This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I miss Wrath :(

#71failure_turtlePosted 4/16/2013 9:20:03 PM
ryanell666 posted...
Quantumpencil posted...
I'm sure you realize your argument is logically specious? There are far too many possible reasons for the decline of the player base - not limited to but including the games age and the aging of its built in audience, a more and more competitive MMO market, and the market wide move away from a P2P model which could also address such a trend?

You have to demonstrate much more than "two things happened to happen at the same time" for it to be a fact based argument.

Also, I'm quite sure wrath and cata were the height of the games popularity.

I'd open to an alternative for sure.

Two things happening at the same time could be called convienance, but looking at the trends, and the various content patches released over time and co-relating them to the population growth ( or lack thereof)...it's way too convienant to ignore that WoW's decline started when it went easy-mode mid WLK....

Yeah, age of the game is another factor for WoW's stagnant state. But I'd still be playing as faithfully as i was in the beginning, or more than current player base, if Blizzard choose another way to improve the game, to please all players instead of other than going full R----d. But who can honestly tell?

But one thing for sure, CAT lost over 2 millions subs during its era, CAT was not popular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_fallacy
---
Be yonce.
#72redundanciesPosted 4/17/2013 5:03:14 AM
The only big question I've been pointing out on this thread is, "If the game mechanics of Vanilla and TBC were so horrible, then how did it ever explode to 9 million subs, peaked at 12 million in the first half of WLK, then started stagnating or decreasing when Blizzard put in the easy-mode handicap features?"

The thing is the mechanics of vanilla and BC were great compared to competing MMOs at the time. But since the game has matured and gaming in general isn't restricted to twelve year olds and basement hermits anymore, the mechanics if released today would be considered bad.
#73ryanell666Posted 4/17/2013 2:40:33 PM
redundancies posted...
The only big question I've been pointing out on this thread is, "If the game mechanics of Vanilla and TBC were so horrible, then how did it ever explode to 9 million subs, peaked at 12 million in the first half of WLK, then started stagnating or decreasing when Blizzard put in the easy-mode handicap features?"

The thing is the mechanics of vanilla and BC were great compared to competing MMOs at the time. But since the game has matured and gaming in general isn't restricted to twelve year olds and basement hermits anymore, the mechanics if released today would be considered bad.

I'd understand that, until you said "considered bad", because that's just opinion based on an "if".

I thoroughly enjoyed the mechanics of Vanilla and BC, even the little things people may considered inconvenient. I mentioned earlier about flint and timber for campfires. Sure, it was a pain to give up 2 bag slots to make a fire, but inventory management is one of the little challenges found in most RPGs, MMO or consoles. But for the sake of convenience, and the patience of other types of players that changed. But it couldn't be denied by RPG purists, that it did take a little appeal away about what makes an RPG worthwhile.

Heck, I still don't see the point of scenarios and why they can just integrate them into open world events. Even BGs less than 40v40.

Don't get me wrong, I am not butt-hurt that there is no flint and timber anymore, but this is a microcosm toward the larger issue I have with this MMO, or any other MMO that decides to directly compete with WoW. Sooner or later, if Blizzard or any other MMO studio decides to keep trimming those little things that make RPGs what they are, they might as well just make a Super Mario MMO, or pay a sub for an online action platformer like the X-men arcade game.... Or just stick with competitively playing Call of Duty.....personally, I'd rather see a full-on Borderlands MMOFPS.

Back to saying "bad Mechanics", Chilton himself says there are more gamers who have once played WoW but no longer, than those who currently play. It can be assumed that the current mechanics itself is considered bad by the silent majority of gamers AND even current ones who re-sub on and off hoping that the game has improved. Age of the game matter little when you consider how even a finite game like a console RPG such as a 16 bit Final Fantasy can still hold sway over many gamers with smartphones, or a still functioning SNES.
#74TheCongoPosted 4/17/2013 3:45:02 PM
If we all played Vanilla now, the majority of us would find it frustrating with all the improvements that have been made of the years. No dungeon/raid finder, gear was incredibly difficult to get (40 man raids... screw that), it was buggy, and it was not casual friendly AT ALL. It was awesome definitely, but I think TBC and WOTLK marked WoW's greatest moments.

I used to hate getting groups together for dungeons, thank god the update during mid-wotlk gave us dungeon finder. The best thing they ever implemented imo.

MoP and Cata were just a mess.
---
"The worst thing about quotes found on the internet is you never really know if they are true or not." - Abraham Lincoln
#75LatiasSAPosted 4/17/2013 4:03:28 PM
I miss every plate class early on running around looking like deathknights, yes

don't forget your savage saronite set complete with tattered castle drape(or it's look-alike) along with titansteel destroyer for your typical deathknight starter suit at level 80
---
PM me about scrolls of res. I have 19 referrals left.
Okay, I never let WoW boards down before. - Left4Shaman
#76ryanell666Posted 4/19/2013 10:27:21 AM
TheCongo posted...
If we all played Vanilla now, the majority of us would find it frustrating with all the improvements that have been made of the years. No dungeon/raid finder, gear was incredibly difficult to get (40 man raids... screw that), it was buggy, and it was not casual friendly AT ALL. It was awesome definitely, but I think TBC and WOTLK marked WoW's greatest moments.

I used to hate getting groups together for dungeons, thank god the update during mid-wotlk gave us dungeon finder. The best thing they ever implemented imo.

MoP and Cata were just a mess.

That is the argument I'm sort of stating. Who's to say that those Improvements are good for the game? If They were such great improvements then why hasn't the game continued with its growth? Why did the game's population start to dwindle when the LFD feature was introduced?

Sure YOU can say you think it's the best thing since slice bread, because it's convenient for you to take advantage of such a feature, and not take any social responsibility to other players. You can disregard the challenge and the "journey" and walk right up to the upper tiers if the game and take the credit like it was a hard thing to do.

As for being 'buggy', tell me of ONE MMORPG (or any game console or PC) that doesn't have bugs or glitches during its vanilla era?