG as well (a'la Final Fantasy, excluding 11 and 14). MMORPG is about the timesink, it's about the journey and the experiences and dedication.

The second issue is that if you took EVERY SINGLE PERSON who had played WoW at one point or another in history (as opposed to JUST the current player base), this 'definition' of fun he invented in his head, probably only makes up 10% of that 'true' gaming population (since we are just guessing at numbers).

You only see 99%, because during the course of WoW's 8+ year history they slowly alienated 89% of it's player base (lifting attunements, epic badge loot, and all the other many handicaps put into the game to give baddies a sense of self-entitlement that ruins the game for others), which in turn makes 10% the new "99%"....while the former 89% laughs or pities at the WoW's current players for continuing their support....well, for being SUCKERS that pay a sub fee for a glorified facebook program complete with farmville and pokemon, and cutesy panda-like avatars.

for the sake of proving this arguement: http://www.wowhead.com/news=194570/in-with-the-newb-out-with-the-old-the-future-of-world-of-warcraft

"If you look at, if you look at the way the population breaks down, we're at a point in our history where there are more people that played World of Warcraft but no longer play World of Warcraft than currently play World of Warcraft," Chilton admitted

Now sure it may be fun to the 10% that make up the new total of WoW's population. It always comes down to people like TC and myself (and a great many others) who wish for smaller communities in their MMORPG, that is if you can find a good MMORPG that doesn't try to hard copying Acti-Blizz's business plan of "catering to the baddies".