This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

unholy dk vs shadowpriest raiding

#1RajenkiPosted 4/6/2013 8:05:56 AM(edited)
hi guys,

Quick question; my guild needs either a unholy dk/shadowpriest to go raiding with them since i got both around lvl 80 i want to know which of these 2 pulls higher dps in raid (pve) environments, not pvp just pure pve:), before i start leveling one of em i enjoy dot classes anyway so i dont have a preference between these 2 appreciate the answers :)

thanks in advance!
#2DawnshadowPosted 4/6/2013 8:27:22 AM
I wouldn't just go on stack chart DPS for this, for two reasons. First, DK's frost spec sims slightly ahead of unholy, which means most of the really good DKs went frost-- the unholy DKs you'll see generally won't be the best of the best, wheras the shadow priests are because their other two specs are healing. Secondly, DPS balance shifts every few months; going by top DPS now instead of by class capabilities is a short-sighted method. And, these days, class balance is close enough that your skill will play more of a difference in your damage potential than your class at anything but the highest level of play.

If you don't have a preference for either class' playstyle and don't intend to tank or heal, I would probably go with the shadow priest (somewhat hypocritically, as my main is a DK.) It seems like a lot of raid and even some 5-man encounters favor ranged DPS over melee. I would suggest taking tanking or healing as your offspec; the reduced queue times can make gearing up quite a bit faster.

That said, they're both fun specs to play; if you disagree with me, go with that.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#3ChocoboMog123Posted 4/6/2013 8:41:59 AM
Why do you need "either a unholy dk/shadowpriest"? They don't share any buffs or debuffs, are on different gear types, and aren't even on the same token.

I'll never understand why raid groups have such silly spec restrictions.
---
"You're sorely underestimating the power of nostalgia goggles." - adjl
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20110218.gif
#4Rajenki(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 8:43:40 AM
its not really a hardcore raiding guild they just want one of each spec while raiding :)
#5KokeiiPosted 4/6/2013 9:18:55 AM
ChocoboMog123 posted...
Why do you need "either a unholy dk/shadowpriest"? They don't share any buffs or debuffs, are on different gear types, and aren't even on the same token.

I'll never understand why raid groups have such silly spec restrictions.

Maybe they already have a frost DK in the raid and want to have a DK of a different spec? And what does DK and priest being on the same token or different armor type have to do with whatever else is in the raid? Maybe they have lots of leather wearers and fewer plate/cloth classes?
#6ChocoboMog123Posted 4/6/2013 10:09:38 AM
Rajenki posted...
its not really a hardcore raiding guild they just want one of each spec while raiding :)

There's 34 specs and 11 classes. You're never going to have everything and there's really no need to.

Kokeii posted...
Maybe they already have a frost DK in the raid and want to have a DK of a different spec?

Why not a Warrior, Pally, Shaman, et cetera, et cetera? "Unholy DK" is overly specific and there's nothing this tier that really requires one.

Kokeii posted...
And what does DK and priest being on the same token or different armor type have to do with whatever else is in the raid? Maybe they have lots of leather wearers and fewer plate/cloth classes?

Again, there are other options. I was elimination possible reasons to actually want a specific class (Warlocks and Rogues bring magical vulnerability, for example).
---
"You're sorely underestimating the power of nostalgia goggles." - adjl
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20110218.gif
#7Rajenki(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 10:33:31 AM
@chocobo i didnt ask why they want those specifics all i know is that i haooen to have those 2 classes so if ur going to ask why just dont respond thank you
#8metroidfreakv4Posted 4/6/2013 10:55:57 AM
He makes good points though.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SO-HGwxJNg