This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do people level 10-90 "strictly through BGs"?

#1SyrupBookPosted 4/6/2013 6:48:42 AM
How do you maintain up-to-date gear? A character with full heirlooms would need to continuously update neck, wrist, hands, belt, boots, and probably rings. Yes, quests and dungeons offer loot and rewards for these slots, but doing those means you're not leveling through just BGs. And I don't know about the AH on your server, but literally any and all crappy green items listed of any level range on mine are typically between 500-1000+ gold, which means updating gear via the AH would waste an absurdly high amount of gold.

FYI, I'm not calling people that claim to do this liars, because I'm actually interested in trying this. I just don't see how it's possible without blasting through an embarrassing amount of gold.
---
/target keyboard
/cast faceroll
#2Neo_TsugaPosted 4/6/2013 6:59:13 AM
on my rogue i would turn off exp and have a guildy run me through dungeons to get the best gear possible every 5-10lvls. then turn on exp and wreck face.
---
Prepare to be unprepared!
#3cxiePosted 4/6/2013 7:28:48 AM
on my rogue i would turn off exp and have a guildy run me through dungeons to get the best gear possible every 5-10lvls. then turn on exp and wreck face.

why turn on exp after you go through the trouble to get best gear at that level range? Are you afraid to fight people with same gear or something?
#4ElaeusPosted 4/6/2013 7:34:04 AM
Neo_Tsuga posted...

So wait, you don't want to benefit from the XP gain provided by the boosts, while you are farming gear to level up in BGs? Seriously?

wtf.jpg
---
My heart just wouldn't be in it, you know? haven't got one.
#5ShadowEdgeXPosted 4/6/2013 8:16:24 AM
Buy greens off the AH?
---
Proud to have formerly lived in the only country in the world whose National Sport has a sequel
#6Neo_TsugaPosted 4/6/2013 8:20:35 AM
myself and 2 other guildies ran a 3man team 2 druids 1 heals 1 rdps. stealthlys geared and chanted to the teeth, was quite a good time.
---
Prepare to be unprepared!
#7Flying_CarcassPosted 4/6/2013 8:45:54 AM
SyrupBook posted...
How do you maintain up-to-date gear? A character with full heirlooms would need to continuously update neck, wrist, hands, belt, boots, and probably rings. Yes, quests and dungeons offer loot and rewards for these slots, but doing those means you're not leveling through just BGs. And I don't know about the AH on your server, but literally any and all crappy green items listed of any level range on mine are typically between 500-1000+ gold, which means updating gear via the AH would waste an absurdly high amount of gold.

FYI, I'm not calling people that claim to do this liars, because I'm actually interested in trying this. I just don't see how it's possible without blasting through an embarrassing amount of gold.

Unless they removed the NPCs since last I played, one could purchase most of that stuff with honor from battleground supply officers until 60 and then the battlemasters found in cities from there onwards. And unless they removed the ability to buy gems with honor since last I played, folks could raise gold by purchasing gems with honor and then selling them.
#8DawnshadowPosted 4/6/2013 9:11:14 AM
You can get wrist and waist items (and a few others that are either redundant with looms or just for one stat type) with honor from the classic BG vendors. They take a bit of traveling to get to, but the gear is rather nice given that it only costs a handful of honor. Otherwise, greens can fill gaps up to 60.

At 60 and 70 you can buy offset items for all slots from PvP vendors for very little honor; if you've PvPed to that point you'll have more than enough to buy them, and probably some converted to JP to keep from capping in the process. They're actually rather nice; I typically buy the level 70 offset pieces on most of my alts (plate tanks excepted) and wear them until I get into Cata gear, because they're better than Wrath quest and even dungeon items until you're practically 80. At 77-78 you get Cata greens, which are a huge jump from any possible Wrath gear (an overreaction to Wrath not being enough of an item level jump; IIRC, some of the first guilds to run Naxx did it in their level 70 raid gear because the Wrath dungeon gear wasn't an upgrade.) At 85, you can just hit the Adventuring Gear vendors every level or two for your upgrades.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#9YhiPosted 4/6/2013 10:14:07 AM
they are liars though op, no one does this

lots of people intend to, until the reality of just how much longer it will take sets in
#10metroidfreakv4Posted 4/6/2013 10:21:08 AM
Haha. I remember that in wrath, when the gear jump was not very significant, so cata was what? 60 some Ilevels jump :0
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SO-HGwxJNg