This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Leveling as a Paladin - question on spec...

#1DavzzPosted 4/15/2013 2:53:21 AM
So here's the situation:

Made a Paladin Alt. Spec Prot because he was intentionally made to have a Tank character, leveled him to 30, got Holy as my Dual Spec and... realize I don't have the DPS spec Retribution for leveling at all. Now I'm level 55 though which apparently means I took a really long time to realize that.

I suppose I could reset Holy and put Retribution there before the reset gold cost goes through the roof but I want to know if it will make solo leveling significantly faster than Prot. I don't even use Holy that much because it requires completely different gear from Prot.
---
http://ontlogy.wordpress.com/
"Don't blame me, blame yourself or the RNG."
#2JiruruPosted 4/15/2013 2:55:27 AM
The talent respec gold cost never really goes above a pittance anyway so that shouldn't be a concern.
---
"It felt like the music was aimed right at me... like a missile!"
#3monkeehandsPosted 4/15/2013 2:57:20 AM
Although questing will be a touch slower at higher levels this will be offset by the fact that you will never have to wait for a dung if you have a tank and healer spec
#4ElaeusPosted 4/15/2013 2:57:23 AM
Well honestly you can level easily as protection and with the same efficiency by questing, at least to lv80. The question now is whether or not you want to have a retribution spec.
---
My heart just wouldn't be in it, you know? Haven't got one.
#5bravo1Posted 4/15/2013 6:23:08 AM
Seeing as Protection does ridiculous damage at <90, is virtually invincible, and gets insta-queue for LFD...I don't think you have to worry about a Retribution spec.
#6Davzz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 6:50:57 AM
Hmm, I'm definitely keeping Prot but I might still drop Holy because I don't want to look for a completely different set of equipment just to utilize it. I have a Priest for healing anyway.

bravo1 posted...
Seeing as Protection does ridiculous damage at <90

What changes at level 90 that makes Prot paladins stop dealing "ridiculous" damage?
---
http://ontlogy.wordpress.com/
"Don't blame me, blame yourself or the RNG."
#7ElaeusPosted 4/15/2013 10:17:36 AM(edited)
Davzz posted...
What changes at level 90 that makes Prot paladins stop dealing "ridiculous" damage?

This is a very expansive topic, but I will try (there is also a tl;dr).

Ideally speaking, protection is a tank spec and shouldn't compete in damage with dps classes, right?

WRONG. First of all, tank damage in theory always mattered. The more damage your tanks are also dishing out, the faster the fights will be over, the more progression will be made. In Cata, Blizzard introduced "Vengeance" to emphasize on that in PvE, but balanced tanks to ideally always still be bellow dpsers, which in my opinion worked very well but lead into a kind of stale game play (not to mention fight mechanics tanking wise wre non interesting, which is sad because the fights were mostly awesome from dps and healers PoVs, but this is another topic altogether).

What happened in MoP is that when Blizzard designed tanking all together to follow the active mitigation model, they were able to come out with a very interesting concept to turn all the tank classes into something similar to what death knights has been all of Cata, and that is a really good thing. What also happened in MoP however is with the way endgame fights are designed, tanks are getting very high vengeance that they are beating half the dps specs currently ingame down on the damage meters even on heroic mode it's funny. Things like "prot pala haste build" helped to further enforce this model.

All above is end game, and since the numbers are balanced around that, while leveling it is the common thing to see tanks topping meters because Blizzard's threat/vengeance modifiers work differently in lower level (percentage wise). It doesn't mean the group sucks, it means Blizzard is bad at balancing low levels.

tl;dr: Protection STILL does very high damage (or using your own words: Ridiculous) depending on their build and the fight. More adds in the fight or certain gimmicks usually result into more vengeance which lead to tanks leading the damage meters in some fights.
---
My heart just wouldn't be in it, you know? Haven't got one.
#8Wookie_Is_BackPosted 4/15/2013 10:36:36 AM
Blizzard being "bad at balancing at lower levels" implies they even try. Since Cata, everything they did with 1-80 stuff has done nothing but trivialize the content further. It's a safe bet they like how much damage tanks do at lower levels. More damage means more people leveling as prot, means more tanks.
#9GForceDragonPosted 4/15/2013 11:04:21 AM
Davzz posted...
Hmm, I'm definitely keeping Prot but I might still drop Holy because I don't want to look for a completely different set of equipment just to utilize it. I have a Priest for healing anyway.

If you go ret, you'll still need different equipment, but will compete with warriors and DKs for it. Going Holy pretty much guarantees that int plate just falls off a conveyer belt and directly into your bags.
---
"activision merger bobby kotick call of duty casual bad scrub hardcore activision greedy diablo glitchy buggy activision bobby kotick"-halomonkey1_3_5
#100pt1muzPr1m3Posted 4/15/2013 11:23:56 AM
get a ret spec and get glyph of harsh words. Enjoy your one shots.
---
Twenty-three is number one!