This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Since WoW has a time line, how old are our characters supposed to be?

#11NibsnPosted 4/10/2013 6:05:28 AM
I think you can probably tell by how old Prince Anduin(sp) is....not that I know the answer myself.
#12Nomadic ViewPosted 4/10/2013 6:39:15 AM
Since there are annual holidays the timeline can be calculated by simply counting one of the holidays. However, that does not illustrate what age out character starts level one as.

Judging by the appearance of humans I'd say somewhere in the ballpark of 30.
---
{}\\{}(o){}\\//{}//=\\{})){}(< \\//{}{{-{}//\\{}
#13JohnnyShred612Posted 4/10/2013 7:51:32 AM
muffinz10 posted...
JohnnyShred612 posted...
muffinz10 posted...
How big is the timeline since WoW started? Hopefully it's long, like, more than a century long. 200 year old heroes walking around is slightly less ridiculous than the world coming to the brink of destruction about ten times in eight years.

It's a fictional world where the threat of Arthas was already established and Illidan/Kael'thas were out there as well. Really, the only thing that wasn't already an issue at the start of the WoW timeline was Deathwing (and Pandaria, but MoP is hardly a "brink of destruction" thing so much as a continuation of the Alliance/Horde war).

WoW's probably a span of like six years now.

Yeah but in the few millennia preceding WoW **** wasn't going down annually, it was more like once a century, and as you said most of those threats were already pre-established back then as well. It's obvious why it has to be like that, World of Warcraft: Peacetime would be a pretty sucky xpac, but it can't really be justified with logic.

And I've officially debated WoW lore. Where the *****es at.

It can be justified by saying that the game takes place in the most turbulent era of the world's history. It's like WW2 for Azeroth right now, they've never seen this kind of conflict.
---
Bear Down
http://i.imgur.com/foXAiYP.png
#14Sir WillPosted 4/10/2013 9:12:31 AM
http://www.wowpedia.org/Timeline_(unofficial)

4-5 years since WoW started.
---
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
#15muffinz10Posted 4/10/2013 11:08:17 AM
JohnnyShred612 posted...

It can be justified by saying that the game takes place in the most turbulent era of the world's history. It's like WW2 for Azeroth right now, they've never seen this kind of conflict.

I don't mean it literally can't be justified, they're the gods of the machine, they can explain things however the hell they want. I mean that as far as good narrative goes this element of WoW really does not qualify. Not that it's not worth it. I genuinely have no idea what is going on in MoP, but I'm enjoying the raids.
---
---
#16MorgasaurusPosted 4/10/2013 11:57:27 AM
Anduin Wrynn is probably the best time-mark of this game.

Classic through Wrath: Child (Around 10)
Cataclysm: Adolescent (Around 15)
Mists of Pandaria: Young Adult (Around 18)

I'm not sure if there is any quest text or novel excerpts that nail down his age to correspond with any of the events of WoW or not.

Assuming our characters "finished their basic training" (which would happen just before leveling in the newbie zone) at 18 years of age, they would be in their mid to late twenties now. Interestingly enough, if you make a Worgen you actually experience the Shattering first-hand while doing the newbie zone. But some indeterminate amount of time passes while you are recovering from being "feral."

It's interesting that how old your character is may actually depend on both what race you made and when you made it. If you made an original race/class combo in classic before the Shattering then it would be older than a character made in Cataclysm assuming all characters basically "begin their journey" around 18. All DKs would be as "old" as an original character in terms of how long he has existed in total counting the time he spent as a hero before dying and the time since being made into a DK by TLK.
---
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? ..."
- Matthew 16:26
#17GreatDrakePosted 4/10/2013 12:59:50 PM
I really think your characters age is up to you since at least for humans and gnomes you can have older looking ones please each race has different lifespans but what can be figured out is the time span between when WoW first started and MoP's release which I believe is between 7-10 years.
---
Bedlam Boy's Disturbing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2puDJun9iCA&feature=related
#18SoruguePosted 4/10/2013 1:16:56 PM
Can you imagine a night elf retelling the tale, 1000 years from wows present time? lol

" It was troubled times indeed, Kaldori, humans, and Dranei ...all dancing in nothing but their undergarments upon the cathedral steps of Stomwind.., People intentionally leaping from their mounts from great heights and plummeting to their doom....madness... how azeroth has survived this long is beyond me..."
---
Currently playing : Tomb Raider, Harvest Moon: ANB, Fire emblem Awakening, Persona 4 Golden, Ni No Kuni, The Last Story, Torchlight 2, Xenoblade Chronicales
#19Sir WillPosted 4/10/2013 1:28:13 PM(edited)
Classic through Wrath: Child (Around 10)
Cataclysm: Adolescent (Around 15)
Mists of Pandaria: Young Adult (Around 18)

Anduin isn't that old.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Anduin_Wrynn

"According to The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm and Wolfheart, which takes place before and after the Shattering, Anduin Wrynn is thirteen years old.[14][15]

Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War, stated that he is fourteen."

The only issue is this:

"This is at odds with in-game data that states that World of Warcraft: Cataclysm takes place 5 years after World of Warcraft."

However the original link says this about Cata: "While most sources seem to indicate that Cataclysm occurs a year after Wrath, there are a couple which would suggest it's three years instead. Dave Kosak confirmed on Reddit that the Battle for Hyjal was about seven years ago,[24] and that the sources which suggest otherwise are just estimating."

So Mists starts either 4 or 6 years after the start of WoW. most likely 4. Basically each expansion lasts a year.
---
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
#20LatiasSAPosted 4/12/2013 6:09:28 AM
I'd say early twenties in the beginning to 30's now for most of them, however you can make many races look noticeably older with the right face textures... Throws it off heavily.
---
PM me about scrolls of res. I have 19 referrals left.
Okay, I never let WoW boards down before. - Left4Shaman